German divisional histories - quality and availability

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Jan-Hendrik

Re: German divisional histories - quality and availability

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 25 Jun 2009, 06:54

I am just through Knoblauch's 95.ID, really worth buyiing 8-)

First I have to damit, that after autumn 1943 the book gets really dry and is not much precise anymore, due to all Documents of the Division are lost from this point on, and there was never a Tradtiionsverband of this unit, so no personal diaries or similiar stuff was avaiable.

On the other hand the part for the French Campaign and USSR 1841-1943 is absolutly excellent. For a iD history not like Scherzer's 133.ID, but it gets really close in 3/4 of the book :D

Now I am waiting for Scherzer's new Volume on 46.ID to come this summer 8-)

Jan-Hendrik

ericv

Post by ericv » 26 Jun 2009, 09:41

Just finished both Helmut Weber's 122. Infanteriedivision and Schick's 10. Panzerdivision.

Both are good divisional histories.

The 122. ID lacks a bit in the Map-section. Mainly just hand-drawn sketchs, which are in some cases really vague. As can be expected, the Kurland-period is a bit short, but otherwise a good history with detailed descriptions of where the division was fighting accompanied by lots of personal accounts of the soldiers involved. Also a Stellenbesetzung with lots of names sometimes down to Zug-level but sadly no dates to go with them . Copies range between 100 and 200 euro's . Worth the money.

Then there is the elusive 10. Panzerdivision by Schick.
A very detailed description , at times minute by minute ,of: " this Regiment went there, this Abteilung went there, this Zug was positioned there etc. etc. " Which is what I like to read.
Some major downsides are : No first-hand accounts, the map-section is virtually non-existent(for me it wasn't a problem, having enough maps of the theaters this division fought in), no stellenbesetzungen, and the price obviously. My copy cost 350+ Euro's.
In short I would say, it's only worth the money if you (like me) collect divisional histories or if you can get it somewhere for 100 Euro's or so.

Jan-Hendrik: Do you know when the 46. Infanteriedivsion's book is going to be available?

Regards

Eric

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 26 Jun 2009, 10:00

It is due to be out this summer :wink:

Just got the reprint of Kumm's Prinz-Eugen Volume, they just thrwot it out for 9,95 Euros :D :D

Good buy, I think :wink:

Jan-Hendrik

trollelite

Post by trollelite » 28 Jun 2009, 15:58

Which 46 Division Book can you enlight me? Besides, I only find 9,90 euro books of those 2 baende of brennpunkt ostfront, where is that prinz eugen book? How do you say these newly reprinted one compared with old ones? I don't want repeat nebel edition...

trollelite

Post by trollelite » 28 Jun 2009, 16:03

Well, found that. Have you good relation with schertzer? Perhaps you could tell him while his book is generally good, I find it's very annoying why he couldn't simply put that damned division emblem on his books cover! This is a bad invention of stupid nebel edition,I see no reason why his 50 euro books have to stick with that. His 21 panzer division book does have division emblem on cover.

ericv

Post by ericv » 29 Jun 2009, 11:00

Jan-Hendrik wrote:It is due to be out this summer :wink:
:D
Just got the reprint of Kumm's Prinz-Eugen Volume, they just thrwot it out for 9,95 Euros :D :D

Jan-Hendrik
Definitely a good buy! :wink:

ericv

Post by ericv » 29 Jun 2009, 22:37

I just bought the histories of the 161. 183. and the 56. Ïnfanteriedivision. I am anxiously awaiting their arrival. ;)

Jan-Hendrik

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 24 Jul 2009, 21:21

Just stumbled at ZVAB about this one

Rudolf A. Haag - So war es. Berichte von und über Soldaten der Aufklärungs-Abteilung 7 der 7. Bayerischen Infanterie-Division

for an, indeed, lousy price 8-)

and must admit, it is an excellent collection of reports, really worth its money :D

Jan-Hendrik

ericv

Post by ericv » 27 Jul 2009, 09:10

They have arrived. and I must say that the 183. ID is really an excellent work! On of the best div. Histories i've come across so far. I found the 161. history, although not bad by any account, lacking in comparison. the 56th is nice to have but not really worth more than 50 euro's.

Back to reading.

trollelite

Post by trollelite » 27 Jul 2009, 13:51

If you found 56th disappointing why not put it on sale? I am sure it is sellable on ebay for 99 euro. :lol:

And could you describe more on 161th book?  I heard it is mainly based on personal experience, the same lot as "Die 71. Infanterie-Division im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939 - 1945. Gefechts- und Erlebnisberichte aus den Kämpfen der "Glückhaften Division" von Verdun bis Stalingrad, von Monte Cassino bis zum Plattensee." , is that true?

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 05 Aug 2009, 09:19

Romauld Bergner's Schlesische Infanterie: Grenadier Regiment 7. Excellently researched, crammed with information and facts - I'm surprised by just how detailed the account of the final battles in Pomerania are; most unit histories cover the final fighting poorly due to a paucity of sources. The down side is that it's very, very dry. At a cursory glance, I can't find a single first-person account. :( So that's my caveat if anyone wants to buy it. Copies are floating around for between £30 and £40.

carlpcs

Post by carlpcs » 06 Aug 2009, 04:27

Jan-Hendrik wrote:It is due to be out this summer :wink:

Just got the reprint of Kumm's Prinz-Eugen Volume, Imagethey just thrwot it out for 9,95 Euros :D :D

Jan-Hendrik
I just try to buy this Kumm's Prinz-Eugen Volume. It will give much cool to me.

I hope many of members has better exp. from this volume. So i have decide to buy this volume.

Thanks Mr. Jan - Hendrik

Mak5

Post by Mak5 » 19 Aug 2009, 14:27

Hi Guys!

Great thread, thanks for all Your effort.

I am interested in obtaining German divisional histories, but prefer photo albums (coz my German is pretty poor). I have a couple of Fedorowiczs and Trojcas pictorials and am quite happy with them.

Yesterday I bought on ebay, Dorflers reprint of Stoves Die 1. Panzerdivision 1939-1945, and now I read here that the Dorfler Bildbande are rubbish. Could someone please explain to me why? How do they compare to fedorowiczs ones?

When I have read this thread, I had the impression that the old Podzun-Pallas Verlag issues of divisional histories are better, also Podzun ones are more expensive on the bay than the reprints 8O ? Why's that?

Could You please recommend to me some good Bildbande, that are worth having?

Cheers

Luke

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 19 Aug 2009, 16:10

I don't have many of Bildbände, I'm more of a text maniac :D, but as a general rule the original versions are far superior to the Dorfler reprints (which were done pretty cheaply - the same goes for the text histories...) Cheapish paper, low standards of repro, etc, etc. Certainly not the better standard paper you get with JJF, Heimdal and the like.

The Panzerregiment Wiking book is excellent; reasonably priced at about £30-£35, and some of the text is in English.

The new Estonian Legion photobook is one of the most beautifully-produced books I've seen, captioned jointly in English and Estonian and even comes with a CD of Estonian marching tunes ( 8O), but it's not cheap.

You'll actually find that some divisional histories are quite easy to follow, even with limited knowledge of German, e.g. the excellent 20 ID (mot) series.

Mak5

Post by Mak5 » 19 Aug 2009, 18:02

Thanks Richard, this helps a lot :)

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”