I can't find anywhere to buy a specific book, help?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Timmy
Banned

I can't find anywhere to buy a specific book, help?

Post by Timmy » 04 Jul 2014, 21:22

I really want to get my hands on the book Hitler's Foreign Workers: Enforced Foreign Labor in Germany Under the Third Reich but everywhere that has it for sale is sky rocket prices, does anybody know where this book is for sale?

Thank you.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Re: I can't find anywhere to buy a specific book, help?

Post by Andy H » 05 Jul 2014, 12:16

Hi Timmy

Given the publisher (CUP) and that its no longer in print, the prices quoted on various sites seem reasonable, though expensive within a personnel context.

I've known some people contact the Publisher (especially UPs) because they may well have links to specific booksellers/shops that either don't appear on the first pages of a internet search etc, or know other less obvious pathways and sources of getting a scarce book!

You could register your interest with several book finding service companies such as Albris etc, but obviously that will cost, or for now I would loan a copy from your local library or through the ILL (Inter-Library Loan) system. Costs will vary from around £3 to £15 ish if the book comes from the British Library in London.

Regards

Andy H

Timmy
Banned

Post by Timmy » 05 Jul 2014, 17:40

Andy H wrote:Hi Timmy

Given the publisher (CUP) and that its no longer in print, the prices quoted on various sites seem reasonable, though expensive within a personnel context.

I've known some people contact the Publisher (especially UPs) because they may well have links to specific booksellers/shops that either don't appear on the first pages of a internet search etc, or know other less obvious pathways and sources of getting a scarce book!

You could register your interest with several book finding service companies such as Albris etc, but obviously that will cost, or for now I would loan a copy from your local library or through the ILL (Inter-Library Loan) system. Costs will vary from around £3 to £15 ish if the book comes from the British Library in London.

Regards

Andy H
Its quite heavy to pay for the book when hopefully I'll be able to get it cheaper somewhere, I have paid over £20 for a book but £223.41 is quite ridiculously high. Here http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/3059 ... dp:1o1|mt:

I've tried searching Albris and could not find it there. Everywhere is just out of print/stock. :(

Which publisher should I try and contact? Sorry I've never contacted any publishers or anything so I'm a little bit lost.

Timmy
Banned

Post by Timmy » 05 Jul 2014, 19:47

I've contacted Cambridge University Press who published the book in 1997, hopefully I'll get the reply I'm wanting.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 05 Jul 2014, 20:16

I have to say I have been on similar 'hunts' only for the expensive reference to be quite poor value. . Better to try and borrow one before buying!

Timmy
Banned

Post by Timmy » 05 Jul 2014, 20:40

Michael Kenny wrote:I have to say I have been on similar 'hunts' only for the expensive reference to be quite poor value. . Better to try and borrow one before buying!
It seems even difficult to find to borrow. I don't really like borrowing from the library, I prefer to buy books so once I've read the book goes straight in my bookcase. :D

There is no way I'm paying over 200 pounds for a book.

I've emailed the publisher and albris, hopefully I'll get some luck.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 06 Jul 2014, 01:14

Hi Timmy

As I suggested and Micheal has suggested, I would look to borrow the book, which will 1 of 2 things.
Firstly it will tide you over until a reasonably priced copy becomes available and secondly, and maybe more
importantly it will give you a chance to way the book in terms of real value to you! You may well deem the book
worth a few extra pounds or glad you saved even a few pounds on a cheap find somewhere!

Regards

Andy H

Timmy
Banned

Post by Timmy » 06 Jul 2014, 12:20

Andy H wrote:Hi Timmy

As I suggested and Micheal has suggested, I would look to borrow the book, which will 1 of 2 things.
Firstly it will tide you over until a reasonably priced copy becomes available and secondly, and maybe more
importantly it will give you a chance to way the book in terms of real value to you! You may well deem the book
worth a few extra pounds or glad you saved even a few pounds on a cheap find somewhere!

Regards

Andy H
I'm struggling to even find a copy to borrow near me. It seems quite a rare book these days since its translated publish in 1997. :(

I've tried contacting a few of the places that have it listed but it is out of stock.

I think it will be worth a decent amount of value (to me say £30 max) since I've browsed through the preview option on Google books and its a highly informative book.

henryk

Post by henryk » 06 Jul 2014, 19:08

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”