Mark Yergers Totenkopf research

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
pim

Mark Yergers Totenkopf research

Post by pim » 21 Sep 2014, 09:35

Mark Yerger has proven himself to be probably the most prolific and most importantly the best published researcher/historian on personalities and units of the SS. This is exemplified by his bios on Weidinger, Kumm, Krag; unit & commander histories such as "Knights of Steel", "Riding East", "Allgemeine SS" and most recently his outstanding series on the German Cross in Gold holders of the SS. All are excellent and if I had to name favourites it would be "Knights of Steel" and his very most recent published volume on the Wiking German Cross holders.

I have never met Mark nor have I ever been able to provide good primary information for his ongoing research. However I enjoy being able to provide him subjective reader feedback once I purchase his book(s). This has been going on for years now and Mark very generously provides me drafts of his research before it has been published. A few weeks ago I received a draft of his latest work. This research is based on the SS-Totenkopf division and is based on the format of his SS German Cross in Gold series. After reading and re-reading the draft on-line I must admit this is Mark's masterpiece. To title the work something like "German Cross in Gold Holders of the Totenkopf Division" would not do it justice because it is so much more than that. Mark covers the structure and development of the Totenkopfverbände and Totenkopfstandarten, Then provides a combat history and details of the combat elements, the divisional commanders, the staff officers and a very detailed history of the German Cross in Gold awardees. In addition there is a list of those who were awarded the Single-Handed Tank Destruction badge and there is also an excellent glossary.

The Totenkopf Division is a controversial division for obvious reasons. Titles such as "Soldiers of Destruction", "Curse of the Deaths Head", "Soldaten, Kämpfer, Kameraden", "Like a Cliff in the Ocean"; mentioned in the memoirs of Khrushchev, mentioned in Mansteins memoirs as the best SS division, rightly or wrongly mentioned in the murky world of the KL system speaks for itself. However Mark's research lets the facts speak for themselves and the facts/ primary information he has collated, researched and now prepared to share once hopefully soon published is second to none. It should find a large audience of readers. It will be a very most important addition to the history of the SS and should generate further detailed research on the Totenkopf units from the very beginning of the Third Reich to it's final end. This is currently still sadly lacking and Mark is filling a very large gap.

To conclude, although I consider this to be Mark's masterpiece (for want of a better word) it is important to note that the draft I read does not contain many unpublished good quality pictures Mark has obtained. I know that Mark personally does not consider photos all that important but he does understand that people like me love good quality pictures in his books. And I know he won't let us down in this regard.

Mark, if you happen to read this post are you able to provide any further update on your draft research on the Totenkopf?

Regards,
Peter.

krichter33

Re: Mark Yergers Totenkopf research

Post by krichter33 » 22 Sep 2014, 02:15

...can't wait! I love all his books!

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 18 Oct 2014, 11:18

Having a bit of a "Murphy's Law" span. I moved late September, a royal pain as I basically do not trust movers with the archive. I'm not a kid and 88 boxes of files and books to SUV then 4 stairs to new home wasted me. And Oct got a virus in PC from a mail, had to wipe out the computer, rebuild all (I have 4 external back-up drives due to paranoia).

Hugh Page Taylor visiting me again this coming week to discuss design of "Totenkopf." Having added biographies for the division's 55 KC holders, their award proposals, biographies for all commanders of all units who did NOT get the GC or KC, plus extra chapters for the Totenkopfstandarten and other topics, it got a bit out of control.

When done was unable, in any format, to design it no matter what size (up to US 9 x 12 inches). So am forced for the first time to change to end notes rather than footnotes. And as even I had trouble where anyone is, there is an index for the 500+ people covered with a similar being in volume 2.

Because of high quality of photos they should be significantly large, see no other way than to resort to end notes. Most of the German Cross series footnotes were some 20% of the total text word count and the photo captions (size) not significant an impact to design. Volume 7 captions word count was the most of any of the German Cross volumes thus far, though at 8,000 words was not a design problem.

But aside from being the largest text I have done overall, part I of "Totenkopf" the footnote data (facts rather then references) is 30% (thus making 1 room issue) and there are nearly 30,000 words of captions. With photo count over 300 it is rather a nightmare to be made as it should be. Had I known, should probably have thought 3 volumes. But shifting or changing after making 2 balanced volumes a time waste and to much re-write. As 2 volumes they end up with 300+ photos each and turned out to be best balance, though sequence is different than my last 8 books.

