Verifying these sources?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
DerFreiKorpMann

Verifying these sources?

Post by DerFreiKorpMann » 09 Apr 2016, 15:40

Hallo! I was searching for squad field tactics and maneuvers and found this, http://www.lonesentry.com/intelbulletin ... eries.html which had some documents for the German squad in battle, weapons, tactic doctrine, and other stuff. Just wondering about the credibility of this and the accuracy.

Danke!
Potz, Mohren, Blitz und Kreuzelement,
Wer den Fritz und seine Soldaten noch nicht kennt!"

Damn bloody hell
Upon anyone still not knowing Fritz and his soldiers!"

pintere
Financial supporter

Re: Verifying these sources?

Post by pintere » 09 Apr 2016, 15:45

DerFreiKorpMann wrote:Hallo! I was searching for squad field tactics and maneuvers and found this, http://www.lonesentry.com/intelbulletin ... eries.html which had some documents for the German squad in battle, weapons, tactic doctrine, and other stuff. Just wondering about the credibility of this and the accuracy.

Danke!
While I'm in no position to verify it myself, I can give some advice for doing so. The best way to verify it is to simply check other sources on the same topic, and if they confirm what was written there, chances are that it is credible enough.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 11 Apr 2016, 18:15

DerFreiKorpMann wrote:Hallo! I was searching for squad field tactics and maneuvers and found this, http://www.lonesentry.com/intelbulletin ... eries.html which had some documents for the German squad in battle, weapons, tactic doctrine, and other stuff. Just wondering about the credibility of this and the accuracy.
While Allied intelligence information was sometimes correct, it was also often flawed. While intelligence manuals gives some information about how the Allies perceived the German army, it should not be used as a direct source.

pintere wrote:While I'm in no position to verify it myself, I can give some advice for doing so. The best way to verify it is to simply check other sources on the same topic, and if they confirm what was written there, chances are that it is credible enough.
Except it isn't. The accuracy of a source is not determined by popular vote. Many English-language books on the German army are based on Allied intelligence documents, meaning that the same incorrect information is repeated ad nauseam.

pintere
Financial supporter

Post by pintere » 11 Apr 2016, 22:40

Christian Ankerstjerne wrote:Except it isn't. The accuracy of a source is not determined by popular vote. Many English-language books on the German army are based on Allied intelligence documents, meaning that the same incorrect information is repeated ad nauseam.
I'm no stranger to this sort of thing, having encountered it myself many times. And that did actually come to mind as I was writing. Though I maintain that although never a guarantee of historical accuracy, multiple confirmation by different sources is usually a good indicator of accuracy.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”