Mark Yerger passed away

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Ignacio

Mark Yerger passed away

Post by Ignacio » 11 Sep 2016, 00:44

Sadly, I must inform to all forum members that US author, forum member and friend Mark Yerger passed away a few days ago. His health was very poor but worsened dramatically in the last few months. My close friend and master is gone, although his spirit and inspiration will be with me forever.

I know some of you did not share his opinions or views. But I am sure ALL will recognize the quality and unique nature of his books and Waffen-SS knowledge. The access to vets he enjoyed, his care for the high quality of the pictures, the depth of his research from original sources, his historical approach... All contributed to a life's work unequalled regarding the Waffen-SS.

It is difficult for me to express in English language the qualities that as a close friend I appreciated in his character and personality. Of course he had faults as every human being. But for me his virtues as friend, writer, historian and man clearly exceeded those faults.

I promised him to write and publish the third volume of the Totenkopf books, which he considered his masterpieces, the books he always dreamed to write and design. I will do it, although not in the short term due to my professional job and lack of time. But I will honor my word and I will do my best so, there in heaven, he will be pleased with it.

My sincere condolences to his sister Leslie, to whom he loved and respected the most.

Descansa en paz, mi querido amigo (Rest in peace, my dear friend)

Ignacio Arrondo

Ignacio

Re: Mark Yerger passed away

Post by Ignacio » 11 Sep 2016, 00:45

This post is on behalf of Mark's sister Leslie

Being of a personal, factual, and informative nature I please request no replies or comments be sent to me directly. Beyond normal sibling connection my brother and I had a mental bond acknowledged by our extended family if not understood and I was in closest proximity to him the longest. Although directly involved with what he did legally as owner of his copyrights since the 1990s, I would then be unable to participate in even a superficial conversation about any aspect or subject related to WW II. Simply stated I was and am involved due to the trust between us and my family owning a business related to taxes, investments, patents, copyrights, and other financial dealings for companies and individuals. While I cannot converse in detail of what he wrote about I am more than capable regarding other aspects of what he did. But I am now further involved as both executrix and sole beneficiary. So the directives I have require a statement, assurances, and thanks I hope to adequately convey if only having calendar years as references.

I am sure many have had a family member or relative with health issues that could not be repaired or cured, modern medicine often prolonging an issue to the point where someone says "no more." Be it cancer, organ issues, etc more procedures or more treatment gets to the point of being far more painful physically, mentally, and emotionally that any benefit. Anyone who has known a person at that point understands and had the frustration of being able to do nothing to help. And medical professionals admit to simply surviving to that point required far more than most people have.

My brother got to that point some time ago, said "no more," and we understood the results and time involved. But I wanted him here and asked for more time. What he wrote after "German Cross in Gold Holders of the SS and Police" volume 5 all can consider "free." He should not have been alive to do more.

Regardless of what anything thinks they may have ever seen, no one has the ability to fathom what was done to my brother physically to give me what I wanted. Other repercussions aside from what he physically endured. No adults in my family could have taken that much punishment, all admitting so, and none of them understand how he did it. The exact medical professional answer I got when I asked how he remained mentally as well as emotionally focused and in control was "I don't know." So I have no answer or explanation how he was able to function and focus normally, much less write his last 6 books. By any normal measure or understanding they should not exist but they do. But even an effort I cannot understand has a limit.

I have contact with his closest colleagues, most importantly Ignacio Arrondo. That aside from lengthy dictations as to what constitutes exchange, a worthwhile contribution, and other things, what I now own will be used exactly as it was when my brother owned it. Ignacio has equal or better awareness, knowledge, and will be the same as dealing with my brother. So all please note that nothing my brother owned is for sale, nothing is simply free for the asking. I am keenly aware of both cost and value, being involved in the three months of effort undertaken by Mark a couple years ago. A duplicate or originals if equal could not be duplicated of everything he owned is already with Ignacio Arrondo. That effort alone was a four figure cost in shipping hundreds of physical packages, aside from 300 hours of automated electronic scanning.