I was rather surprised, with "Das Reich" being my own favorite unit, that "Totenkopf" ended up being the largest. But as with any book it is what one finds or has. Throughout the work found a lot not known (text being my interest) as well as a lot of correcting older books with documentation including Vopersal's. His books essential of course, but he lacked some primary sources when they were done with a lot missing from the aspect of personnel as his was on the unit as an entity for the most part. And my photo interest is individuals and sought that, while most of his were the unit as a whole or aspects recognized by the veterans he wrote to or at. I have full page biographies for people he never mentioned at all with numerous others being only mentioned once by last name. He overlooked a number of important (my opinion) commanders.

Bender called last night to tell me he just mailed me the re-designed volume 8 pages to check (I added a dozen photos, corrections, etc to first design) so must stop and do that. And doing a lot for 4 other people's books, so am dancing as fast as two hands can.

Really wish I had a volunteer assistant for a few weeks just to file photos, negatives, files, etc. If anyone visits they have to wait till I move books, folders, photos, etc to give them a place to sit. Three desks and a side table with the computer is insufficient.

With half of "Totenkopf" part II done (just these volumes are written)) I'll be relieved to get to the "Handschar," SS-Panzerbrigade "Gross," and 19th SS Division GC volume.

Thanks for comment and support,
Mark C. Yerger

tippette

Post by tippette » 16 Jun 2015, 21:52

Can somebody help me?
I asked Mr. Yerger where I could find some info about a German Officer called Karl Heinz Cantow. He told me it was in volume 9 (Totenkopf) but i can't find any volume with this number.
Can anybody help?
Grazie

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 17 Jun 2015, 04:35

Totenkopf is a separate 2 volumes per threads up for a considerable time explaining where, why, etc

volume 8 is the most recent German Cross volume released April 2015

Best
Mark

tippette

Post by tippette » 24 Jun 2015, 22:37

Which should I buy to have some information about Cantow?
Grazie

tippette

Post by tippette » 02 Jul 2015, 21:31

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 09 Jul 2015, 21:58

3SSGC-Pittschellis-17-edited- to post.jpg
Attached is "Totenkopf" volume II cover image and content, shipping it to publisher end of month. Just reading it another dozen times for the inevitable typo while awaiting last 4 images purchased from an archive with placement already allocated. With so much of the actual text data or information as extended end notes (fully a third of the actual information provided in the manuscript) I added some general content for 5 of the individual chapters in blue to the Table of Contents followed by the book description for other specifics. Large format, HB, 340 pages with 200 illustrations.

After the volume II text description is a paragraph overview of my colleague and best friend's research that will constitute the majority of volume III.

"Totenkopf" volume II:

Foreword
Acknowledgements
Preface
(How I started, what I researched, wrote, and why)
Introduction
"Totenkopf" Officer and Arms School Training
(28 pages, 34 illustrations)
German Cross in Gold Holders (175 pages, 130+ illustrations)
Masarié, Arzelino ("Lino")
Meyer, Hans-Adolf
Müller, Gerhard
Müller, Heinz
Müller, Siegfried
Neuhaus, Heinz
Neumann, Günter
Obermeier Josef
Ostermayer Ludwig
Palm, Günther
Pellin, Gerhard
Pittschellis, Adolf
Plonski, Wilhelm
Rabitsch, Markus
Reder, Walter
Reim, Ferdinand
Reiter, Hans
Restorff, Walter
Rohloff, Richard
Sander, Hans
Säumenicht, Rudolf
Schade, Engelbert
Schasche, Wilhelm
Schiedl, Walter
Schindler, Rudolf
Schiweck, Helmut
Schmidbauer, Lorenz
Schmidinger, Karl
Schneider, Walter
Schubach, Joachim
Schubert, Otto
Schulze, Wilhelm
Schwermann, Ludwig
Seela, Max
Specht, Engelbrecht
Speck, Heini
Sprank, Heinz
Stadelmann, Fritz
Stange, Martin
Stark, Walter
Stienen, Peter
Sturm, Dr. Rudolf
Swientek, Josef
Weidlich, Dr. Martin
Weidmann, Paul
Weiser, Hans
Winters, Karl
Wittkopp, Otto
Wohlrab, Rudolf
Zech, Eberhard
Zielke, Heinrich
Zipp, Friedrich
Zollhöfer, Emil

