Book Review: Japan-1941-Countdown to Infamy

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Book Review: Japan-1941-Countdown to Infamy

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 12 Mar 2014, 21:48

Noticed a new book by a Eri Hotta, concerning the path to war between Japan, the US & sundry allies. Anyone familiar with Hotta & his scholarship or this book? Any opinions?

http://www.dallasnews.com/entertainment ... -hotta.ece

Wellgunde

Re: Book Review: Japan-1941-Countdown to Infamy

Post by Wellgunde » 12 Mar 2014, 22:45

Miss Hotta has written a number of books that seem to belong to the University "publish or perish" genre. I have not seen or read any of them. She was born in Japan and brought up in the U.S. so she certainly has the language skills and the psychological insights to bring something new to what is a well covered topic: the Japanese decision to initiate the Pacific War. Does she accomplish that task? I don't know; I will have to wait to read it to offer an opinion. I can, however, tell you what others have said. The trade reviews were generally favorable, although Book List called it "frustratingly flawed." Reader reviews have tended to be very favorable but sometimes you have to take these with a grain of salt. Bottom line, this is an academic diplomatic history.

I have requested a copy through inter-library loan. I will let you know what I think after I have read it.

Wellgunde
γνώθι σαυτόν

hisashi

Post by hisashi » 13 Mar 2014, 04:57

Biography on MacMillan site is as follows.
http://us.macmillan.com/panasianismandj ... 5/EriHotta
Eri Hotta was born and raised in Tokyo. She received a BA in history at Princeton and did her M.Phil. and D.Phil. in International Relations at Oxford, where she also taught from 2001-2005. She now lives in New York.
It seems that she has not published any book in Japanese.

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 17 Mar 2014, 06:42

I must admit that I started reading this book with a certain amount of skepticism. Lots of university professors write books but they are usually dull, dry things, long on facts, and really rather dull. Most of them end up gathering dust on library shelves. Dr. Eri Hotta has written a book about Japan's decision to go to war which I am certain will become one of the standard references on this subject. Her prose is eminently readable and her arguments and exposition are clearly set out and explained. This is not a particularly exciting topic but Hotta keeps the narrative moving and holds the reader's interest. This is the only book in English about Japanese decision making in the months and years leading up to December 1941 which has been based almost exclusively on Japanese language sources. We've read about "who" led Japan to war and we've read about "why" Japan went to war but Hotta's book is the first I've seen which also includes the "how."

Previous works have explored this subject largely from an analysis of political, economic, and military aspects. Hotta shows the situation was much more complex than that. She takes a look as well at the social, cultural, historical, and behavioral background which informed and in some cases dictated Japanese actions. She also considers the subtle and sometimes not so subtle influence of the Japanese language itself in the statements and actions of the principals.

The book includes one chart, a chronology, list of characters, and notes. There is no bibliography (sources are listed in the notes).

This is an exceptional book. I very highly recommend it. Having read it, I plan to add a copy to my personal library.

Wellgunde
γνώθι σαυτόν

Rob Stuart

Post by Rob Stuart » 17 Mar 2014, 12:31

I bought a copy last month. I am not especially well versed in the developments it covers but so far as I can see there is no major error or omission, and I found it well written, interesting and informative.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 17 Mar 2014, 12:45

I guess I'm going to have to read it.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

john whitman
In memoriam

Post by john whitman » 17 Mar 2014, 12:54

I thought that it was pretty good.

Bottom line (as I understand it), the Japanese realized that they could not win, but that miracles do happen (they did beat the Russians).

John

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 17 Mar 2014, 18:42

john whitman wrote:I thought that it was pretty good.

Bottom line (as I understand it), the Japanese realized that they could not win, but that miracles do happen (they did beat the Russians).

