Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
pim

Re: Danny Parker's new Peiper book to be released.

Post by pim » 04 Mar 2014, 22:05

Dear Mr. Guttridge. Do you ever have anything of value to say? If you think I'm a "revisionist" then you have again absolutely no idea.

Harro

Post by Harro » 04 Mar 2014, 22:16

Suggesting that Peter is a revisionist is indeed as far-fetched as can be. Through the years I've allways known him as somebody with a neutral stance towards SS veterans and their stories and an very open yet critical mind for historical fact-finding. the "self-hating German" slant he mentions is something I find very recognizable: a tendency to be critical about ones past far beyond what's reasonable. The Germans frequently show such slants about WW2, the Dutch do the same when it comes to slave trade in the 18th and 19th century.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 05 Mar 2014, 07:46

There is a way to by objectively critical of oneself and one's subject without reverting to personal polemical attacks against the subject that leads to the complete reduction of historical validity that would otherwise have been accomplished by a more professional historian. It is easy to pass off such criticisms with semi witty responses that don't address any of the actual problems, than to actually acknowledge what objectivity in history really means. As said before, Westemeier's research is excellent, yet extremely polemical. I accept the facts that have been established by Westemeier/Parker as long as they are well sourced, which I believe they are. There isn't anyone here who has a problem with any such argument, rather it seems there are some who have problems with any criticism on the subject of real objectivity...
Last edited by krichter33 on 05 Mar 2014, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 05 Mar 2014, 07:49

Jochen, you have convinced me. I'll buy the new Westemeier book!

Rob - wssob2

Post by Rob - wssob2 » 06 Mar 2014, 08:59

Because Peiper, as adjutant and favorite of Himmler, was right in the centre of a lot more than most people realize: in a military sense he was indeed quite insignificant but combined with his position right in the middle of nazism and all nazism stood for he is the ideal starting point for an in-depth evoluation.
Spot on. Peiper as a subject is a lightning rod because he combines the "white hat" Waffen-SS military hero glamour with the "black hat" side of the SS that dealt with institutionalized racism, tyranny and genocide. As a guy who helped organize inspection tours of concentration camps and watched a T-4 gassing, he was in the thick of the "black hat" activities.

Looking forward to Parker's book being released!

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 06 Mar 2014, 13:23

Hi Pim and Harro,

(1) I suggested no such thing and (2)nobody has contradicted my proposition.

Cheers,

Sid.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 07 Mar 2014, 03:00

I agree with Westemeier's research and believe it is very accurate. Yet at the same time I offer criticism of his style of writing as being overly sentimental and emotional. This doesn't seem to be the reaction of someone who "can't argue with the facts," thus undermines the author. One can objectively criticize and praise at the same time. The proposition doesn't apply here.

DargesFlyKiller

Post by DargesFlyKiller » 27 Nov 2014, 15:33

Just purchased Danny Parker's new book on Peiper off Ebay today, Looking forward to it as i thoroughly enjoyed 'Fatal Crossroads'.

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 27 Nov 2014, 16:01

DargesFlyKiller wrote:Just purchased Danny Parker's new book on Peiper off Ebay today, Looking forward to it as i thoroughly enjoyed 'Fatal Crossroads'.
8O - I thought it was only due out next week - well spotted ! - I know a lot of people are hoping to find a copy in their Christmas Stocking - I look forward to discussing any talking points here in the next few weeks :)

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 28 Nov 2014, 23:49

Ordered mine too from e-bay yesterday. For some reason Amazon UK are not making it available til 15/1/2015 !

Ron

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 02 Dec 2014, 01:23

Facebook link to 'Hitler's Warrior' for anyone who wants to discuss any points it raises with DP.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hitlers- ... 7267167819

C

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 03 Dec 2014, 23:40

I received my copy of ‘Hitler’s Warrior’ today and would like to give it the thumbs up here to all interested parties. Firstly a small confession, I had already read this book some time ago as DP had asked me to review the parts that concerned Peiper’s time on the EF in the knowledge that I was familiar with them from my own research. I had contacted him about a lingering question from that research in September and some interesting conversations ensued. He was aware that I had access to some of the documents that he was citing and I think he was also aware that I’m a stickler for allegations to accurately reflect the information in the primary document. On reviewing them, I was relieved to see that there were no large ‘leaps of faith’ being made in his allegations. However we did tussle over a few word choices but the ultimate decision lay with him as to how he wanted to present the evidence. In the end with some minor changes, we both came out fully satisfied. Of course I couldn’t resist proof reading all the book and hopefully my subsequent input was more of a help than a hindrance!

So what can you expect from this book. Firstly, the price quoted is very competative for a book that has so much excellent information crammed between its covers. The notes section is breath-taking and for those of us who like to know if the information we are reading is correctly backed up, you will not be disappointed with the quality and depth here. The body of a work is rendered worthless IMO if the references and citations are remiss. But as I indicated, you will not be disappointed on this score. The rumour is that DP has spent 20 years amassing and researching this information and this is the place it shows. The book is more about Peiper the ‘man’ and less about Peiper the ‘soldier’ – although we do get some insights into the military engagements and we do follow his career path and especially his time with Himmler. There are some interesting insights divulged in Peiper’s letters to Himmler’s mistress and there is a terrific piece depicting Himmler and Peiper’s last meeting when all hope of the ‘Endsieg’ was gone. This piece rounds of their relationship perfectly and I know its inclusion was very much at the 11th hour but look out for it, it’s pure gold. I felt the book flowed very well and it kept me engaged at all times, I also found it very hard to put down. DP’s style is not to do the thinking for you, its simply to put the evidence before you and let you decide the implications. I didn’t feel at any time that DP was trying to demonise or promote Peiper, he leaves that up to his reader, which was very refreshing.

