Volume 7 of German Cross in Gold Holders released

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Volume 7 of German Cross in Gold Holders released

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 15 Aug 2014, 01:13

My newest book released a couple weeks ago, busy with various summer things and forgot to post.

German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police

volume 7

Is the first of two volumes covering "Wiking."

432 pages, 242 photos.

krichter33

Re: Volume 7 of German Cross in Gold Holders released

Post by krichter33 » 15 Aug 2014, 02:22

I already received it and have to say it is excellent like all the others in the series!!!

pim

Post by pim » 15 Aug 2014, 23:09

Just got mine too. Have only had time to flick through it but I am already amazed about the amount of information contained within. It's not just a complete collection of bios on the Wiking German Cross Holders (nb: this is only part 1) but also detailed info on all the divisional commanders (all very interesting men and legends of the W-SS themselves), combat elements of the division, etc. The book also contains an addendum addressing additions/updates/corrections on the previous volumes. The photographic material is also outstanding and so many have, in my opinion, never been made public before. However I have noticed their is no picture of Fritz Hahl (I know quite a few exist) within his bio. Any reason why Mark?

This series is amongst my most prized book possessions, and I have literally hundreds of books on the Waffen-SS / WWII. And have spent a fortune on them !! This book (volume 7) is, I think, the best yet. However I'll reserve my final judgement once I've fully read each page.

It has been a very long time between drinks for this highly anticipated volume to finally come out but I believe the wait has been worth it. Although I sure hope the next volume won't take as long.

Congratulations Mark Yerger. Your hard work and your publishers (Roger Bender) is very much appreciated.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 16 Aug 2014, 01:39

I must elaborate, was literally at the computer with my last reply while waiting for my sister to take me for some stitches obtained when a large piece of glass fell on me.

An image of Fritz Hahl is with the addendum of volume 8.

Research of units has been continuous since the series was initiated as evidenced by a significant addendum of new material in each volume for units previously covered. And so research obviously continued on Wiking after volume 7 was completed. In the course of the actual design of volume 7, Boss (R. James Bender) re-designed two major areas of the book twice and a third three times to incorporate 9 more unpublished photos and text data obtained by me since the manuscript was originally handed in.

This involved 4 postal mailings by me and 2 by e-mail, literally to the last minute (the day before sent to printer) to incorporate as much material as possible. All this being a practice no other publisher would undertake as it is obviously un-required extra cost. Evidence of this input being as much as possible, was the necessity of deleting the rank chart and the published books part bibliography being in volume 8 to add as much to the heart of the book as physically possible. With all the changes, juggling, etc it was an honest mistake of omission with a design complicated book.

I hope the previously unpublished images, the higher clarity of others previously seen obtained by tracking and original print or negative, in combination with a significant amount of new documented text data adequately compensates for the omission. As stated a Hahl image will be in the addendum of volume 8, in superior clarity from a source close to him. Please accept my apology, as a research-historian my mind tends to focus more on new factual information and adequately documenting it (to the end) though realize the significance of images. I feel the former is the most important (and most time and material consuming), complemented by the latter.

It is my fault; I approved design verbally after having signed off on 3 design copies rather than the normal 1 most publishers allow. It was a very complicated design, with the volume 8 addendum having to absorb a further half dozen images that could not be made to fit in volume 7 no matter what we did. Books are printed in 18 and 32 page signatures, no one wishes to pay for 6 or 8 blank pages and if printed on or not are charged for by a printer.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 17 Aug 2014, 04:26

I have been reading my copy all day and I am impressed by the attention to detail that Mark has shown in this book. Mark has brought together a great deal of interesting information and new photos from a myriad of sources, some of which are not available to other researchers. It is noteworthy that Mark personally knew over 100 Knights Cross holders and division commanders over many years, thus giving him a special insight and access to critical information. This is apparent in this work. I suspect that it was Fritz Darges himself who told Mark that he took over the II./Pz.Rgt. 5 on July 28th after Alois Reicher was wounded. Several pages from the KTB of the II.Abt. are missing for that week in July, but Mark must have derived that fact from the commander himself when Darges was younger and had a sharp mind. This is typical of Mark's approach. I also find that Mark has an ever-increasing circle of contributors which add to the value of his works. I felt that his remarks about General Gille could have been more balanced had he included the feeling of some vets that Gille was a "murderer with glasses" such as the October 1943 debacle at the Fuchsschwanzinsel where most of Rgt. "Westland" was lost. I highly recommend this book.

