Review: War Without Garlands

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Marcus

Review: War Without Garlands

Post by Marcus » 21 Sep 2005, 18:46

A review of "War Without Garlands: Barbarossa 1941/42" by Robert Kershaw has been added to the site.
http://www.axishistory.com/index.php?id=7158

/Marcus

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 21 Sep 2005, 20:09

That's a good review by Sniper1shot, and I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about the conditions on the Eastern Front during WW2. There were other campaigns that featured this level of horror (Papua, for example), but never on the same vast scale.

Richard Hargreaves

Post by Richard Hargreaves » 21 Sep 2005, 20:39

I really cannot praise this book too highly. If you want to know what it was like to fight on the Eastern Front then this gives as accurate an account as there is. So many accounts here are drawn from unpublished and untranslated sources. A must buy.

The only downside is that it's put the kibosh on my plans to write a book on the opening moves of Barbarossa!

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 23 Sep 2005, 04:27

halder wrote:. So many accounts here are drawn from unpublished and untranslated sources. A must buy.

The only downside is that it's put the kibosh on my plans to write a book on the opening moves of Barbarossa!
Indeed, there is much source material not seen elsewhere, the words of these soldiers is quite powerful.

Also, there simply are never enough well written books on the opening stages of this invasion, and I would hope Kerhshaw's book would provide inspiration rather than reluctance to add something to this. I especially liked the attention Kerhsaw paid to Brest-Litovsk.

Regards,
Dan

Benoit Douville

Post by Benoit Douville » 23 Sep 2005, 18:24

That's an excellent review by Dan Weakley. This is exactly the kind of work I like about the Eastern Front, the accounts of the Soviets fighting desperate attack against the Germans. Sounds indeed pretty interesting.

Regards

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 24 Sep 2005, 18:36

A good review of a good book!

However i thought that the quality of photos in book are less than satisfying.Many of the original photos in Signal magazines looks much better.

Cheers/Juha

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”