Axis History Topics: Japan

Comments about the site and forum as well as announcements about them.
donsor

Axis History Topics: Japan

Postby donsor » 22 Feb 2013 01:05

I've noticed that in the list of Axis History topics, it was mostly about Germany. I thought that Japan was also a member of the Axis powers. Japan has caused as much destruction during the Pacific War as did the Germans in the Atlantic yet there was only one or two general topics about Japan and that was "Japan between 1939-45". I'm sure there are several interesting topics about Japan and the Japanese that are worth discussing about.
Last edited by Marcus Wendel on 23 Feb 2013 10:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed from "Axis History Topics"

Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff

Re: Axis History Topics

Postby Marcus Wendel » 22 Feb 2013 07:47

I am not sure what you mean? The "Japan at War 1895-1945" is one of our most active sections of the forum and it has many topics on many different aspects of Japan.

/Marcus

Andy H
Forum Staff

Postby Andy H » 22 Feb 2013 14:53

Hi

There's also WW2 in the Pacific & Asia that has plenty of discussion about this facet of WW2, while the China at War section has plenty of cross over with Japan's actions etc

I think it's worth pointing out that the AHF is always evolving to reflect the interests of our membership and ever widening areas of specialty. Thus the AHF you see today is far removed in terms of scope from the original of some 12yrs+, though its initial focus & base is not to hard too disseminate as you've noted yourself.

Regards

Andy H

donsor

Postby donsor » 22 Feb 2013 17:29

I just find it odd that in the Axis History Section, there were fourteen specific subjects involving war with Germany. The subject matters included not only the battles but interesting things about life, character and personal thngs about the enemy. I just thought it would be equally interesting to know more what it was like in Japan during the war years. I don't think that I'm doing a good job putting my point across. But if as one said there seemed to be disinterest by the membership regarding Japan, so be it.

JKernwerk

Postby JKernwerk » 22 Feb 2013 17:33

I think if there was more interest in the asian war there would be more sections.
Most of our members come from Europe so the interest in the Asian part of the war is not so big.
Greetings Jack.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Postby Andy H » 22 Feb 2013 17:59

donsor wrote:I just find it odd that in the Axis History Section, there were fourteen specific subjects involving war with Germany. The subject matters included not only the battles but interesting things about life, character and personal thngs about the enemy. I just thought it would be equally interesting to know more what it was like in Japan during the war years. I don't think that I'm doing a good job putting my point across. But if as one said there seemed to be disinterest by the membership regarding Japan, so be it.

Hi

Your correct in terms of how many sections there are dealing with Germany etc, but as I stated earlier it has evolved with new sections being added as and when sustained interest was shown or information has warranted. Back in the day I doubt there was half that number
I understand fully what your trying to say but if we just has copy sections from the German areas into Japan, Italy, Romania etc we would for the most part just end up as copies with little or no footfall/interest. One of the major hold backs on all things Japanese (and Italian for that matter) in relation to this era is the lack of access to (English) source publications both academic and popular. Also the lack of Japanese & to a lesser extent Italian members who can bridge this gap or help in finding such publications/information.
There is a large interest in Japan during this era as the number of threads/posts attest too.

Regards

Andy H

Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff

Postby Marcus Wendel » 22 Feb 2013 19:47

donsor wrote:I just find it odd that in the Axis History Section, there were fourteen specific subjects involving war with Germany. The subject matters included not only the battles but interesting things about life, character and personal thngs about the enemy. I just thought it would be equally interesting to know more what it was like in Japan during the war years. I don't think that I'm doing a good job putting my point across. But if as one said there seemed to be disinterest by the membership regarding Japan, so be it.

Ok, now I understand your point. For Japan we have found that a single section works better than splitting it into several and for Germany we made the opposite experience, we try to adapt the structure to how our members use the forum.
The existing Japan-section is the place to post all types of questions about Japan during the war years. If the discussions develop in that way we might have more sections focusing on Japan in the future.

/Marcus

donsor

Postby donsor » 23 Feb 2013 04:22

So let's try this. Establish an Axis History Pacific Section and start a firs sub-section say " Women in the Japanese Army" or, " Japanese Secret Weapons" as examples. I'm willing to ask the first question. If there are no takers, then just drop the subject matter. Or if this is too complex a task, I will take back my suggestion.

Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff

Re: Axis History Topics: Japan

Postby Marcus Wendel » 23 Feb 2013 10:32

donsor wrote:So let's try this. Establish an Axis History Pacific Section and start a firs sub-section say " Women in the Japanese Army" or, " Japanese Secret Weapons" as examples. I'm willing to ask the first question. If there are no takers, then just drop the subject matter. Or if this is too complex a task, I will take back my suggestion.

Please start the relevant topics in the existing Japan section and if we see there is a big enough interest we'll be more than happy to open additional sections on Japan. We want to see the discussions develop before starting any new sections to avoid putting a lot of effort into moving threads to a new section and then moving it back after a while due to lack of interest, I hope you understand.

/Macrus

YC Chen
Host - Allied sections

Postby YC Chen » 23 Feb 2013 17:42

Maybe we can encourage people to include more topics about Japan in sections like "artillery and fortifications" and "armored fighting vehicles"? The latter one doesn't include anything on Japanese armor at present.

P.S. I do find it a problem that threads on Siam(Thailand) literally litter all around our forum. They appear in sections like "China at war" and "Japan at war" etc and I don't think they are very appropriate there. Maybe this is just my own feeling.

Marcus Wendel
Forum Staff

Postby Marcus Wendel » 23 Feb 2013 19:15

YC Chen wrote:P.S. I do find it a problem that threads on Siam(Thailand) literally litter all around our forum. They appear in sections like "China at war" and "Japan at war" etc and I don't think they are very appropriate there. Maybe this is just my own feeling.

That is a good point, those discussions do not have a home at the moment. I think a section focusing of the Japan's allies such as Siam and Manchukuo would be a good addition as we already have a fair number of threads on those topics.

/Marcus

hisashi
Host - Japan at war

Postby hisashi » 23 Feb 2013 19:42

In fact, 'Japan at War 1895-1945' serves as 'Breaking the sound barrier on Japanese'. Many questions, unsolvable on English sources, easily resolves only by searching by Japanese google. Moreover, Fontessa and Taki offer more specialized knowledge on IJA/IJN matter than I can.

But on the other hand, Language barrier is high for us Japanese too. For example, I began to read 'Penalty Strike' by A.V.Pyl'cyn, a book on Soviet penalty battalion, in 15 Jan. After five weeks, I barely read out only 100 pages. In some topics in our section, members are eagerly posting long articles, quoting English sources. The only thing I can is to shrug. It is not welcome for me to be expected to see what is going on several sections, fully in non-Japanese languages. I must read in English, and reply in English. I am sorry to say I don't know what is going on in other sections now.

If our section has too many new topics and sorting out is needed, it is worth separating on subject. But now it does not happen. If 'Japan at War 1895-1945' is reorganized between several related topics and I must watch all topics more or less related to Japan, and if many of them are based on sources in English, I am afraid to say I resign. My own interest is on European theater and it's a pain for me to spend much time to read anything on Pacific theater in English.

Peter H

Postby Peter H » 24 Feb 2013 00:56

Expanding "Japan At War" in my view would be a waste of time and effort.Why tamper with something that is working fine so far? Eurocentrism is a fact here and I can't see the demand anyway.

donsor

Postby donsor » 24 Feb 2013 16:57

I started it so I'm ending it. I sense people being defensive about the subject matter so forget about my suggestion.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Postby Andy H » 24 Feb 2013 21:48

donsor wrote:I started it so I'm ending it. I sense people being defensive about the subject matter so forget about my suggestion.

Hi

Were not being defensive, were discussing and debating the issue that you raised. Neither Rome,Mecca or the AHF was built in a day, and your proposal(s) won't buck that trend. Some people will naturally disagree or agree outright, whilst others will ponder accordingly. Your impatience does your idea no favours by the attitude/tone of your last post. Experience has told us that previously unsought ideas have born fruit, though maybe not directly in line with the original idea.

We've acted before on the ideas of our members, the last time being just over a year ago when we set up a section dealing with Intel Ops & Espionage viewforum.php?f=128
We have today created this new section based on suggestions from the members as a home for the discussions on the intelligence operations and espionage of the Axis, Allies and neutral states.
The relevant threads from the old sections will be more here during the coming days and please help out by posting links to threads that should be moved to this new section in this thread

Regards

Andy H

Return to “Comments & Announcement about AHF”