The Leibstandarte Series - R Lehmann - why so expensive

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Ken S.

Re: The Leibstandarte Series - R Lehmann - why so expensive

Post by Ken S. » 29 Jun 2015, 19:11

It really doesn't seem like it to me. You expect everything you want to buy to be at bargain prices, yet believe you should get top dollar if you want to sell.

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 29 Jun 2015, 22:09

Ken S. wrote:It really doesn't seem like it to me. You expect everything you want to buy to be at bargain prices, yet believe you should get top dollar if you want to sell.
It's natural to want top dollar when you sell a book as in most cases you want to reinvest in your collection.

I must agree with Michael Kenny about the fixing of prices on some websites. For years I was after a set of the IMT books from the Nuremberg Trials ut complete sets were huge money 400-500GBP. Earlier in the year I struck lucky on e-bay and found the American version of the IMT evidence in 11 volumes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FULL-SET-OF-N ... 7675.l2557

I got them at a once in a lifetime bargain plus postage. They are keepers but if I were to sell I would want to get as much as I can for them.

Regards,

Ron

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 30 Jun 2015, 01:36

In terms of the Leibstandarte series (in English) what to feel the second-hand copies should be selling for? There is only one copy of volume 3 on abebooks, which is listed for $100. If another seller were to list a copy of this volume, do you really believe that they should price it at significantly less than $100?

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 30 Jun 2015, 01:48

Ken S. wrote:In terms of the Leibstandarte series (in English) what to feel the second-hand copies should be selling for? There is only one copy of volume 3 on abebooks, which is listed for $100. If another seller were to list a copy of this volume, do you really believe that they should price it at significantly less than $100?
What would you give someone who offered you a copy to resell today?

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 30 Jun 2015, 05:28

Of course you avoid answering the question by asking a question. I'm going to guess that you would expect a bookseller to pay you no less than $50 for a book the at the time has one listing for $100. :lol:
Michael Kenny wrote:
Ken S. wrote:In terms of the Leibstandarte series (in English) what to feel the second-hand copies should be selling for? There is only one copy of volume 3 on abebooks, which is listed for $100. If another seller were to list a copy of this volume, do you really believe that they should price it at significantly less than $100?
What would you give someone who offered you a copy to resell today?

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 30 Jun 2015, 06:03

Still no answer to the question. What would you give someone offering you a Lehmann II?

smetanin albert

Post by smetanin albert » 30 Jun 2015, 10:27

Hello everyone!
Leemana Books can be bought for 20 euros.
I bought in Austria is I Part (one more - as is illustrated).
I can offer the exchange.
There are in Germany and electronic versions of the books.
MfG
Albert

MAMC

Post by MAMC » 30 Jun 2015, 11:35

The mark up dealers put on books is indeed outrageous.
I bought a book some years ago for a $150 or so, (Friends Dear Friends And Heroes) and saw it recently on Amazon for $9999.98
But don't forget when you buy second hand books on Amazon, you ARE buying from dealers.....
"My hat and scarf Nester"...

Cult Icon

Post by Cult Icon » 10 Jul 2015, 07:01

There's also something else- I am looking for info on the use of the SSLAH in the Ukraine from Nov 1943 to April 1944.

The Leibstandarte III covers this from Nov 1943- Jan 1944 and has a disappointing 80 pages or so. But the Leibstandarte IV/I, according to the description covers this from Nov 1943- to Sept 1944. Then there is info that the author died in the process and someone else took over his role.

The Leibstandarte III is $200-100 plus and the Leibstandarte IV/I is available at normal prices.

What's going on here?

PanzermarschMkVI

Post by PanzermarschMkVI » 10 Jul 2015, 11:12

Hmmm I will be keeping my full set and map books !!!! Wasn't aware of the prices - wow

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 12 Jul 2015, 23:35

Hi

Well I sold my copies of Vol 1-4 inc the Map books for over £850 a few years ago, not a bad investment from when I first bought
them when they first came out :-)

In terms of the high (obscene) prices quoted by some dealers, its a policy called high-ending.
Basically these dealers tend to be predominately of the warehouse sized variety, in that they are a large enterprise that can afford to have
books sitting on there shelves for a longtime. What they do is identify certain titles and genre's that attract demand-such as military ones.
So lets say I (as an individual) put Vol I on at say £50, Warehouse dealer comes along and puts his on at £1000. There now bargaining on one
of two things happening. Firstly that other copies will appear that will bridge that £50-1000 gap too give their price some credence and secondly
that their book will be the last one standing as the cheaper ones are bought first. This then helps create an artificial high and there's always some
mug willing to pay the big bucks.
Also most of the dealers are hawking the same wares on a number of platforms (Amazon, Abe & eBay etc) under the same name, whilst a canny few
have different named accounts on the same sites, too create a false high :wink:

Regards

Andy H

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 18 Jul 2015, 04:35

Not sure how you're coming up with this. If some "mug willing to pay the big bucks" for a book then the seller has correctly priced the book, or has priced too low. If the bookseller happens to have the only or one of few copies of a rare or scarce book then there's not reason why they shouldn't price it high enough to maximize their return.

Michael Kenny

Post by Michael Kenny » 18 Jul 2015, 04:55

Ken S. wrote: If the bookseller happens to have the only or one of few copies of a rare or scarce book then there's not reason why they shouldn't price it high enough to maximize their return.

So what would you give some old lady selling her recently departed Husband's full set?

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 18 Jul 2015, 11:44

I'm not interested in a "full set" so I'm not sure why you're asking. It would be interesting to know what this "some old lady" would be hoping to get for the "full set," though.

steelers708

Post by steelers708 » 18 Jul 2015, 22:37

Michael Kenny wrote:
Ken S. wrote: If the bookseller happens to have the only or one of few copies of a rare or scarce book then there's not reason why they shouldn't price it high enough to maximize their return.

So what would you give some old lady selling her recently departed Husband's full set?
Assuming she didn't know the value of them, and considering that I'm no different to the vast majority of people in the world who wouldn't/don't pay more than they have to for things I'd give her £100-150. At £20-25 per volume I'm getting a bargain and she would probably think she's getting a good price, and no before you ask i wouldn't feel guilty.

On the other hand anyone wanting to buy my full set can have them for £1500 :roll:

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”