New Danish Waffen-SS officer biography and history

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Mark C. Yerger
In memoriam

New Danish Waffen-SS officer biography and history

Post by Mark C. Yerger » 15 Mar 2015, 20:13

TROSKAB, Dansk SS-frivillig E.H. Rasmussens erindringer 1940-45

by
Peter Moller Hansen and Lindhardt Og Ringhof

This is undoubtedly the most exhaustively researched and documented biography of a Waffen-SS foreign volunteer officer written to date. Ellef Henry Rasmussen served with the 1.Kompanie of SS-Infanterie Regiment "Nordland" as a component of "Wiking" in Russia before attending the 3.Lehrgang for Germanic officer candidates at Junkerschule Bad Tölz. Later serving as Bataillonsadjutant with the II./SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 24 ”Danmark” (dänisches Nr. 1) of the 11.SS-Freiwilligen-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment "Nordland," Rasmussen served as a volunteer from 1940 to the end of the war and ended the conflict lesding the remnants of his unit as II.Bataillonsführer.

This volume is likewise a history of the Danish volunteer units and the operations they participated with every tangent aspect of Rasmussen's service significantly detailed including insight into numerous well-known award recipients and commanders. 348 mostly unseen images from both private and archive sources, 548 pages, hardbound. Highly recommended and well worthy of being further issued in English or German.
Attachments
Danish-107.jpg

krichter33

Re: New Danish Waffen-SS officer biography and history

Post by krichter33 » 16 Mar 2015, 02:02

Looks great!!! Hopefully it's translated eventually. I'm already learning German, then afterwards French! I doubt I'll ever have time to learn Danish!

Steen Ammentorp

Re: New Danish Waffen-SS officer biography and history

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 24 Mar 2015, 20:13

I just want to bring attention to another recent book about another Danish volunteer: Kryssing : Manden, der valgte forkert

By Thomas Harder, and published by Lindhardt & Ringhof.

It is a well researched biography, based upon Kryssing's many letters to his wife, mother and sister, plus his private notes. While interesting, it becomes a bit dull because is focus much on Kryssing's mindset and personal affairs - and he didn't have a colorful personality. I think it would have been more interesting if more details were given on his relations with fellow volunteers as well as his relations and dealings with German officers. 528 pages.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War Two

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”