German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police vol. 7

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police vol. 7

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 24 Mar 2014, 04:28

Below is the cover for volume 7 of “German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police.” The first of two volumes covering “Wiking,” it includes development of the divisional components. The prior unit studied in the series had the most detailed text, captions, and footnotes data for that particular chapter so far in the series when it was released. The similar chapter for “Wiking” has twice the number of words (I’ve never wasted space with empty fluff) and four times the photos.

All the Ia (1.Generalstabsoffizier) and divisional commanders are covered, including the most correct and detailed biography of Herbert Gille written to date. It both elaborates prior studies of him while correcting what others have written (including myself). Then the first 78 German Cross in Gold holders of the formation include the two longest biographies among the recipients in that area between the two volumes. The 13 Roll of Honor Clasp recipients and 20 Close Combat Clasp in Gold holders of “Wiking,” including some great images for the latter that are always hard to find.

The significant addendum area has a large number of previously unseen images of German Cross holders while receiving their awards and new details on a number of recipients of both the German Cross in Gold and Roll of Honor Clasp previously examined in the series. Also included are all the personal award documents for two Knight’s Cross and German Cross in Gold holders, aside from a third one in the main text. 432 pages, 242 illustrations.

After 13+ years the publisher had to increase price for this volume, I don’t know anyone who has held prices of anything that long. I’m surprised it logically didn’t happen years ago with the changing reality of printing costs in more than a decade since the initial Gold volume was released. Will post that when told, expect to hear in the coming week. Bender sent to printer, they create print template before sending him cost and being in Asia the back/forth e-mail takes a few days.

The link to publisher webpage includes a contact tab, send him your postal address and you’ll get a color brochure for all new releases:

http://www.bender-publishing.com/

As always I don’t personally sell copies. But 1 book dealer I know in my state does sell at militaria shows. After he receives his copies we meet half way between where we live, he buys me breakfast, and I personally inscribe/sign those who buy from him. Contact me at my below e-mail for his name/e-mail/address. He also offers a discount on price.

Right now I’m waiting for 2nd design galleys (check of my 1st corrections/additions/changes) of volume 8 from the publisher that covers the remaining 97 “Wiking” German Cross in Gold holders. Obviously the series is constant for those who seem to ask that with each volume. Despite a dozen major surgeries, including the Silver volume I’ve done 10 volumes in this series in 12 years along with helping multiple others with books they’ve written. I make it happen, consistently and at regular intervals. Always have, always will. When I have and post the price for volume 7 will add an update on “Totenkopf.”

Best wishes,
Mark C. Yerger
[email protected]
Attachments
5SSGC-cover.jpg

ttvon

Re: German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police vol. 7

Post by ttvon » 24 Mar 2014, 05:36

Hi,
Congratulation!

How many colour pics in ww2 are there from this new book?

Best

pim

Post by pim » 24 Mar 2014, 11:45

Thanks for this detailed update Mark. This is an outstanding series and I hope this volume comes out soon. It's been a while between drinks from the last one, but I know it'll be well worth the wait.
Bender Publishing prices are always value for money and this book will no doubt more than confirm that.
Furthermore very much looking forward to the other upcoming volumes and thanks for continuing with the addendums proving to be invaluable.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 26 Mar 2014, 23:14

Congratulations, Mark. Every volume is a treasure trove of invaluable data, and your determination/commitment to following through with this herculean enterprise is worthy of the highest admiration.

Best wishes,
~ Mike

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 27 Mar 2014, 13:28

Best Wishes and congratulations, Mark:

Those that know me, know that I feel the hobby is saturated with SS books, but YOURS are a must for every collection as you always bring something new to the study with each and every one. Every shelf should have this series. Looking foward to all the future volumes.

All the best for the future,

Mark

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 30 Mar 2014, 14:14

Forgot to check e-mail a couple days.
***price for volume 7 will be $54.95***

This update on “Totenkopf” is given due to such a heavy interest in the 3.SS-Panzer Division, something that has always personally amazed me. The sequence and which units thus far covered in the series was determined over 15 years ago based on my personal interests and working with specific veterans on particular elements of some units. I’d already started SS/Polizei German Cross holder research and the search for related material nearly 30 years ago (I started publishing “Das Reich” German Cross biographies in the 1980s).

While writing one book I’m always actually working on three with the series. So when you see a volume released I’m well past that. “Totenkopf” has 2 extra chapters in it for which there is no equivalent in the other units of the series and I had to write it in a different sequence than other volumes. Obviously to those following the series I’ve tried to increase the amount of information detail as the series progressed, both in main text as well with the notable addendum areas for past volumes. I have an equation that tells me in the publisher’s format what size the book will be and has always been accurate within five or 6 pages. While writing volume 5 I calculated “Totenkopf” would be a single volume of 475-500 pages, OK with publisher and he planned it that way.

Checking in monthly, when the equation for “Totenkopf” got to 650 pages (not even close to complete) I gave the publisher an update. After talking at length he decided he wanted it to be 2 similar-sized volumes. With the specific material I have, the extra chapters, and something different I’ve added, the Honor Clasp and Gold Combat Clasp holders will be in the 2nd “Totenkopf” volume. Units needing two volumes previously had them in part 1.