Honor Clasp Holders (17 pages, 12 illustrations)
Bachtler, Josef
Ditzenbach, Rudolf
Dost, Herbert
Eckert, Fritz
Flohr, Wilhelm
Glimm, Ottomar
Heinzmann, Leonhard
Hoffmann, Bernhard
Hundrieser, Werner
Marx, Horst
Obermeier, Josef
Petersen, Boy-Friedrich
Schmidt, Franz
Schneider, Bruno
Schramm, Erich
Silberleitner, Karl
Synachowitz, Franz
Timmer, Theodor
Wagner, Karl
Winter, Rudolf
Wissebach, Hans
Zährl, Hugo

Close Combat Clasp in Gold Holders (13 pages, 14 illustrations)
Beier, Hans
Boscheinen, Horst
Büch, Helmut
Buchner, Hermann
Düsel, Fritz
Eckert, Fritz
Fehlhaber, Erwin
Franke, Kurt
Herberth, Willi
Herrmann, Kurt
Hille, Alfred
Huber, Johann
Joachim, Georg
Karowski, Hans
König, Lambert
König, Ludwig
Lauchstädt, Edmund
Lith, Willi
Lohrum, Ludwig
Michele, Rudolf
Müller, Heinz
Obermeier, Josef
Röll, Wilhelm
Schade, Engelbert
Schasche, Wilhelm
Schiedl, Walter
Schmidinger, Karl
Schmidt, Walter
Stanek, Horst
Stienen, Peter
Weiser, Hans
Winters, Karl
Zielke, Heinrich

Preparing for Russia (34 text pages)
Order of Battle Charts and Tactical Symbols (15 pages: text correction of charts illustrated, 6 examples, and key)
Addendum
Glossary
Bibliography
End Notes
Index

In "Totenkopf" volume II Mark C. Yerger begins with a detailed overview of the officer and combat arms schools related to the Waffen-SS. The topic is especially relevant to the earliest Waffen-SS divisions with numerous "Totenkopf" personnel being trained by this system while many school instructors also served with the division. Starting with the prewar Junkerschulen and their expansion, the extensive primary arms schools that produced SS officers are detailed that also held a diversity of other training courses from mid-1942 to nearly the end of hostilities, replacing the temporary training units created by the formation for its 1942 divisional rebuild. The connection of specific of specific "Totenkopf" personnel to the system and the formation is noted throughout the chapter, Paul Hausser's Waffen-SS created a training and replacement system connecting all formations with instruction given to individuals being passed on to those they commanded. The main arms schools at SS-Truppenübungsplatz "Beneschau" that held complete officer candidate classes are covered including the SS-Pionierschule "Hradsichko," the SS-Panzergrenadierschule "Kienschlag," and the SS-Artillerieschule II. Along with the final two SS officer academies created, other schools are covered including the SS-Nachrichtenschule and the assault gun school in Bukowan that became the SS-Panzerjäger(Sturmgeschütz)Schule "Janowitz." Details are provided for courses and commandants along with further examples of "Totenkopf" personnel specifically involved in both SS officer and NCO schools. The final 53 German Cross in Gold recipients are then examined, their military service being related in previously unpublished detail for all ranks. Among the German Cross in Gold holders are men also awarded the Knight's Cross, previously unpublished images and award documents being included from the personal photo albums of two such officer recipients along with dozens of other new images in large size as well as over 30 proposal texts relating the combats that resulted in the granting of these decorations. Chapters on the Roll of Honor Clasp and 33 Close Combat Clasp in Gold holders follow with new images and unpublished service details, including the engagement narrative for four Honor Clasp awards. Text on the development of the divisional medical and other support units opens a chapter providing an elaborate divisional roster at the start of 1941. With the final March-April 1941 divisional transfers added and the last "Totenkopf" component created in April 1941 also included, the full command personnel and staff of "Totenkopf" when the division invaded Russia is detailed. Individuals found elsewhere in this study are noted, with priority service specifics given for nearly 250 more officers of the formation. Reflecting on the opening chapter, officer school graduates are noted and with other career information that allows better reader insight on the massive losses taken by "Totenkopf" during the first Russian campaign. Order of Battle charts are explained and compared to actual composition of the division during different periods. A key labels the symbols used in these documents that were also painted on divisional vehicles and weapons to identify units. An addendum adds to volume I along with an index for the nearly 650 personnel in this volume. Lavishly illustrated with primarily unpublished images in larger size, other photographic materials that have been seen were traced to original prints or negatives for previously unseen reproductive clarity. Glossary and bibliography. 340 pages, 200 illustrations.

