Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
John P. Moore

Re: Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Post by John P. Moore » 28 Feb 2014, 01:44

I know that this point has been argued before, but I believe that the comments made by some members on this thread would be much more meaningful if people would use their actual name, rather than hiding behind a screen name. I have no idea who many of you are and it is hard to take your posts very seriously. I know that I am not alone in this belief. Someone with a name like "Jochen" might be someone with Peiper sympathies or some kind of teenage SS fan boy like we have seen so often in the past for all I know. Too often people using peculiar screen names behave more like snipers, rather than adding anything of significance to the discussion.

John

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 28 Feb 2014, 02:42

I don't know of anything really negative that can be said about a lot of the WSS personnel such as Wisliceny, Weidinger, Stadler, and Harmel, as far as warcrimes are concerned. Kumm, though I respect him as a soldier, his time in command of Prinz Eugen always seemed to be the most problematic due to the anti-partisan warfare that was involved.....His book on Prinz Eugen is an excellent tactical history book, but I feel it might white wash certain actions...Either way I love Yerger's books, and wish more author's can release quality books of that nature.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 28 Feb 2014, 06:41

John P. Moore wrote:I know that this point has been argued before, but I believe that the comments made by some members on this thread would be much more meaningful if people would use their actual name, rather than hiding behind a screen name. I have no idea who many of you are and it is hard to take your posts very seriously. I know that I am not alone in this belief. Someone with a name like "Jochen" might be someone with Peiper sympathies or some kind of teenage SS fan boy like we have seen so often in the past for all I know. Too often people using peculiar screen names behave more like snipers, rather than adding anything of significance to the discussion.

John
Must say I agree. More constructive to actually work on the book I'm writing than banter with anyone to much of a coward to comment under his own name. Same with those who have the obsession to prove any negative aspect on a topic or group, rabid hatred seems a less than constructive time expenditure. So back to what I am doing (research that gets published), rather than argue with those who have some other purpose I'm unable to grasp, nor care to.

Harro

Post by Harro » 28 Feb 2014, 08:26

I think it is quite obvious from his forum profile that "Jochen S." - who joined AHF in 2002 - isn't a "teenage SS fanboy" and his 185 quality posts about his contacts with Waffen-SS veterans account for not being somebody who gets his knowledge exclusively from books and "superficial web searches". So perhaps, yes, some people should return to their ivory towers and stick to writing books instead of calling people they don't know anything about "moronic" and "cowards".

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 28 Feb 2014, 08:33

I suggest that we all get back to the main topic of this thread, Danny Parker's new book on the convicted war criminal, SS colonel Peiper.

Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. » 28 Feb 2014, 09:41

My forum name has nothing to do with the way this thread has developed. My real name is Mike S., Jochen S. being the name of my son who was born only months before I joined this forum and whom I am proud of. So no big mystery or hiding behind any name here. Like Timo wrote a quick forum-search before making a statement like ‘superficial web searches’ would have proven otherwise. I also wasn´t aware, rather naively it turnes out, that `knowing` is related to how many books one´s published and during which time-frame, which basically means ‘you have nothing published, so shut up’.
I only made one comment which in my opinion is justified. One should never forget that some of ones befriended SS commanders had a seriously – and I truly mean – seriously more darker side as well than being only a SS veteran. This comment alone already was enough to use terms like ‘moronic’ and ‘cowards’, so yes by all means lets get back on topic and act like this is normal.

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 28 Feb 2014, 12:28

"......this is supposed to be only the first part of what may be a total of three to four books."

How on earth can a relatively insignificant military-historical figure such as Peiper merit multiple biographies, one of which takes 20 years to write and may appear in 3-4 volumes?

A mystified Sid.

Harro

Post by Harro » 28 Feb 2014, 20:04

Sid Guttridge wrote:"......this is supposed to be only the first part of what may be a total of three to four books."

How on earth can a relatively insignificant military-historical figure such as Peiper merit multiple biographies, one of which takes 20 years to write and may appear in 3-4 volumes?

A mystified Sid.
Because Peiper, as adjutant and favorite of Himmler, was right in the centre of a lot more than most people realize: in a military sense he was indeed quite insignificant but combined with his position right in the middle of nazism and all nazism stood for he is the ideal starting point for an in-depth evoluation.

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 28 Feb 2014, 20:51

Sid Guttridge wrote:"......this is supposed to be only the first part of what may be a total of three to four books."

A mystified Sid.
Maybe you also should read Westemeier's doctoral thesis which was released some weeks ago by Schöningh Verlag "Himmlers Krieger. Joachim Peiper und die Waffen-SS in Krieg und Nachkriegszeit". Table of contents here: http://www.schoeningh.de/uploads/tx_mbo ... 411_iv.pdf

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 01 Mar 2014, 03:10

I am very interested in purchasing Westemeier's PhD Thesis. I was just wondering other than being longer how is it in comparison to his Joachim Peiper book??? Thanks.

Reader3000

Post by Reader3000 » 01 Mar 2014, 16:13

krichter33 wrote:I am very interested in purchasing Westemeier's PhD Thesis. I was just wondering other than being longer how is it in comparison to his Joachim Peiper book??? Thanks.
I didn't find time to read it yet (for which I have to go to the local university's library, because it is expensive). However, it puts Peiper in a broader context, I assume.

pim

Post by pim » 02 Mar 2014, 04:16

1. Point taken Timo. Peiper's role as adjutant to Himmler, etc is worthy of in-depth study and provides avenues of much needed information. I must admit that I have all the Peiper books and I will no doubt buy the Parker book when it comes out. Having just visited Parker's web-site I am impressed with his replies and shared information and I believe his future book will be very well researched and objective. However it would be great to see a thorough bio on someone like Gottlob Berger or Richard Schultze (Kossens) who was an adjutant/aide to people like Eicke, Ribbentrop, Hitler. And it'd be great to see your research on Knittel published. After Parker's book surely the life of Peiper has been done to death. If only the French police were as thorough as the recent researchers/authors on Peiper, then they may have identified and arrested the low-life cowards that murdered Peiper. But that's another story.
2. Jens Westemeier's PhD published by Schoeningh is very good with more information than his previous Peiper books. It still has that "self-hating German" slant about it but it's not as bad as his Schiffer published book. If you can ignore that slant the information he has unearthed is excellent. The book might be expensive but one gets what they pay for.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 03 Mar 2014, 00:29

I really can't stand the "self-hating" slant, but if it is not as strong as the Schiffer book then I will definitely buy it for the information and the research. I also hope a certain Knittel book comes out one day... :milwink:

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 04 Mar 2014, 12:55

"Self-hating" is the revisionist way of saying, "I can't argue with his facts, so I'll undermine the author instead".

Cheers,

Self-loathing Sid.

Jochen S.

Post by Jochen S. » 04 Mar 2014, 16:33

I understand if people feel that the Schiffer Peiper book is sometimes "too much" but I don't feel it is biased the way Agte's book is. My opinion, do not compare both books. I prefer a critical book over a glorifying one. Agte completely ignores the darker side of Peiper and other SS warriors, their knowledge of and involvement in warcrimes. Westemeiers "Himmlers Krieger" is much more straightforward. All remarks and information provided are sourced with some very interesting 'new' material. Westemeier does have his own style, as Parker has, but if you are interested in true history, than you will love both.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”