My only criticism has to do with writing style. I believe that readability could be improved by using fewer German spellings . For example, instead of saying two Battalione or Kompanien, why not simply write two battalions or companies?

pim

Post by pim » 17 Aug 2014, 06:26

Good points John. I must admit I too felt reminded about Gille when I viewed the excellent photos Mark has in the book on August Diekmann's funeral in 1943, having read years ago what some veterans wrote about the debacle at the Fuchsschwanzinsel. Although I never heard/read the comment "murderer with glasses" !
BTW: I have no problem with the German spelling = it gives it all the right feel (if that makes sense). It really is a GREAT book.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 17 Aug 2014, 07:54

Regards John’s post on terms. In reverse of priority:

1) I see collectors and history readers complain they want books but can’t read German. The average adult has an 800 word vocabulary. You know what Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, and Stuka is. Learn more and more books can be bought with the ability to absorb a worthwhile percentage of content. There will be minimal translations to English at $30,000+ for a small press count. Being more literate also allows collectors to see most dealers can’t read inscriptions, documents or other items they claim to be experts about to include career descriptions of named items using units and positions that never existed.

2) Many terms there is no direct equivalent. Then will be a comment to much or too little. I can’t think 10th Armored Infantry Regiment “West Land.” As with SS-Engineer School “Hradischko,” the mixing of languages in term or titles is prose ignorant and improper.

3) While the publisher specifically requested just awards in English when I outlined the series, I will continue to implement author prerogative to use correct terminology in writing about a German unit and all subjects related to it as it has been over 9 volumes and 12 years. An officer will remain a Hauptsturmführer, not a Captain. And his command will be the III.Bataillon, not the 3rd battalion. And the plural of his command will be Bataillone, not battalions or Battalione per John’s post, the later from the original inquiry actually being incorrectly spelled in both languages.

Best wishes,
Mark

histan

Post by histan » 18 Aug 2014, 00:05

Mark

I have to very strongly agree with you about using the original German terms. I find that attempts to translate these into English language equivalents are generally inaccurate or misleading. When I read these misleading translations I am never sure if it is the translator or the author who does not understand the subject!

If you are interested in the German Army or Waffen SS, your understanding will be enhanced by learning the correct terminology.

Finally, as a Brit, I don't transform US Army terminology into British Army terminology. Referring to Eisenhower as "Field Marshall Eisenhower", 1 Armored Division as "1 Armoured Division", and Chief of Staff V Corps as "Brigadier General Staff V Corps" would seem very strange. I just learn US Army terminology!

Please keep up the good work

Regards

John

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 18 Aug 2014, 00:18

Just to clarify, my suggestion related to the use of plural forms of German terms such as Battailone, Batterien and Kompanien in favor of the English equivalents in the interest of readability. The use of those terms in Mark's books appears strange to me when inserted in English text. Consider that other authors such as Stephen Rusiecki's "In Final Defense of the Reich", Doug Nash in "Victory was Beyond their Grasp" and "Hells Gate" and Scott Revell, Niall Cherry and Bob Gerritsen's in "Arnhem a Few Vital Hours" don't and that should tell people something. I was NOT suggesting that the singular forms of German units or SS ranks be changed.

Furthermore, just because someone follows a certain style for 10+ years does not mean that it can't be changed as we should all be striving for continuous improvement.

histan

Post by histan » 18 Aug 2014, 00:40

Sorry John

It's 11 pm in the UK and a quick read of the posts hit a particular bugbear of mine - as you can gather!