John
They didn't want to win, they just hoped for a draw that would leave them with what they needed to continue their program to create an empire out of eastern Asia.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 18 Mar 2014, 14:21

Lest you be forced to rely solely on my opinion, here are links to some reviews on the Hotta book:

Japan Times review: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/201 ... yg0sljn_IU

New York Times review (draws certain parallels with present day): http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/07/opini ... t-day.html

The Australian (discusses Hotta's husband, Japanophile and frequent writer on Japan, Ian Baruma): http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/a- ... 1117941386

The Guardian review: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... nniversary

Interview with Hotta:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdGF93w3TgY

Kirkus review: https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-revi ... apan-1941/

Hotta is also the author of Pan-Asianism and Japan's War, 1931- 1945.

Wellgunde
γνώθι σαυτόν

cstunts

Post by cstunts » 20 Mar 2014, 21:06

Hello,

The book is an agreeable examination of the subject, but it is not terribly revelatory. IMO only the uninformed would see it as such. I did see her lengthy online interview (conducted by her husband) and that clarified some of her thinking and her goals in writing the book. But, again, it really breaks little new ground & a few of her translations are disappointing. (I have seen the same Japanese material translated elsewhere & better, that is.) If you have read the Morley volumes you will have already acquired a better understanding of the subject, actually. As a single-volume work, Michael Barnhart's study, JAPAN PREPARES FOR TOTAL WAR (Cornell U Press, 1987) is far superior & absolutely essential.

The extent to which middle-echelon officers with extremist views drove the decision-making process is perhaps under-emphasized...or at least in comparison with her readings of civilian complicity. On the the other hand, the nexus between civilians (in the corporate world primarily), politicians, diplomats, and the military is something that cannot be over-emphasized. Talk of "consensus" decision-making processes which appear more frequently nowadays in published studies strikes me as rather misleading. It was entirely possible for a very small cabal of zealots to influence events to an astonishing (& catastrophic) degree.
The emergence of gekkokujo was in no uncertain terms a very real & sinister development.

Nonetheless, as a primer the book is a good one, and nicely produced, even if it is also expensive. I would prefer to wait for it to reach used bookstore shelves or come out in a paperback edition for less money.

FWIW

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 20 Mar 2014, 23:41

Does Barnhart's book deal with the February 26th Incident much? I think I have another of his books in a box somewhere.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Wellgunde

Post by Wellgunde » 21 Mar 2014, 03:42

OpanaPointer wrote:Does Barnhart's book deal with the February 26th Incident much? I think I have another of his books in a box somewhere.
Several sentences and a footnote only. Mr. Barnhart has written one other book of which I am aware, Japan and the World Since 1868.
γνώθι σαυτόν

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 21 Mar 2014, 13:33

Wellgunde wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:Does Barnhart's book deal with the February 26th Incident much? I think I have another of his books in a box somewhere.
Several sentences and a footnote only.
I need to find a good study of "government by assassination".
Mr. Barnhart has written one other book of which I am aware, Japan and the World Since 1868.
Yeah, I got that one for a class at Purdue. It's "in one of these boxes." :oops:
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

cstunts

Post by cstunts » 21 Mar 2014, 20:23

One of the better--if not best--books in English on Niniroku jiken is this: Shillony, Ben-Ami (1973). Revolt in Japan: The Young Officers and the February 26, 1936 Incident. Princeton University Press.

Also take a look at Crowley, but for the real stuff, only the real stuff will do...and by that I mean biographies and memoires written by actual participants, etc. Only through those can you get a real flavor for the complexities of Japanese military-civilian relationships & the machinations behind these events...As you know this was scarcely the only such 'jiken' of its kind.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 21 Mar 2014, 22:04

cstunts wrote:One of the better--if not best--books in English on Niniroku jiken is this: Shillony, Ben-Ami (1973). Revolt in Japan: The Young Officers and the February 26, 1936 Incident. Princeton University Press.

Also take a look at Crowley, but for the real stuff, only the real stuff will do...and by that I mean biographies and memoires written by actual participants, etc. Only through those can you get a real flavor for the complexities of Japanese military-civilian relationships & the machinations behind these events...As you know this was scarcely the only such 'jiken' of its kind.
Thanks, I'll try to find a copy.

ETA: Ouch, cheapest is $75. Oh well.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”