Review: Panzerregiment Großdeutschland im Einsatz

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
Marcus

Review: Panzerregiment Großdeutschland im Einsatz

Post by Marcus » 09 Oct 2005, 18:37

A review of "Panzerregiment Großdeutschland im Einsatz: Der Eliteverband der deutschen Panzerwaffe" by Hans J Jung has been added to the site.
http://www.axishistory.com/books/book-r ... im-einsatz

/Marcus

Marc Rikmenspoel

Post by Marc Rikmenspoel » 09 Oct 2005, 20:06

Note that this is a German edition of a book first prepared for Fedorowicz and published in English translation in 1999. I would guess that the German rights were later given to a publisher to result in this reviewed edition, no doubt based on the original pre-translation manuscript.

So, if anyone wants to read this work in English, it is easily available from any dealer that stocks Fedorowicz titles. I have to agree with Martin that the book is interesting, but far from essential. Much of the same material can be found in Spaeter's 3-volume divisional history, so that only about 1/3 of the book is Jung's personal photos and accounts, which are new.

Cult Icon

Re: Review: Panzerregiment Großdeutschland im Einsatz

Post by Cult Icon » 28 Dec 2014, 00:49

It does add materially to the subject of GD and Spaeter's series, but unfortunately less than I expected. The text is 100 pages long (good 100 pages, though) and adds a lot more figures like unit strengths during periods of time as well as additional coverage of Targos Frumos and Kursk. The 250 pictures are excellent and bring back memories of the unit history. The Spaeter series don't have photos, so these pictures offer something it doesn't have.

Objectively, the book is very much overpriced for its contents although to one interested in GD that's not an issue.

I think if one invests in learning about GD, then this book should be kept on-hand and read concurrently with Spaeter.

Jan-Hendrik

Re: Review: Panzerregiment Großdeutschland im Einsatz

Post by Jan-Hendrik » 21 Mar 2016, 17:59

Hmm.....

Dear Martin...you miss information on the initial battle's of 41/42...the Pz.Abt. GD was raised on 1th April 1942, and the book covers the Pz.Rgt. GD, starting with the pring battles in April 1942 8O

Turret numbers? Not really essential for myself.

I got the book for small money, it is a good addition to Spaeter.

From myself 4 out of 5 stars.

Jan-Hendrik

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”