I do agree that it is probably impossible to maintain a particular fixed set of rules while achieving both accuracy of meaning and readability. Compromises have to be found, as in Hell's Gate which I think probably struck a good balance.

Regards

John

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 18 Aug 2014, 05:58

To each their own as they wish in the books they write. And again from my initial reply:

[quote]While the publisher specifically requested just awards in English when I outlined the series, I will continue to implement author prerogative to use correct terminology in writing about a German unit and all subjects related to it as it has been over 9 volumes and 12 years. An officer will remain a Hauptsturmführer, not a Captain. And his command will be the III.Bataillon, not the 3rd battalion. And the plural of his command will be Bataillone, not battalions or Battalione per John’s post, the later from the original inquiry actually being incorrectly spelled in both languages.]

I feel John's complaint and personal opinion have been sufficiently noted and replied to twice. I am sorry and apologize that you dislike the book for the correct terms being used, not sure what else to say because how I write is my decision, not yours. Likewise I cannot offer you a refund as the copy you received was sent to you free of cost. Regards this or that photo or number of photos pertaining to a particular individual not included, etc, am posting my reply to your privately sent mail:

There is a limit on how much fits on how many pages, I have X amount of text and for a given number of signatures/pages have that much room for photos, the text having priority. Were it my choice I would have a cover photo and nothing else. I could not care less but the "I just look at pictures" percentage of buyers requires them. Yes, I have a Bundesarchiv account and have used them often as seen in the Polizei Division volumes. If worth obtaining, needed, a determined priority, space available, and if I decide wanted, I get them direct from Bundesarchiv as 3MB or more scans from the original. But at $25 each + 2 copies of the book they are used in (another $100+) is what further determines if used. As already posted I did not use 8 other photos as they only took 11 pages of a printer-smallest 16 pages signature, they do not print 8s or 4s. That would result in complaints of blank pages.

From 2001 when the Silver book printed to volume 8 printer costs went up over 35% with no price increase. Roger made 1 minimal reduction in paper poundage to save costs. I had an imposed limit on volumes 5 and 6 combined of 640 pages, and have a balanced photo count between the two. By alphabet or how many or of what is not how photos and documents are obtained, they are just obtained. Volumes 5 and 6 are of near equal size, 5 has exactly 320 sheets of printable paper. 6 has 314: a difference between the of 6 pages total and within limits. Written and designed as I wrote to fit. And not all photos I had were used, again parameters and fit. There is significantly more involved in doing what I do than printing whatever number of pages on a desktop printer.

Also not included, unless cramming allowed, are those obtained after 2-3 years of images needed postings and ads that are sent long after deadline. They go to an addendum. Books are written and pages calculated while being written. What is used involves more factors than simply should or want. And proper military terminology for a book on a German military unit being used, rather than mixing off/on at some interval or level, is how it should and will be. No offense, but was equally surprised at the complaint but to each their own as to how they write their books or series. As to lack of more or different images for whatever man, it is obvious no room was wasted. Rank list and books area bibliography deleted to fit all possible, you can only put a gallon in a gallon container, so complaints in that regards are unjustified aside from rather irritating. Like people who watch sports on TV and think they know more than the coach or players, they are not the ones actually doing it with all the inherent factors, parameters, and limits.

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 19 Aug 2014, 01:46

I don't really understand the complaint either. I think the more German military terminology the better! They are books about the German military, aren't they? And I think most people on this board, fluent in German or not, are at least proficient enough in "military German," to be able to easily read any of these books...

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 14 Jan 2017, 17:18

krichter33 wrote:I don't really understand the complaint either. I think the more German military terminology the better! They are books about the German military, aren't they? And I think most people on this board, fluent in German or not, are at least proficient enough in "military German," to be able to easily read any of these books...
Dito! :thumbsup:

Got Vol. 7 this week...and I am happy to have bought it. Oustanding material, as usually. The amount of info is worth every Euro!

Can recommend the whole series, myself lacks only Vol.2 and Vol.8...

Jan-Hendrik

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”