the survivor?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
new jersey devil

the survivor?

Post by new jersey devil » 28 Jun 2015, 06:52

hello friends! i'm a long time lurker(10 years!) and i finally decided to join this fine community.

i had a question thats been vexing me for many years. i hope someone here can help me out.
when i was 16,(1983) i bought a used paper back book called THE SURVIVOR(or maybe just SURVIVOR). it was a non fiction book about a ss man(formally of the 1st ss division) who surrendered in may 1945, escaped from the open air camp, then joined the french foreign legion. he went to vietnam and promptly deserted with 2 other germans.
as far as i remember, he ended up in laos, where he attempted to get back to germany. it ended with the guy just, well, being stranded there. tbh, i don't even remember what country he ended up in... :cry:
anyway, the guys name was, again iirc, eddy hugo. i believe the book was published by chapel hill(?) in the early 1950's. it was a very gripping account of his fighting with the 1st ss at the end of world war 2 and his very brief experience with the legion.
can anyone give me an idea on how to track down this book? know its been along time, and my memory is quite bad at remembering alot about it. like i said, it was a great book, and i'd love to read it again as an adult.
any help would be great! thanks.

new jersey devil

Re: the survivor?

Post by new jersey devil » 29 Jun 2015, 01:08

looks like noone has heard of the book...
any idea how i may track it down?

Richie B

Post by Richie B » 29 Jun 2015, 09:08

new jersey devil

Post by new jersey devil » 29 Jun 2015, 22:10

wow. thats it. now that i see it again, i remember the authurs last name.
thank you, richie! have you ordered from that place?

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 30 Jun 2015, 01:23

You can get it a lot cheaper on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 1435620064

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”