New books on the III. SS-Panzerkorps: Himmler's Favourite

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
krichter33

New books on the III. SS-Panzerkorps: Himmler's Favourite

Post by krichter33 » 12 May 2014, 01:49

Helion is publishing the following two volume set on the III. SS-Panzerkorps, "Himmler's Favourite - The Combat History of the III. SS- Panzerkorps," by Westberg, Mansson, and Brenden.

http://www.amazon.com/Himmlers-Favourit ... +favourite
Last edited by Marcus on 29 May 2014, 18:47, edited 1 time in total.

krichter33

Re: New books on the III. SS-Panzerkorps from Helion.

Post by krichter33 » 18 May 2014, 02:23

Does anyone with any knowledge of these books know if they are primarily picture books, or if they are a detailed combat history similar to Tieke's book? Thanks.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 18 May 2014, 20:49

I found the title very disturbing. I do not understand why any author would want to include the despicable name of HIMMLER in the title of any book about a Waffen-SS combat formation. Such a title can be expected to cause the veterans of the III. SS-Panzer Korps to turn over in their graves! Looks like sensationalism to boost book sales to me.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 18 May 2014, 22:34

I'm afraid that although we can cite examples of honorable character among individual officers and men, the Waffen-SS was and forever will be inextricably linked to its creator and overall commander, Heinrich Himmler. It's primary purpose was to secure "Lebensraum" in the East, thus paving the way for Himmler's [thank heavens] never-implemented "Generalplan Ost", which would have resulted in the extermination of some 30 million Slavs. Commanders of Waffen-SS combat formations were in attendance at Himmler's October 1943 "Posen Speech", during which he spoke very openly about the Final Solution of the Jewish Question (and that was but one of MANY speeches he gave to Waffen-SS and Wehrmacht personnel of all ranks that explicitly addressed the issue of what we now call genocide), and from top to bottom, the lot of them knew what their organizational kinfolk in the Sipo/SD were up to. Somehow the top-most leaders of the Waffen-SS, such as the almost sainted Paul Hausser, have been seen as sacred cows and men who had no time for or interest in politics nor any allegiance to Hitler. However, there is the following, excerpted from the "Final Interrogation Report" on Hausser (9 Jul. 1945, signed by Major Paul Kubala, CO of U.S. 7th Army Interrogation Center in Augsburg):

“Source is a firm believer in Hitler’s theories, and attempted to justify most of the Fuehrer’s deeds, but he talked freely on military matters. Formerly a Prussian [sic] general in the Army, source stressed the fact that he was primarily a military leader and not a politician…”
(Source: Interrogation Records Prepared for War Crimes Proceedings at Nuernberg, 1945-1947/OCCPAC Interrogation Transcripts And Related Records: Hausser, Paul; Publication Number M1270, Record Group RG238)

~ Mike

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 19 May 2014, 01:51

A lot of books now a days are either Hitler's this or Himmler's that, or Nazi whatever. It's a sensationalist title meant to sell books, something I expect from Schiffer, but am a little disappointed to see Helion do the same. However I never buy books based on titles. I'm just curious if this is a real detailed history or just a picture book...

BramvanS

Re: New books on the III. SS-Panzerkorps: Himmler's Favourite

Post by BramvanS » 31 May 2014, 20:01

I agree that I would also never use the name Himmler in a book about a combat history. Allthough it would not prevent me from buying the book, if the content is good. What's in the name?

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 02 Jun 2014, 02:09

I wonder how detailed the text history is, and what it encompasses, with maps and all. If anyone knows the authors maybe they can ask???

Orlov

Post by Orlov » 02 Jun 2014, 11:05

Hello!
The question title is usually reserved for ignorant from marketing dept. or the head of the publishing house - I have this same problem when were published my publication of Hitler's allies (I wanted Germany's Axis from 1941 to 1945 - it was too long). Please remember the excellent monographs by Lepre and Maclean also have "Hitler" in the title (publish by marvelous Schiffer) - and are standard monograph histrorycznych. And Lennart Westberg is experienced author. But this price - terrible
bestreg Orlov

Harro

Post by Harro » 03 Jun 2014, 09:41

Westemeier gives credible evidence that Peiper was Himmler's favourite, hence the title "A Biography of Himmlers SS commander" is very suitable. I'd day the title of the book by Westberg, Mansson, and Brenden is also very apt if the authors give sourced evidence that the III. SS-Panzer-Korps was indeed favoured by Himmler.

Michate

Post by Michate » 16 Jun 2014, 11:32

krichter,

you might play it safe and go with Tieke.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 18 Jun 2014, 20:55

...i know...;)

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 27 Nov 2017, 15:52

Any news?

Jan-Hendrik

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 28 Nov 2017, 08:22

....it keeps getting pushed back...now it says it is to be published in January...

phillip burke

Post by phillip burke » 22 Dec 2017, 00:09

Hello all, ive a book on the SS-Panzer Aufklarungs Abteilung 11 Nordland,published by Leandoer &Ekholm Forlag,by the same authour Lennart Westberg,and while its not the best laid out book ,the content is. Ive a feeling the book will be a similar layout to another book by Helion called Sunwheels and Siegrunen vol 1 by Marc Rikmenspoel. Its what i would call a photo history,and i was well impressed by the photos and in depth captions to photos,similar to After the Battle. Im looking forward to vol 2 but no release info so far, prob because both books deal with similar content ,

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”