So Volume 9 (“Totenkopf” part I) will contain these chapters and material:

Introduction (significantly longer by necessity than prior volumes)

“Oberbayern," “Brandenburg," “Thüringen,"

and SS-Heimwehr Danzig

Combat History

Combat Elements

Division Commanders

1.Generalstabsoffizier (Ia)

First group of German Cross in Gold holder biographies

520 pages, 305 illustrations

Volume 10 contains the Division’s remaining German Cross holders, the 28 Roll of Honor Clasp recipients, 33 Close Combat Clasp in Gold Holders, Single-Handed Tank Destruction awards, a major chapter on the history and commanders of the numerous numbered Totenkopfstandarten not incorporated as original cadre to include “Kirkenes” and “Ostmark,” Officer rosters, Feldpost lists, and other information. Among the material incorporated in the two volumes are the photo albums and personal award documents for 6 “Totenkopf” German Cross in Gold holders, three of whom were also awarded the Knight’s Cross.

Many who already contributed to the “Totenkopf” study thought they had nothing of use, but what they had was someone they simply could not identify. I did in many instances and some is already in the two volumes. So images even with no ID, if a clear facial image is seen, are of interest for officers Hauptsturmführer or higher. Also needed are images of commanders of the first 2 command levels (Standarte and Sturmbann) who were with the numbered Totenkopfstandarten and “Kirkenes.”

Volumes 9 and 10 do not include the SS-Totenkopf-Reiterstandarten already included in volume 4. Likewise I’m seeking award documents for lower level awards and decorations; Wound Badge, Infantry/Panzer Assault, Eastern Front, etc only if signed by more obscure commanders as well as formal German Cross in Gold documents. Not needed are award certificate examples signed by Eicke, Ullrich, Baum, Priess, Becker, Keppler, Kleinheisterkamp, or Simon.

As I said, I’m ahead of what you see being released. For the four units comprising the contents of volume 11 I’m looking for element commanders, First Staff Officers, German Cross, and Knight’s Cross holders images for these units to include photos as well as award documents signed by those personnel or given to them:

a) 13.Waffen-Gebirgs-Division der SS “Handschar” (kroatische Nr. 1) (other than Lepre material)

b) 15.Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (lettische Nr. 1)

c) 19. Waffen-Grenadier-Division der SS (lettische Nr. 2) (and 2.Lettische SS-Freiwilligen-Brigade)

d) SS-Panzer Brigade “Gross”

Thanks for all help and support, I welcome an e-mail impression after any of the readership get the new volume 7. Always helps to know what they liked most, want more of (if that’s possible and can be found), etc.

Best wishes,
Mark C. Yerger
[email protected]

Proofreader3

Post by Proofreader3 » 26 Apr 2014, 16:14

As a proofreader for R. James Bender Publications since 2002, I have proofed & edited over 25 of their books, seven of which were written by Mark Yerger. Volume 7 (“Wiking” part I) is the most comprehensive, researched, and footnoted book of his series to date. The research is second to none, his many sources within the German community allows him the freedom to quote from first hand sources, and his attitude is of the Military Historian without the bias usually encountered in books of this nature. Each book is factual, better than the one before, and provides an accurate insight to the horrors and acts of courage documented for each person. The only thing l have to say on the down-side is that he had to educate the small percentage of people who only want to hear or dwell on the most negative aspects during this part of human history.

Aside from having read both “Wiking” volumes I’m privy to most of the manuscript of his rather massive “Totenkopf” study. The first “Wiking” volume, I expect to have my book copy in May, has more detail and information than the previous units of the series covered thus far. “Totenkopf” has at least quadruple that amount of information, just the chapters before any biographies of Division Commanders or German Cross holders could easily be a book in itself. Most people still don't grasp that although many early camp guards (before slave labor and other approved actions) comprised only part of the original cadre of the 3rd SS Totenkopf Division, attrition due to combat losses in 1941 lowering that “guard percentage” of the division to near zero. The fact that many early guards volunteered for the newly formed division as an alternative to purely political guard functions is overlooked by authors who wish to dwell on and perpetuate the extreme negatives associated with the Death Head Units during the war years. And while reading the manuscript I found officers who left the Division and later served in the camp system had that fact equally covered in their career synopsis. But unlike many books those small-in-number examples alone were not used to infer that all the tens of thousands of men who served in “Totenkopf” were all Holocaust perpetrators.

This balanced “Totenkopf” study shows the military aspect of the formation, from an unbiased, researched point of view, with no other intention than to give a historically correct accounting of a highly successful, classic Division of the Waffen-SS. It is a classic example of the age-old adage....the truth will come out......even if it takes (in this case) over a half century. For any serious historian, collector, or general reader, I think Yerger’s “Totenkopf” study will be an instant “must-have” just to set the record straight regarding many facts in exhaustive detail. And by exhaustive I don’t see what else could possibly be put in the 1,000 or more pages they’ll comprise when printed. I am proud to be proofreader/editor of this series, most especially these four texts on “Wiking” and “Totenkopf.”

As a Force Recon Marine Veteran who served in Southeast Asia, I know the heartache and despair of my fellow vets, who, like the soldiers of the Waffen-SS, faced a population who discredited the people who served their country to the best of their ability, out of love for their country, with honorable, courageous, and selfless acts of bravery that has mostly been unrecognized till now. I think all of us, Military Historians, collectors, and general war-interested readers, owe a great debt of gratitude to Mark for his books which should have a special place in anyone’s library! Well Done Mark, Continue to March!!!!!

pim

Post by pim » 26 Apr 2014, 22:40

Thanks 'Proofreader 3' excellent review. I totally agree with every word you wrote. I can't wait for Volume 7 to be finally published and I am in particular looking very much forward to the Totenkopf volume. They are indeed must have books.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”