Best Goebbels biography?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Timmy
Banned

Best Goebbels biography?

Post by Timmy » 04 Jul 2014, 21:20

I've just recently finished the biography Doctor Goebbels: His Life and Death by Roger Manvell and I want to read more on the propaganda minister himself.

Can anybody recommend biographies on Goebbels (in English only)?

J. Duncan

Re: Best Goebbels biography?

Post by J. Duncan » 04 Jul 2014, 23:57

What you read was a very decent bio.

Others include:

Erich Ebermayer: "Evil Genius: Joseph Goebbels" (pulp, sensational 50's pb. written by contemporary)
Victor Reiman: "Goebbels" (good - older bio, similar to Manvell's )
Curt Reiss: "Goebbels" (not the best)
Ralf Reuth: "Goebbels" (very good - especially personal relations with women, psychology)
Toby Thacker: "Goebbels: His Life and Death" (very good, using latest published diaries)
David Irving: "Göbbels: Mastermind of the Third Reich" (good photo section, not so good thesis but interesting)
Rudolf Semmler: "Goebbels: The Man Next to Hitler" (reminiscences of Goebbels from a colleague)
Helmut Heiber: "Goebbels" (probably the finest I've read)
David Stewart Hull: "Film in the Third Reich" (best study of Goebbel's film industry)
Robert Edwin Herzstein: "The War Hitler Won: The Greatest Propaganda Campaign in History" (good study of Goebbel's
WWII propaganda and his actions during that time)
Hans Otto Meissner "Magda Goebbels: First Lady of the Third Reich" (about his wife but very informative on her husband)

Of course, the Diaries are very revealing and fascinating, including the rare "The Early Goebbels Diaires".

Peter Longerich's book on Goebbels will be published later this year (pub date : Oct. 2014)
I think it will be close to 1000 pages long!

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”