Win "Hitler's Warrior: The Life & Wars of SS Colonel Jochen Peiper"

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
halomanuk

Re: Win "Hitler's Warrior: The Life & Wars of SS Colonel Jochen Peiper"

Post by halomanuk » 06 Feb 2015, 14:26

Bugger,i missed this !!

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 07 Feb 2015, 11:58

halomanuk wrote:Bugger,i missed this !!
We will have more of this type of competitions :D

/Marcus

halomanuk

Post by halomanuk » 09 Feb 2015, 17:02

Great...next time i will be ready !!

sandeepmukherjee196

Post by sandeepmukherjee196 » 24 Feb 2015, 14:13

Can we have another competition soon involving books, copies of German unit histories or wehrmacht war diary copies?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 24 Feb 2015, 18:52

sandeepmukherjee196 wrote:Can we have another competition soon involving books, copies of German unit histories or wehrmacht war diary copies?
There are plans for additional competitions in the forum but we will not be posting any information on those plans until it is time to start the competitions.

/Marcus

doogal

Post by doogal » 24 Mar 2015, 10:43

So Marcus asked me to give my thoughts after reading:

The book is split into four distinct parts: Peipers formative years, his experiences from joining the SS, his subsequent capture trial and imprisonment and then his post release life leading up to his death in France and the fall out from his death:
It is a very well written book and contained material which I knew little of, (mostly from 1945 onwards). The author constantly looks to the reader to form there own opinion of Peiper rather than setting him as simply a brutal Nazi fanatic.
I was surprised that at the end of the book I felt a certain amount of sympathy for Peiper and this stems I think solely from the fact that he had slid into a certain obscurity and could well have lived out his life in that way. I also felt sympathy for his Wife and children which raises questions as to the harm caused by such polarising characters on there nearest and dearest.
There is no doubt that he was part of and commanded brutal actions in various theatres of combat and was as such brutalised through these experiences. I would say as well that as a man he had no re-course to complain about his incarceration and was lucky not to be executed but rather released after serving only a decade in prison.
I think also that this book highlights the inconsistencies in the post war treatment of those men who served in the SS and who should have been held accountable, that being said accountability is an important ideal which the allies struggled with and in all fairness they could have executed far more SS soldiers post war. All in all a very good read which contains useful and interesting material and which raises many ethical questions as to how the victors of a conflict should treat the vanquished when they have transgressed those moral boundaries which we use to measure our civility.

Thank you very Much Marcus

Doogal

seaburn

Post by seaburn » 24 Mar 2015, 14:42

Thanks for sharing your insights 'Doogal' - Danny Parker's facebook page might be of interest to you also as he posts pictures and info that didn't make the final cut in the book. There is one I never saw before of Peiper as an infant in his Nannies arms. Its worth checking out !

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hitlers- ... 7267167819

He also announced that agreement has been reached to print 'Hitler's Warrior' in Dutch and Polish and that the book is in its third reprint in the English language. Which should be no surprise as the reviews have been excellent so far.

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”