Anyone used Ancestry.com or other to trace living relatives?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Felix C

Anyone used Ancestry.com or other to trace living relatives?

Post by Felix C » 18 Sep 2014, 15:30

Thought to ask before doing a the week long trial. Is it worth it?

Andy H
Forum Staff

Re: Anyone used Ancestry.com or other to trace living relati

Post by Andy H » 18 Sep 2014, 15:39

Hi Felix

I used Ancestry.com some years ago but to trace long dead relatives through the various censuses etc it holds.
I did find that useful, but like all such tools, it has limits which can only be breached through leg work and actual travel. Thus I no longer subscribe to it as such.

If its a free weeks trial or a reduced rate, then I would give it a whirl. You may well not get much in the way of living relatives, but you'll definitely find some info on those no longer with us.

Regards

Andy H

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 18 Sep 2014, 15:42

Thanks

I am researching a few German Imperial Navy officers who lived into the 1970s and note they, Ancestry, use the Navy Crew Book of Year 19xx and so that it may be useful. But am leery of providing CC information which auto-charges at the end of a trial period as sometimes it is difficult to contact the firm and cancel the account.

Wish to see if living relatives exist to contact for availability of personal papers.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 18 Sep 2014, 16:06

Hi Felix

Just for future information, I use a CC with a very small limit (much less than a thousand $'s) for any online purchase, outside of holidays, cars and major appliances. Touching wood that policy has served me well. Ancestry from my dealings were prompt in cancelling and above board in their dealings with me. You could always email them with your concerns and see what they have to say?

Regards

Andy H

Felix C

Post by Felix C » 18 Sep 2014, 16:17

Thanks.

I will give it a try and report back what results were to see if the Navy Crew book data is detailed or not. Might be useful for others.

wenty

Post by wenty » 21 Sep 2014, 07:18

Hi Felix,

The state library down here has a membership so i've used it on their account several times. No doubt it's interesting but yes, it is limited as to the information it can provide and I found that as far as family trees go, it likes to block out the generations of a certain family who may still be living. I don't know if that's the case for all family trees but based on my personal experience, it's probably not the place to go to make contact with long lost relatives or descendants. Other sites like Rootsweb might be better for that.

In any case, good luck - hopefully you find some worthwhile info!

Cheers,
Adam.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”