All my resources, what I now own, ability, and other possible help is available for "Totenkopf" volume 3 to be completed. Having his own family I ask Ignacio please keep them as priority, the book will be completed when he can as I know all sources, needs, etc are available. I will eventually have a copy of that Totenkopfverbände volume to keep with my copies of the 2 divisional volumes. Since Mark demanded in 2013 all eventual proceeds from the first two books be used to allow Ignacio's wife to select a small holiday for them, a postcard from their destination will be treasured as well. Completion of Ignacio's volume was my brother's highest priority wish. Ignacio was Mark's best and most trusted friend.

I am the signatory and listed co-author of my brother's last book, "Honoring Those They Led." Despite having no grasp how he could physically write it, I was given a choice. A long ago casual conversation on travel I mentioned wanting to go to Australia. I have the option of using the book proceeds towards seeing Australia or expending all money to see concerts of my brother's lifetime music taste; Heavy Metal. He was extreme and forever musically. But I would go deaf from his music taste that's far different from mine. So I will be traveling "down under" at some point. Being publisher involved for years I will get help from Ignacio in posting the book's actual release, etc.

The German Air Force volume of "Honoring Those They Led" will not be completed and am donating those materials to a specified person and publisher.

The last three author's Mark was helping with their first books I have notes they have what is needed to near completion. I am sure Ignacio will help with any advice or expertise they may need near the conclusion of their efforts. I don't even know who they are, but this notation in his desk diary to one of them I assume will be understood by that individual; What are you??

With his interest in aircraft and other WW II topics there is a significant donation to a museum for the restoration of an example of Mark's favorite WW II US fighter aircraft. He was fascinated by the B-17 for almost 50 years for reasons I never understood. Early this year he took me for a ride in one, I sat in the nose during take-off. Trust me, I understand now.

We are both animal people and cats will be given homes for free every year in Mark's name. Cats don't obey verbal commands, they don't walk on a leash like a dog, and cats don't physically guard and protect people like a Doberman. My brother's did.

Eventually I will post a note regarding my brother's favorite authors, favorite books, and other aspects of what he did or thought. At the moment the various firsts, only, best, or most of whatever I'm told he did are meaningless and unimportant to me. I appreciate that what he did was important to him and the high regard he had for those who bought what he wrote and contributed. But I am proudest of what he did few know; arranging for foreign language texts to be printed in Enlich, free of payment or credit. He wanted people to have the oppotunity to read them. That was enough and what a research-historian is. Writing books with materials from his holding combined with private materials owned by collectors with the collector listed as author. Without payment. Because otherwise people could not learn from private material. That is a research-historian. Like those he contributed to in greater number than his own books, most people do nothing unless they are paid or must have their name on everything to gain credit for what they are not or did not do. Arranging for 1 German book to be done in English I asked why not get credit. His simple reply; I didn't write the book, I just want others to be able to read it. My help is what a research-historian supposed to do. If I could not understand that, I never would.

But while those readers still have parts or whole books by him to have in the future, I have lost my brother. He was far more in more ways than most.

Leslie Fiorenza

ttvon

Post by ttvon » 11 Sep 2016, 01:25

I am very sorry to hear that.
I have read his books which are high-quality.

Rest in peace

ttvon

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 11 Sep 2016, 01:32

Some months ago I contacted Mark in relation to a query on a subject I was researching - his reply was positive and lengthy which surprised me - when I thanked him for taking the time to reply he came back with an even more surprising suggestion. He told me that I was capable of writing a book on my subject of interest and he would teach me how. This will also surprise those of you who are aware that I have investigated war crimes allegations of the WSS in the past and that he has been accused by many of brushing this subject under the carpet. I was upfront about this from the start and it didn't affect in any shape or form his willingness to aid and guide me. He proceeded to deluge me with vast quantities of information from his archives and also sent me photos from his personal collection at his own expense. I was overwhelmed by his generosity in the time and goods that he provided ... .... his reason was simple, he said that he believed in me and wanted to share the knowledge while he could. To have had the very briefest insight into his world has been an honour and privilege - we corresponded at length and he challenged me in so many ways - there were tears along the way (all mine) but he was never too proud to say sorry when he went too far.

