SS German Cross in Gold Holders volume 8- cover & date

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

SS German Cross in Gold Holders volume 8- cover & date

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 27 Nov 2014, 14:22

"German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police," volume 8 ("Wiking" part II) design now done, due from the printer February 2015.

378 pages
191 illustrations

see attached cover

That's all for now, back to work.

Best wishes,
Mark C. Yerger
Attachments
vol 8 cover final.jpg

Marcus

Re: SS German Cross in Gold Holders volume 8- cover & date

Post by Marcus » 01 Dec 2014, 20:01

I look forward to another book in the series. :-)

/Marcus

krichter33

Post by krichter33 » 04 Dec 2014, 04:41

wonderful!!!

Pena V

Post by Pena V » 08 Dec 2014, 11:03

Why cann't you publish it today - or better still yesterday. I can hardly eat while waiting for it :D

Pena V

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 14 Dec 2014, 06:26

I am deeply moved, sincerely, by comments from such well-read readers as yourselves. Now at the point of having units with not enough images, or the reverse. After I finish the separate Totenkopf study that expanded to far for inclusion in the GC series, I would like to finish "Handschar," Brigade "Gross", and the 19th Latvian division. Need serious help with the latter for images as I have practically none though groundwork, proposals, etc are done. From that volume on will also be adding an areas from the miscellaneous holders rather than have them be separate volume(s).

Best,
Mark

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 16 Dec 2014, 05:24

Excellent choice for a cover! I look forward to reading about some old friends.

john

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 07 Feb 2015, 04:52

Book printed and left the Far East for California per phone call with the publisher today.

Happily, ship departed before their several-weeks-long New Year holiday.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 07 Feb 2015, 04:56

Good luck Mark! Have you heard about the longshoreman issues in CA that have delayed the unloading of incoming ships for weeks?

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 28 Mar 2015, 08:54

Should be available in a week or two per publisher notifying me, looks like I'll have 2 release this year. "Totenkopf" will complete next year, per my normal time span, it won't just be another incomplete topic volume I. Attached some images of Wagner's KC ceremony and celebration when Gille removed his own award and presented it to the "Germania" commander and no example was available in the field along with a portrait. Seems program site determined reverse sequence of what I uploaded.
Attachments
Wagner- 1b.jpg
Wagner-Gille122.jpg
Wagner-Gille122b.jpg
Wagner-Gille.jpg
Wagner-Gille122c.jpg

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 15 Apr 2015, 21:03

Not sure how people in other countries get copies before my own arrived yesterday, but my first e-mail comment on volume 8 arrived a few minutes ago. From someone in the UK who never wrote me before, it's complete text is:

Dear Mark

When will volume 9 be available.

Sincerely,
Ernst

LMFAO

Mark Costa

Post by Mark Costa » 15 Apr 2015, 22:13

Mark:

received mine this afternoon and browsing through it right now. Another great book for any bookshelf. It was a great day for the mail. Received yours and Mike Millers SS Leaders book in ONE box. Will be a long weekend for reading.

Mark Costa

Pena V

Post by Pena V » 23 Apr 2015, 16:40

Pena V wrote:Why cann't you publish it today - or better still yesterday. I can hardly eat while waiting for it
I can start eating now. Thanks for a great book!

Pena V

pim

Post by pim » 26 Apr 2015, 09:23

This series is outstanding from the first volume and now to this very recently published volume number 8 (number 9 if one includes Mark's book on the German Cross in Silver = all by R James Bender Publishing).

The high standards of scholarship, research from primary sources, presentation and photographic material continues with this volume. The title of this series of volumes understates the actual important contents of the books. First thing I did when I received this book was to go to an end section - that is : the Addendum. I especially love reading the additional information Mark has unearthed which further expands and updates the information of the previous volumes. The 5 SS Panzer Division 'Wiking' is a very interesting division to study. A so-called "classic" division of the Waffen-SS, it fought exclusively on the Eastern Front in some of the most important and difficult battles. Unlike the Leibstandarte and Das Reich and probably Totenkopf, good and thorough published research on Wiking as a division and it's personalities is lacking. Mark's volume 7 and now volume 8 fills an important gap and consequently these books are a must have for anyone with a serious interest, not only on the W-SS, but the Eastern Front = the most important Front of the Second World War. The struggle on the Eastern Front comes more to light when reading the combat exploits of these high award holders. It is not a book about tanks, planes and uniforms – it is about men at war in the purest sense. With that a fact I would love to see a similar series of books on the "classic" divisions of the Red Army and their high-award holders. Does something like that exist in the English language? Unfortunately I'm sure we'll just see more books about Jochen Peiper, Battle-of-the-Bulge and D-Day. Therefore a massive thankyou to Mark Yerger for working so hard on a subject less popular to the masses but so very much more important.

Perfection is an illusion and as with any books it has it's errors:
- Page 171. The photo shows August Dieckmann and not Franz Hack next to Helmut Pförtner.
- Page 309. I am almost positive that the man next to the divisional commander Felix Steiner is Paul Albert Kausch and not Günther Jahnke. Can anyone confirm this?

Overall the book is a must have to anyone’s Second World War or Third Reich or Military library

To conclude, I don’t know if Mark Yerger can further raise the bar in his future works but I believe his next published work (the Totenkopf Division) will prove to be his masterpiece.

Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 29 Apr 2015, 19:51

Page 309 photo came from Jahnke and by his ID and as source trust it is him with Steiner, hopefully others among the illustrations enjoyed.

Thanks for elaborate comment of help to those not yet owning it, while brief accolades of course appreciated as well.

More of subjects mentioned will be done, but I'll pass on being the author of Tiger, incomplete KC volume whatever, Mother's Cross vol. 3, Peiper, repetitive memoir #27, etc.

Doing subjects others have done repeatedly while adding minimally to actual data knowledge would bore me to death. But people have different motivations I suppose. Likewise some readers will buy anything, including what's already been done better elsewhere. I've preferred to do what hasn't been done when projects chosen despite the effort required, including the design and data presentation style.

Best,
Mark

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”