"Führerliste der Waffen-SS" by John P. Moore

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
waffen-IDF

Re: "Führerliste der Waffen-SS" by John P. Moore

Post by waffen-IDF » 08 Dec 2008, 20:48

Man, some people are very sensitive or down-right self-righteous.

I wrote in my facebook "I'm having trouble with the Waffen-SS 1941 officer's casualty list" because the documents presented by our kind John Moore is a in German, b the casualty covers a period between two weeks to a months, and in some cases, no first name.

The point is, one of my high-school friend wrote "How about the casualty caused by the orders of the ss-officers".
I wrote back that in 1941 most of the casualty cause by the w-SS officers were Russians and I don't have much sympathy for the Russian because they murdered 20,000 Polish officers in 1940.

What transpired next, well I think I lost a high school friend because of my interested in the Waffen-SS. It's really hard to explain to people that for the most part the Waffen-SS were purely or at least for the most part, a combat entity. But, most people lump it together with the all the order element of the SS.

OK. I have almost given up researching and take the easy way out. How do I go about getting John Moore's cd. Help!

j keenan
Financial supporter

Post by j keenan » 13 Dec 2008, 18:37

Mail him very helpful is Mr Moore

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 12 Apr 2009, 05:58

In the past 18 months the page count of the A - Z list of Waffen-SS officers on Disc 1 has increased by 26 pages to 1,272 pages. This is largely a result of the special assistance provided by Drs. Nico Heitman with the many documents that he has turned up from March 1945 and later that identify hundreds of new mames from Untersturmführer and Standarten Oberjunker promotion lists. Nico has also been able to add considerable detail regarding Dutch SS officers. He has also uncovered questionaires from former officer members of the 34 and 38th SS divisions when they were released from being POWs. My thanks to Nico for the recent help along with the past invaluable contrubutions from the researchers specializing in the Scandanavian, Baltic, Ukrainian, Walloon and Flemish volunteers. Many years ago somebody in Canada counted over 26,000 officer names in the A - Z list.

John

Endzeit Jan
In memoriam

Post by Endzeit Jan » 03 Jun 2009, 14:33

Hi
Times I have a question.
There were 2 times the name of Geerts according to guide list.
Name Leo and Caesar. Both are born at the same day and same place.
And both were at the Langemarck.
So I go away from the brothers were. Or a typographical errors?
Jan

-Michael

Post by -Michael » 15 Jun 2009, 20:24

Endzeit Jan wrote:Hi
Times I have a question.
There were 2 times the name of Geerts according to guide list.
Name Leo and Caesar. Both are born at the same day and same place.
And both were at the Langemarck.
So I go away from the brothers were. Or a typographical errors?
Jan
They where twins

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 11 Jul 2009, 04:36

Last April I commented how the A-Z list in “Führerliste …” had increased by 29 pages with the addition of hundreds of new names of SS-Untersturmführers and Standaten Oberjunkers from March 1945 and later. Plus hundreds of new unit assignment details from 1940 – 1945 for many of the other officers found in that 1,275 page data base. These new assignment details come from period documents. Also, some corrections. Additional data has been added to the separate division lists, KIA/MIA lists and cemetery lists. Since then a number of people have expressed an interest in purchasing an “upgrade” of Disc 1 of Part 1 of “Führerliste..” where all of this data is found. The regular price of the 2-disc Part 1 is USD 145 or Euro 125. Now I am offering an upgrade price of USD 55 or Euro 40 for Disc 1 of Part 1 for people who have earlier purchased the original Part 1.

Interested people can send me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected]

John

Peter
Financial supporter

Post by Peter » 03 Aug 2009, 19:09

Payment sent by Paypal, thank you John.

freddiefro

Post by freddiefro » 06 Aug 2009, 11:18

John,

I just received my upgrade yesterday and, just when I thought your "Führerliste" couldn't get any better…it got better! Thanks and keep up the great work.

- Fred

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 06 Aug 2009, 17:59

Hi John,

I have no interest in named individuals, but do you include any statistical analysis by way of overview of the material you have published?

Is your material primarily of interest to genealogists or is it accompanied by statistical analyses of its content from which wider military-historical conclusions may be drawn?

I can see a lot of potential in such information if assembled in a condensed form.

Cheers,

Sid.

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 09 Aug 2009, 23:23

Fred & Peter - Thanks for your positive comments about the update.

Sid - There is no statistical analysis in "Führerliste.." as that is not its purpose. However there is such a multitude of data that researchers so inclined could perform any number of statistical analyses. Such as what was the percentage of Reichsdeutche, Volksdeutche and non-germanic officers in specific divisions, casualty rates among these different groups, variations in yeargroup compositions of various divisions, recipients of high awards, degradations in rank, suicides, etc.

John

Sid Guttridge

Post by Sid Guttridge » 10 Aug 2009, 18:39

Hi John,

Many thanks.

Have you considered doing such analyses yourself? You are best positioned to do so as you have the raw material and I think it would enhance the wider value of your work considerably.

Cheers,

Sid.

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 10 Aug 2009, 20:12

Mister Moore, thank you for your research!

What about Waffen SS officers from Eastern Europe?
Baltic states, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia?
Are they also in your database?

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 11 Aug 2009, 06:50

Sid - Thanks for your suggestion, but I will leave the statistical analyses to someone else-

Kurt - Most Waffen-SS officers will be found in the big A - Z list except for the non-Germanic officers from Hungary and Italy. That is because there were no personnel files for those men at the former Berlin Document Center to be found in the regular SS records for some odd reason, nor could I find listings for those men on any period documents. (Does anyone know the reason for the lack of BDC records?) There are plenty of representative Personalakten on the CDs to study for the countries that you asked about. As an example for Ukraine there 373 pages of documents for 56 officers. Latvia has 766 pages for 102 officers, Estonia has 1,009 pages for 143 officers and what I list under "Russia" has 74 pages on 11 officers. I don't believe any are from Belarus as see men from places like Alma Ata, Tiflis, Bsebai and some places in Georgia.

John

Kurt_Belarus

Post by Kurt_Belarus » 11 Aug 2009, 14:22

Thank you!
John P. Moore wrote:I don't believe any are from Belarus as see men from places like Alma Ata, Tiflis, Bsebai and some places in Georgia.
Perhaps reason for this is that there were no belarusians in waffen ss units until fall 1944?

John P. Moore

Post by John P. Moore » 14 Jan 2010, 05:57

I wish to thank Mr. Michael Melnyk, author of “To Battle”, for allowing me to include his data base of officers that he has identified as being members of the 14.Galician Waffen-SS Division in Part 1 of my “Führerliste der Waffen-SS publication”. This data base that Mr. Melnyk has compiled consists of more than 550 officers, most of whom were Ukrainians, and amounts to 16 pages that is now part of Divisions section in the Addendum.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”