I had seen his photo from the 80s, the one with his friend and mentor, Otto W. which I teased him unmercifully about -especially about his McGyver hair cut and stone washed denims but what struck me most was the brightness of his eyes which were full of life. When he took me on he told me about his accident and how it had impacted on his health ever since... he also told me of his regrets that he had sacrificed his personal life in pursuit of his passion and he warned me not to make the same mistake ... He spoke with much warmth about the two people who meant the most to him, Ignacio and his sister Leslie ... these and his cat were the most important people in his life and I extend my condolences to you both.

He lit a flame of self belief in me that i hope someday will bear fruit and make him proud of me. He was an enigma with an energy that came towards me like a hurricane and I personally believe we were all blessed to know him and that we will feel the very cold breeze of his absence.

Mark - ... thank you for everything..... I'd normally add, 'rest in peace' but in your case I know you'll be as busy in the next life as your were in this..... x
Last edited by seaburn on 11 Sep 2016, 02:13, edited 1 time in total.

Georges JEROME
Financial supporter

Post by Georges JEROME » 11 Sep 2016, 01:57

Very sad news.
My friend Phil Nix (+) was in connexion with him a long time and I have opportunity to exchange with him too. Very clever and helpfull . Proud owner of some of his books dedicated since years, his writings are very usefull for my own researchs.

thank you Mark and R.I.P.

Kameraden

Post by Kameraden » 11 Sep 2016, 02:23

Very sorry to hear. A great loss to our community as small as it is. I own several of his books and was always impressed with his work and even more with his collection of autographed pictures. RIP Marc.

Michael Miller
Forum Staff

Post by Michael Miller » 11 Sep 2016, 02:49

We had our creative differences, but he was the master in his field. And starting in 1997, when i began my first clumsy correspondence with him, he inspired and mentored me as no other could have. He was so generous with his knowledge and time. I will miss and continue to learn from him.
Expected as it was, this causes me great sadness, as did the passing of Phil Nix (to whom Mark introduced me).

pim

Post by pim » 11 Sep 2016, 02:51

I am devastated to read this. It has been relatively well known that Mark had major health issues for a long time. With that a fact it was amazing what Mark managed to produce. Even for a person 100% fit it would have been difficult to match Mark's work ethic and dedication. A very unique and brave man who always stated what he thought. He was no diplomat and met any problem or perceived issue he had head-on. I admired him for that and always considered him my friend -a word I don't use loosely. There is so much more to write about him but I am too gutted. Rest in Peace good man. You will be much missed.

coburg22

Post by coburg22 » 11 Sep 2016, 06:15

Unlike life, books written will live on for future generations! Mark was able to share his knowledge and as a result, was able to leave his footprint on this Earth!

Anas sawallha

Post by Anas sawallha » 11 Sep 2016, 07:46

im really sorry to hear this,
My sincere condolences to his family and his friends and the members of this forum.
his memory will live in his work. this good work will accompany him forever.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 11 Sep 2016, 09:25

I am very sorry to hear this. His books was and will continue to be an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing your knowledge not only in your books but also here.

Rest in peace.

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 11 Sep 2016, 09:39

Lieber Mark,

Wir waren nie die besten Freunde, und hatten im Laufe der Jahre auch unsere Dispute. Ich bin geschockt, dass Du nicht mehr unter uns bist!

Ruhe in Frieden!

Jan-Hendrik

At the moment unable to express this in english language!

DargesFlyKiller

Post by DargesFlyKiller » 11 Sep 2016, 09:47

I possess several of Mark's books and they have always been superbly researched and of the highest quality. Rest in Peace Mark, and my condolences to Mark's sister Leslie, Ignacio and all who knew Mark on a personal level.

lazybather

Post by lazybather » 11 Sep 2016, 09:52

Sad news, we've lost a writer of great stature.
I too wish to add my sincere condolences to his family and his friends.

Stuart.

Igor Karpov
Host - ABR sections

Post by Igor Karpov » 11 Sep 2016, 10:08

Rest in peace, Mark.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”