As a Peiper bio ‘Virgin’ I do confess that I found the Malmedy trial chapter slightly confusing as I was not sure of the implications of some of Peiper’s answers on the stand but this shouldn’t be a problem for the majority of you who are very familiar with those times. I had no such problem in any of the other chapters and I don’t want to go into much detail as this may spoil a great read for those who are still eagerly awaiting their copies. My personal pluses were the inclusion of some new Wünsche information (always welcome), the publishing at last of the evidence that Kurt Meyer was responsible for Jefremowka, (This was not published in order to exonerate Peiper but to show the brutality of the LSSAH on the EF), As you can imagine it was obviously a very happy occasion when I saw that it would be included. I was also intrigued with all the evidence presented about the night that Peiper died. I think this is one of the biggest talking points in the book – I thought it was crystal clear what happened that night but my take on it doesn’t seem to match many theories !!– perhaps a new thread needs to be made for those of us who want to go head to head on that debate ! I believe that this book has something for everyone, from those who want to thread the philosophical road and gain insight into Peiper’s psyche to those who want to know how life panned out for those who were once top of the heap and then found themselves post war as the social pariahs of their day.

With regard to the photo’s included, there are some that will be very familiar and some that are new. My favourite (Besides a nice new one of Wünsche and Peiper at the Berghof of course!) is the 'unknown' figure from Peiper’s Btln in a ‘showboating’ pose as he lights his cigarette from the flames burning on the thatch of a house in the Kharkov Oblast! Maybe it’s just me, but he looks quite familiar!!

Some have already previously queried the need for a new Peiper book, but from talking to those who have an interest in the man and his times, this one has been hotly anticipated for some time and with very good reason. Its unbiased style and the depth of research is unrivalled and IMO its a must have addition to any serious historians library.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 04 Dec 2014, 04:25

Wonderful review. I just received mine and can't wait to read it....

talbright

Post by talbright » 22 Dec 2014, 20:52

My review on Amazon..
Danny Parker’s latest book, “Hitler’s Warrior” is a superb biography of controversial SS commander Jochen Peiper; in fact it should be the last word on this complicated, enigmatic individual. Those looking for an analysis of his military exploits or details of the Malmedy Trial can refer to other works. This is a studiously footnoted yet wonderful read about Peiper the man and his times. Unlike many authors, Parker blends first rate research with a winning and witty writing style. Peiper’s career is of supreme interest because he bridged the gap between the homicidal racial policies of the SS state and the military role of the Waffen SS as part of that state. As Himmler’s adjutant, Peiper was an eyewitness and confidante to all of his bosses’ Nordic fantasies and implementation of the early stages of the Holocaust. As a Waffen SS military “hero”, Peiper became a Nazi poster boy, a dashing armored warfare Siegfried. In Der SS -Staat, neither was incompatible with the other.
Peiper the man is more difficult to assess, but Parker lays out all the facts for the reader to judge, including many very personal letters. Peiper comes across as a Janus faced man throughout his life. He seemed to toggle seamlessly between the thoughtful, literate, humanist whose conversation over wine would be quite welcome in any polite society, a lover of nature and man’s relationship to the natural world, and the bombastic, yet harshly cynical Nazi true believer devoted to the end. Very revealing and a pivot in the book was Peiper’s reaction to the SS leadership’s role in his brother Horst’s suicide (also an SS officer), over accusations of homosexuality. In requesting reassignment to his old combat unit, was this a reaction to both his growing witness to the SS depravity in the East and the disillusionment with his brother’s demise, a ritual “cleansing” of himself at the Front? A failed attempt to restore what idealism he had left? Typically, Peiper provided no explanation, but he was set on a complex path to personal doom which would end in a burnt out country house in eastern France in 1976.

The chapters on his postwar saga are very poignant as he attempts to square his own personal legacy but fails miserably; an old comrade relates how Peiper wanted to change but in the end, he could not….”the weight of the past was too much.” These chapters, plus the absolutely stunning, almost cinematic first two chapters (think the opening scenes of Lawrence of Arabia) book end a cautionary tale well told for all young men who might follow false gods. Perhaps, the only positive legacy of Peiper’s “botched” life are the now tall trees he planted at his last home, silent serene guardians of the ghosts of the countless victims of World War II. This is probably how the old warrior would have wanted to be remembered, the wind rustling through the leaves as the birds sing upon their return in the Spring….

yellow14

Post by yellow14 » 23 Dec 2014, 20:22

Enjoyed seaburn's review. Well done, and I agree wholeheartedly concerning the chapters covering the trial. It was confusing, but I have great respect for Peiper after reading those chapters. Not so much for the soldiers that apparently sacrificed their honor in order to save their own asses.

I should finish the book today or tomorrow and have enjoyed it.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”