New Book on the Second Battle of Kharkov

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
William Russ

New Book on the Second Battle of Kharkov

Post by William Russ » 14 Aug 2014, 23:30

Hello Everyone,
I want to take this opportunity to announce that my new book "Operation Fridericus" is available for sale on Amazon and at The Nafziger Collection website (see links below). Told mostly from the German perspective, it covers the Soviet offensive to retake the city of Kharkov in May of 1942 and the German counteroffensive. The book not only has a full description of the battle, it has numerous order of battle charts, tables of organization charts and maps. Most of the material is taken from the National Archives holdings of captured German documents and is supplemented by additional material from German source books. This book should certainly be of great interest to those who study the battles fought on the Eastern Front during World War Two.
I want to take this opportunity to thank the following Axis History members who contributed material to help make this a better book. They are, in no particular order: Leo Niehorster, Richard Hargreaves, Jan Endzeit, Jan-Hendrik Wendler, Tom Peters and Tom Houlihan. Thanks guys :D .

Website links: (just hope these work)
http://www.amazon.com/OPERATION-FRIDERI ... fridericus
http://www.nafzigercollection.com/produ ... -may-1942/

krichter33

Re: New Book on the Second Battle of Kharkov

Post by krichter33 » 15 Aug 2014, 02:20

I love Case White, so I'll definitely buy this one!!! I was just wondering how tactical it is, how far down the chain of command does it go?

William Russ

Post by William Russ » 15 Aug 2014, 02:36

Hi Krichter33,
Glad to hear you liked the first book :D . I'm sorry it took me 8 years to complete this. Hopefully the next one won't take as long! The new book goes down to regimental (sometimes battalion) level. There was a lot of detail I could not pass up.

best regards, Bill

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 15 Aug 2014, 06:49

That's great!!! I love books that encompass the tactical as well as the operational.

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 15 Aug 2014, 20:03

Great news. Have just ordered a copy via the Nafziger link (the Amazon link doesn't allow shipment to the UK).

William Russ

Post by William Russ » 15 Aug 2014, 20:25

Thanks Hucks 216 :-).
I noticed an error on the Amazon website. It says the book went on sale as of January 1 2014. This is obviously wrong as George just posted the info Wednesday :?

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 16 Aug 2014, 15:58

Best of luck with the book Bill - glad the odd snippet I found proved useful in some small way.

William Russ

Post by William Russ » 16 Aug 2014, 19:50

Thanks Richard :-).
I just hope it does not take another 8 years to get the current book project out ;-).

William Russ

Post by William Russ » 18 Aug 2014, 21:32

Hello Everyone,
I received my copy of the book today and see that there are some graphics errors in the book. They are:
On pages 183 and 184 the word 'Feet' was left out of the measurement bars.
On pages 208 and 210 there are two unit symbols that should not be there. They are on the right side of the page just outside the map box with an infantry division and tank brigade image. Ignore those.
On pages 225 and 226 then 231 and 232, the 1st Panzer Army west and east side maps should have been displayed on opposite pages from each other, not on different pages.
I apologize for these errors. I should have caught them before they were printed.

best regards, Bill

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”