Generals.dk - Major Update

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Steen Ammentorp

Generals.dk - Major Update

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 05 May 2005, 17:26

I just want to tell that there has just been a major update at Generals.dk and it now includes 15147 generals. Especially there have been updates in the Soviet, US and Japanese sections. The Japanese section now includes every divisional commander 1932-1945.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp
The Generals of World War II
Last edited by Steen Ammentorp on 31 Jul 2005, 14:39, edited 1 time in total.

Steen Ammentorp

Re: Major update at Generals.dk

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 19 May 2005, 08:54

I made a minor update yesterday, primarily in the Japanese and Greek sections.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 31 Jul 2005, 14:40

I have just launched another major update. The database now includes 15351 generals.

The updates were primarily in the US, Japanese, Bulgarian and Yugoslav sections. In the Yugoslav section I have added a lot on the generals of the royal army. Not finished though ;-)

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 21 Sep 2005, 21:47

Yet another update adding additional generals and information on existing generals. The database now includes 15473 generals. The updates has mainly been made in the British (Indian Army), Japanese, Soviet and Yugoslav sections.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 08 Jan 2006, 20:42

I have just made an update of the database. The database now includes 15520 generals.
Besides adding a few new generals I have added a lot of information on the generals in the Bulgarian, Canadian and Soviet sections. I have also started adding photos of the generals i.e. take the Latvian generals.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 11 Apr 2006, 12:25

I have just made an update to the database, which now includes 15577 generals and there has been added a lot of info mainly in the Belgian, Chinese, French and Soviet sections. It now includes pictures of over 200 generals (so few and so many generals).

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 30 Jul 2006, 23:44

There has just been an update to the database, which now includes 15589 generals. So there has not been added that many new generals but instead there has been added a lot of new information on in particularly Czechoslovakian, Japanese and Soviet generals. Additional pictures has also been added and more to come.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz » 31 Jul 2006, 12:58

Great new Steen. I am a big fan of your site and I use it a lot.

It would be great to see photographs (even just a head shot of each man) to accompany the biographies.

Best regards,

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 01 Aug 2006, 15:29

Thanks David,

Photos will becomming but it is a slow process.

Kind regards
Steen Ammentorp

Königstiger

Post by Königstiger » 01 Aug 2006, 22:43

I'm also a frequent visitor of your site. It's great and it's still getting better. Keep up the good work! I can imagine it's a huge project.

Regards,

Auke

79seconds

Post by 79seconds » 01 Sep 2006, 16:17

See if I can give a hand in Chinese and Japanese Section.

Highly recommend if post the generals' names both in English and their mother languages, for convenience of searching. What's your opinion, Steen? Just a small propose.

Best Regards

79s

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 03 Sep 2006, 17:50

79s,

A very good suggestion indeed and I am actually adding names in their mothers languages for Chinese, Japanese, Soviet and Bulgarian generals for just the this purpose. However though many names have been added (primarily Japanese) to the database I have not made them visible yet.

While the online translation tools is reasonable when translating from Japanese then translating from Chinese seems a bit more difficult specially when it comes to names.

There is a wonderful site here http://www.hoplite.cn/templates/huangpushisheng.htm Maybe you already know it already? With a lot of information on Chinese generals but I do have trouble translating it. So any help would be useful.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

79seconds

Post by 79seconds » 04 Sep 2006, 15:29

Yes Steen, this site is a very informative database. But it is not supplying with English translating tools, coming along with much difficulties for you to collection accurate info about Chinese military figures.

I think it is convenient for me to match up some of the figures picked from this site to your database with Chinese Charaters and the formal standard pronunciation (Ping Yin) of their names (which would be easy for those from Mainland China to read).

I am also trying to collect all the portraits of those Chinese Generals. We may share these in process.

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 12 Sep 2006, 22:13

WOW! :)
Great website. Thanks for sharing all that great information.
Keep up the fine work!

Steen Ammentorp

Post by Steen Ammentorp » 27 Oct 2006, 23:51

I have just made another Major update. The database now includes 16434 generals and 447 photos. I have added a section for the Thai generals of WWII and I have started adding the generals of the USAAF in the American section. Other major updates have been made in the Japanese and Soviet section.

In the Chinese section I am in the process of changing the Romanization of the Chinese names from the Wade-Giles system to Pinyin. However it may take a few days before it is complete. As a result of the change I have added the aka's of the names in the Wade-Giles system and in Chinese characters when available. I have also added Japanese characters for the Japanese generals.

There will be a number of minor update during the weekend as well.

Finally but least I want to mention that this major update couldn't have been done without the help of numerous members of the forum. I am most grateful for their assistance. Thank you.

Kind Regards
Steen Ammentorp

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”