Good Sources on Eichmann, Theodor Eicke, etc.

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
EJWhite

Good Sources on Eichmann, Theodor Eicke, etc.

Post by EJWhite » 16 Aug 2015, 03:02

Hello,

I have a project that I'm working on so I have to study some of the important figures involved in the Holocaust. One issue is that I haven't been able to find many sources which actually describe what Eichmann, Theodor Eicke, and other men of similar importance were actually like on a personal level. Does anyone know any good resources which would actually describe what they were like as people? Or does anyone know any interesting stories about them? Like did Eichmann ever make stupid jokes that Heydrich didn't approve of or something like that (I'm just making that up, it's an example of the type of info I'd like to find)?

Thanks,
Edwin

HaShomer

Re: Good Sources on Eichmann, Theodor Eicke, etc.

Post by HaShomer » 16 Aug 2015, 03:24

The book Eichmann Interrogated, which are the edited transcripts of months of questioning by Israeli police Captain Avner Less, a German Jew, is excellent. Available on Amazon, etc

EJWhite

Post by EJWhite » 16 Aug 2015, 18:34

Thanks, I'll check it out. How about for the other guys like Eicke, Rudolf Höss, and Heinrich Müller? Are there any sources you know of which provide good personal information on them? I'd like to know what they were actually like as people. Most sources just go with the "they were monstrous, vicious, sadists" line but that isn't very descriptive. I'm sure they still had their own personalities and it'd be nice to find out what those personalities were like.

Does anyone know of any interesting / personal stories about any of these guys?

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 19 Aug 2015, 01:02

David Cesarini wrote an excellent book upon Eichmann available in english.
Niels Weise an excellent one upon Eicke in german only

Paul Lantos

Post by Paul Lantos » 08 Sep 2015, 17:11

The book by Cesarani is hands down the best bio of Eichmann. I don't care for the history of the trial by Deborah Lipstadt, I think Cesarani did a better job and wrote a more taut and interesting book. For Höss there are some interviews with him from around the time of Nuremberg, including by a psychiatrist who interviewed the actual defendants (Höss was a witness at Nuremberg, not a defendant). But there's little else and his autobiography is garbage. Almost nothing I know of exists on Muller, I think most of what's known are recollections by Eichmann himself.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”