Forthcoming Book: Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Remy Spezzano

Forthcoming Book: Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp

Post by Remy Spezzano » 18 Jun 2014, 05:29

We are currently working on a new RZM Publishing photo book project on KAMPFGRUPPE MÜHLENKAMP.

This multi part series will focus on the fighting which took place between Bialystok and Brest-Litovsk, July 17-22, 1944 an area northeast of Warsaw.

Military history author Douglas Nash (US Army Colonel Retired) has been researching the battle and will be writing all the text and captions and preparing the maps as well. Complimenting the text will be over 100 incredible "you are there" photos taken by professional photographer Ernst Baumann who at the time was an NCO with Panzergrenadier Regiment "Germania." which fought alongside the Panther Battalion of 5th Panzer Regiment "Wiking." These photos will be printed large and clear allowing you to see all the details.

We are going to try and publish this book before the end of 2014. More details will be posted by me later. In the meantime we welcome any information you may be willing to share with us regarding this topic. We already have a lot of detailed source material, but one never knows what else is floating around out there which could be beneficial to help telling this story. If you have something of interest we would like to hear from you. Please send me a PM. Thank you.

Note: This is only a promotional image and not the final cover.
KG_Mühlenkamp.jpg

krichter33

Re: Forthcoming Book: Kampfgruppe Mühlenkamp

Post by krichter33 » 18 Jun 2014, 20:56

looks great!!!

Remy Spezzano

Post by Remy Spezzano » 20 Feb 2015, 00:40

The book is almost finished. Text has been written, edited, and proofed. Maps are done.
And now we are in the process of putting it all together to make ready for the printer.
When we have a firm release date we will post it here.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 20 Feb 2015, 03:00

Remy, I was just wondering how much text is devoted to actual combat history, since that is my preference??? Thanks.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 26 Feb 2015, 03:17

Is there a lot of battle history with maps?

Remy Spezzano

Post by Remy Spezzano » 10 Jun 2015, 01:57

Cover for the upcoming photo book KAMPFGRUPPE MÜHLENKAMP.

As for the release date. If all goes well we should have copies for sale
in September 2015.

You should be able to pre order a copy today from your favorite military book dealer.
Please be sure to let them know in case they are not aware of its release.
Thanks!
kampfgruppe_muhlenkamp.jpg
kampfgruppe_muhlenkamp.jpg (159.94 KiB) Viewed 3454 times

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 12 Jun 2015, 22:11

From the content that I have seen I know that this book will be exceptionally good, both the superior quality of the photos that is second to none along with great maps and the detailed text in a writing style that is very readable.

John

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 13 Jun 2015, 02:02

How many pages of text is there?

Charles Trang

Post by Charles Trang » 16 Jun 2015, 16:28

This is a superb cover however I think this photo was not taken in July 1944 ! When one looks at the original picture, a signboard with a "F" appears on the right handside. It has been cut in this cover. This "F" probably refers to 10.SS-Panzerdivision "Frundsberg". So, this photo has probably been taken in early June 1944 when Kampfgruppe "Mühlenkamp" was attached to II.SS-Pz.Korps alongside SS-Pz.Div. "Hohenstaufen" and "Frundsberg". This is just a remark but I am sure the book is outstanding as I know the photos which are in it. They are just incredible in terms of quality. Moreover, Doug Nash is an excellent writer and researcher. His "Hell's Gate" is surely the best book ever written on the battle of Tscherkassy.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 16 Jun 2015, 16:57

Actually the red roadside sign with the "F" indicated the direction to a "Funkstelle" (radio station) that could be used for the transmission of messages.

John

Charles Trang

Post by Charles Trang » 17 Jun 2015, 08:15

It is always great to learn something new from the experts who are writing on this forum. Thanks John for correcting what could be a mistaken remark.

pim

Post by pim » 17 Jun 2015, 12:50

Very much looking forward to this book. No big deal but I liked the promotional cover much more than the to be published cover. Just hope the promotional photo is included in the body of the work.

DougENash

Post by DougENash » 17 Jun 2015, 18:57

We are 100% certain that the photo was taken in July 1944. The reason we know, is that they are in the sequence as taken by the photographer, Ernst Baumann, and the dates, locations, and personalities, as well as the events described, all correspond with the official records. That's one of the things about past representations of these pictures that we are trying to correct - they have been used by so many authors in so many books for so long, that the actual facts surrounding them have been lost. Now, with the discovery of the contact sheets and actual negatives, combined with the unit (Army, Corps, Division and Regimental) records, unit histories, and individual eyewitness accounts, we are able to correct/update the historical record. We intend to do the same with Volume II, which will take the reader from 24 July to the first week of August, when the Wiking Division became involved in the titanic struggle at the gates of Warsaw.

Remy Spezzano

Post by Remy Spezzano » 17 Jun 2015, 19:56

Regarding the sign with the letter F on the fence. John is correct in that it is a flag used by the signals company featuring a red base field with a large white “F" indicating Funkstelle (Wireless Radio Station).

Here is the rest of the photo not cropped where you can see the sign hanging on the fence.
I have included a color photo of a real flag for comparison. Color photo copyright: collectorsguild.com
Attachments
funker sign.jpg
funker sign.jpg (205.89 KiB) Viewed 3132 times

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 17 Jun 2015, 20:58

Kudos to you both for your adherence to digging deeper to uncover the facts and not regurgitating disinformation . You have whet my appetite, especially with the promo for volume II.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”