Volume III will focus on the Totenkopfstandarten and Totenkopfreiterstandarten. The final volume of the trilogy includes their superior command authorities, creation, development, commanders of each unit and their subordinate Sturmbann commanders, and rosters of these formations. A chapter is devoted to those who served in these formations before being decorated at later commands along with rare period images of insignia included throughout the volume. An addendum is included for images that could not be incorporated with the design of the first two volumes and any anecdotal text information uncovered. Volume III concludes with lengthy and significant appendix data.

pim

Post by pim » 12 Jul 2015, 05:46

In the last few recent months I have been privy to read and view much of Mark Yerger’s research on Totenkopf. I have all of Mark’s published works, from his small Paul Hausser bio to the latest volume in his German Cross in Gold series. Anyone with a remotely serious interest in the SS would have these books and would agree on the excellence of the amount and value of the research. However be prepared to have your expectations exceeded once Yerger’s Totenkopf research is published (as Mark has stated it will now be 3 volumes!). Titled “TOTENKOPF The Structure, Development and Personalities of the 3.SS-Panzer-Division”, this series will prove to be Yerger’s absolute best to date. The quality of primary sourced information pertaining to the elements (ie: structure & development) of the division cannot be faulted. For some people it may be at times fairly dry reading, but it has to be because Mark deals in facts not emotive unnecessary wording. Although Mark, rightly does not hold back in his description of the brutal personality traits of the likes of the first divisional commander “Papa” Eicke and the controversial behaviour of the last divisional commander Becker.

One won’t find any details on the weapons utilised by the division (eg: Tiger, Panther tanks, SPW, MG42, etc. etc.) there are 100s of books already covering this. But the uniform and award certificate buffs will be rewarded with many top quality photos and to-the-point descriptions on those subjects. For myself it is the personalities of the division that I find immensely interesting and with what Mark has allowed me to view is absolutely outstanding and very rewarding and interesting to read. Mark and his research partner/author (Ignacio Arrondo) have it all covered from the ordinary enlisted man to the divisional commanders. The research is based on official archives, primary and well known secondary sources. The secondary sources are in fact little used because Mark and Ignacio deal in facts not a rehash of a rehash of someone else’s uncited or unverified work. The icing on the cake for me was the ability of Mark to contact families of many of the personalities and gleam more pertinent information and pictures. Without naming names there were at least a couple officers of the division whereby I thought Mark would have no way in gaining the confidence of the surviving families and them sharing information and pictures with Mark. But he succeeded. In a way, the latter (family connections) is a primary source of a very special kind.

As stated in a blurb on the AMAZON on-line shopping site regarding the upcoming volume 1: “...A chapter on the early Totenkopfverbände follows, detailing these numerous prewar units from their creation in 1933 through frequent title changes and their physical development until "Totenkopf" assimilated parts of the first four as half its initial cadre” . Mark delves into an area that after 70 years since the end of the Third Reich still has very little objectively written and published about it. There was a period in the late 60s to the early 80s whereby important information was being published (eg: “Anatomy of the SS State” by Krausnick, Buchheim, et al and “The Black Corps” by Robert Lewis Koehl) but then things went all quiet again. The subject was more than likely put in the too-hard-basket and probably indicates how few really serious SS researchers there are out there. It is a bit easier to write about SS panzer commanders, SS knights cross holders***, Jochen Peiper, etc. Hopefully Mark’s to be published work on the Totenkopf will change that. In fact for those who are interested a small book has recently been published titled “Dachau & the SS” by Christopher Dillon – it isn’t too bad and provides interesting insights albeit within a slightly narrow minded frame of research and source material.

Anyway back to Mark and Ignacio’s upcoming volumes on the Totenkopf Division; as stated I very much believe this will prove to be their masterpiece. What they have and are sacrificing to achieve this I dare not ask – I will just end on a selfish note and state that I cannot wait to have a published copy of volume 1 in my hands as soon as possible. Hopefully someone from Helion Publishing is reading my post !!

