Wilbur & How vs. Mitarevsky on Soviet Influence in China

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Stephen_Rynerson

Wilbur & How vs. Mitarevsky on Soviet Influence in China

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 02 Jul 2015, 23:50

I am researching Soviet military assistance to various Chinese factions in the 1920s. As part of that research, I've already acquired a copy of C. Martin Wilbur & Julie How's Missionaries of Revolution: Soviet Advisers and Nationalist China, 1920-1927 (1989) plus a copy of Julie How's lengthy article "Soviet Advisers and the Kuominchun" from the journal Chinese Studies in History, Vol. 19, Nos. 1-2 (1985). Both of those sources cite heavily to N. Mitarevsky's World Wide Soviet Plots: As Disclosed By Hitherto Unpublished Documents Seized at the U.S.S.R. Embassy in Peking (1927). What I'm wondering is whether Mitarevsky's book contains enough additional/different content to make it worth acquiring outright in addition to the Wilbur/How sources I already have. Google Books unfortunately only has Mitarevsky's book available in "snippet" view, so it's extremely difficult to figure out how much its contents might differ from the combined Wilbur/How sources. (I apologize for this esoteric inquiry, but there aren't a lot of places to ask about this kind of thing! :milwink: )

Stephen_Rynerson

Re: Wilbur & How vs. Mitarevsky on Soviet Influence in China

Post by Stephen_Rynerson » 23 Mar 2016, 04:39

I'm going to answer my own question because I was finally able to get a copy of World Wide Soviet Plots via interlibrary loan. I would say that, at least from a military history perspective, if you have a copy of Missionaries of Revolution and access to "Soviet Advisers and the Kuominchun," then World Wide Soviet Plots is redundant, albeit historically interesting. Further, if you have to pick only one of these sources, then "Soviet Advisers and the Kuominchun" is the best from a military history perspective.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”