Outside of ww1 and ww2 what are you reading?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Imad

Re: Outside of ww1 and ww2 what are you reading?

Post by Imad » 03 Oct 2011, 02:00

The Changing Faces of Jesus by Geza Vermes

Imad

Post by Imad » 03 Dec 2011, 20:58

Hitler by Ian Kershaw

doogal

Post by doogal » 05 Dec 2011, 14:15

Tried to read critique of pure reason by Kant due to reading a book by P.Paret in which he analyses On War. He talked of the dialectic method used by Clausewitz to search for the truth of War. I looked into Hegelian dialectics first who used terms which Kant used. Very hard to Read!!! i struggle........
The Franco/Prussian War by August von Moltke
The Iron Kingdom...........

Imad

Post by Imad » 06 Dec 2011, 03:28

doogal wrote:Tried to read critique of pure reason by Kant due to reading a book by P.Paret in which he analyses On War. He talked of the dialectic method used by Clausewitz to search for the truth of War. I looked into Hegelian dialectics first who used terms which Kant used. Very hard to Read!!! i struggle........
The Franco/Prussian War by August von Moltke
The Iron Kingdom...........

I went through the same struggle :) I decided to shelve the book for later.

doogal

Post by doogal » 11 Dec 2011, 19:00

Henry Lloyd: The history of the greater war in Germany (seven years war)

And yeah i shelved Kant for the time being: it will come back out when i have looked at the complete history of western phillosophy ( no time soon )

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 19 Apr 2012, 21:47

I am currently reading -Dead Men Risen: The Welsh Guards and the Real Story of Britain's War in Afghanistan,by Toby Harnden.

A very good book detailing the horrific tour undertaken by The Welsh Guards in Afghanistan in 2009. Very good book a must read IMO.

Attrition

Daniel Ingram. Indians and British Outposts in C18th America

Post by Attrition » 31 Aug 2012, 08:24

Attrition wrote:Replenishing the Earth, The Settler Revolution and the Rise of the Anglo World 1783-1939 (2009) by James Belich.

A review that touches on Belich's world analysis....

Daniel Ingram. Indians and British Outposts in Eighteenth-Century America. Gainesville: University Press of Florida, 2012. xiii + 257 pp. $69.95 (cloth), ISBN 978-0-8130-3797-4.

Reviewed by Bryan Rindfleisch (University of Oklahoma)
Published on H-Empire (August, 2012)
Commissioned by Charles V. Reed

On the Margins of Empire: Indigenous Peoples, Imperial Fortifications, and the British Empire on the North American Periphery during the Eighteenth Century

Daniel Ingram provides an innovative and novel study of “fort-based cultural interactions” between the native peoples of North America and the British soldiers, traders, missionaries, administrators, and settlers who garrisoned these fortifications throughout the eighteenth century (p. 2). Contrary to more recent historical monographs that frame these Indian-British encounters, negotiations, and contestation within the hegemonic context of empire and colonialism, Ingram instead suggests that these forts on the frontiers of the British Empire comprised their “own little worlds” where “local concerns often trumped outside strategies” and imperial objectives (p. 6). While Ingram hardly discounts the importance of empire and colonialism to his study, he stresses that British outposts, despite being the “forerunners of empire” as British officials tried to “impose mastery over a region,” more often than not failed to control imperial peripheries (pp. 2-3). As Ingram explains, British efforts to install order upon imperial frontiers proved primarily a conciliatory process where “mutual understandings, revelatory misunderstandings, brash hauteur, and pragmatic solutions to unforeseen complications” rather than violence undergirded the interactions between British and native peoples at these forts (p. 26). Ctd....

Mark McShane

Post by Mark McShane » 31 Aug 2012, 09:01

'The Opium War' by Julia Lovell. An excellent history of the first and second Opium wars. Not a topic of history that I had known a great deal about, which is why I bought the book. Lovell's book certainly covers the topic very well, excellent background to the war and the opium trade, aswell as a great insight into Imperial China's attempts at dealing with the foriegn powers at the time. Palmerstons steam gunboats and the inept Chinese military of the time are graphically portrayed in the one sided battles.

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 25 Sep 2012, 01:13

Tying Rocks To Clouds: Conversations With Wise and Spiritual People by William Elliot

Published in 1995, it was researched in the late 1980's, and is a series of standard questions to some of the worlds most compassionate and spiritual leaders, from the Dali Lama, to Mother Teresa, to Norman Vincent Peale, to B.F. Skinner, twenty people in all. Written by an average guy trying to find the meaning of life.

Jeff_

Post by Jeff_ » 25 Sep 2012, 11:32

Just reread (for the nth time)- Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein
Great book for the military enthusiast and I think it is a great philosophical work too, can't recommend it higher
The Great Divorce and The Screwtape Letters by C.S Lewis
They were OK, I'm not a Christian but I definitely like Lewis' style, I'll have to reread The Chronicles series when I have a chance
In Cold Blood by Truman Capote a few weeks ago
Gripping, but he took some liberties according to what I've read about the case
And I've just started The Lost Weekend by Charles Jackson and...
The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Supposedly it's the opposite of Starship Troopers so we'll see...
And Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut
This was lent to me by a friend. I haven't gotten that far into to it yet, but it's no novel just a collection of Vonnegut speeches and essays(not that that's a bad thing :D )
On my list for non-WWII history to read, when I get around to it, are
Sebastopol by Leo Tolstoi and Napoleon's Russian Campaign by Count Philippe-Paul De Segur

Ken S.

Post by Ken S. » 25 Feb 2013, 03:37

SEAL Team Six by Howard E. Wasdin

UFOs: Myths, Conspiracies, and Realities by John B. Anderson

JeroenPollentier

Post by JeroenPollentier » 15 Sep 2014, 21:29

I have finished reading Simon Reeve's One Day in September, about the 1972 Olympia hostage crisis
in Munich. It's very exciting and a real page-turner. The thing that put me off, however, is the
fact that although he tries to comprehend both sides, and is relatively mild for both Israelis
and Palestians, he has no mercy towards the Germans, who screwed up the rescue action.
He goes so far to suggest that the Germans deliberately refused to risk their lives for Jews, which
apparently was a sign that the WW2-era antisemitism had not disappeared in Germany. Apart from that,
a very good book. I would have loved to read more about the mid-term consequences in Germany itself
though, for example the expulsion of Arab persons from Germany, the founding of the GSG9 anti-terror
unit, and so on.

wenty

Post by wenty » 16 Sep 2014, 03:36

"Auld Hands: The men who made Belfast's shipyards great" by Tom Thompson.

http://www.amazon.com/Auld-Hands-Belfas ... 0856409111

It is essentially a book of memoirs and anecdots relating to life in the Belfast shipyards, specifically Harland & Wolff, although it does give a great overview of the histories of other shipyards in the area such as Workman Clark. There's also mentions of some of the ships which were built for, or converted to warships during World War I and II. Highly recommended.

Next on my list is "Naming Jack the Ripper" by Richard Edwards, going to see what all the fuss is about....

http://www.amazon.com/Naming-Jack-Rippe ... 1493011901

Cheers,
Adam.

Dutto1

Post by Dutto1 » 24 Sep 2014, 23:32

I have been taking a break from what I usually read. I have started this book by Steve Coll and up to now it's a real page turner-

Ghost Wars: The Secret History of the CIA, Afghanistan and Bin Laden.

revans618

Post by revans618 » 24 Oct 2014, 21:07

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”