***In regard to SS knights cross holders there is one massive piece of research I hope will be published soon and that is on Gustav Knittel by Timo. I know this will prove to be one of the best biographies one should read, again based on primary sources and important personal connections that cannot be underestimated. And I cannot wait for this work to be published either !

Regards,
Peter

xavinwonderland

Post by xavinwonderland » 15 Aug 2015, 23:41

Hi Mark,

Are you covering the division war crimes during the France campaign in one of your volumes?
Many thanks
Xavinwonderland

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 16 Aug 2015, 02:25

Incidents stated within the parameters of the volumes. Hundreds of men covered, is not a war crimes book and is not 50 pages devoted to one incident. Those involved covered and their fate. Parameters obvious by Table of Contents of volumes I and II. Likewise not a book about concentration camps.

There are specific books on war crimes if what you seek as with the camp system.

Spoke to Helion to get permission to expand and though still on time to hand in volume II have added some recently donated material so will be about 350 pages with 225 photos.

Best,
Mark

xavinwonderland

Post by xavinwonderland » 20 Aug 2015, 07:54

Thanks for the reply. I am not looking at a book on war crimes specifically but rather on a balanced history of the unit. So I am interested just as much by the fightings in the demyansk pocket than the fighting (and war crimes in France).

So when you say mentionned in the book is it simply IR2 committed that and that crimes resulting in the losses of X soldiers / civilians. Or do you give some details as to how and why it happened?

Did you manage to find color about what the division did after Demyansk (it was retired from the front to be reformed in France I believe for almost a year). Do you have insight on what kind of training it when through and what was the fighting condition of the division after?

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 29 Sep 2015, 23:02

Volume I at the printer and on schedule for October release. There is a lengthy description of the book on Helion's website for the post asking content. Mailing volume II to publisher this coming week. All is well, am happy with both, and now back to work. :thumbsup:
Attachments
totenkopf-posted.jpg
totenkopf-posted.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 4369 times

pim

Post by pim » 20 Dec 2015, 05:37

I received Mark Yerger's and Ignacio Arrondo's Totenkopf book a few weeks ago. In my obviously biased opinion it is THE book of 2016. These two guys and their publisher (Helion) have exceeded my high expectations in the research and overall quality of the book. Every year I buy many books on the Third Reich / World War II. Too many times I regret having bought some of these books (eg: the latest Kursk book by Lawrence - albeit massive is just not worth it. Lists Fritz Witt as a regimental co of LAH, includes information on Peiper based on outdated secondary sources, has a picture of Hitler in lederhosen, etc). The Totenkopf book is an example of what a book should be - that is: to the point research based on primary sources, totally covers the subject matter, good photographic material that is well captioned and delivers more than expected. (eg: good coverage of high ranking Wehrmacht generals who had the division under their command, along side with important unit commanders fighting along side the division).

Documenting the history of this particular division is not an easy task for many reasons, and many of these reasons are documented at the start of the book. This first volume of three will fill an important void in the history of the Waffen-SS and the SS as a whole. This volume provides a very good overview of the pre-war Totenkopfverbände and an excellent coverage of the combat units of the war-time division, the section on the divisional commanders is first rate, first staff officers are very well covered, documenting of German-Cross-in-Gold awardees is outstanding, and even a detailed list of those members of the division that were awarded the Single-Handed-Tank-Destruction Badge. The Knights Cross Holders are well covered. The End Notes can in themselves be a separate volume due to the interesting primary information contained.

If one is interested in the SS, a good German divisional history, and bios on combat commanders and high combat award winners within the WWII German armed forces you really must obtain this book. You will NOT be disappointed.

Congratulations and thanks to Mark Yerger and Ignacio Arrondo and the publisher (Helion) in making this book available to the masses.

Whilst on the subject of the SS-Totenkopf, for those who read German it is very worthwhile obtaining a recently published book by Marten van Dijken titled "Die SS-Totenkopfverbände Eine Dokementation Band I 1933-1937.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 23 Dec 2015, 03:55

I'm happy with all aspects of volume I, Kim did a marvelous job of recreating my design and other aspects.

Not being a "quick read" it takes awhile for those who received it to actually absorb it all.

She also did the design work for volume II.

Currently have more than 150 pages done for volume III.

Best,
Mark

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”