Chemical Weapons Storage

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Hoch

Chemical Weapons Storage

Post by Hoch » 30 Mar 2014, 02:21

I am familiar with the amounts of chemical weapons that the Third Reich stockpiled but never deployed. I am curious just where these stockpiles were located. Has any location been released, because I'm not finding any one location, Or is it that the chemical production plants stored them?

Thanks ahead of time.

ChristopherPerrien

Re: Chemical Weapons Storage

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 30 Mar 2014, 07:41

Hoch wrote:I am familiar with the amounts of chemical weapons that the Third Reich stockpiled but never deployed. I am curious just where these stockpiles were located. Has any location been released, because I'm not finding any one location, Or is it that the chemical production plants stored them?

Thanks ahead of time.
According to Ian Hogg in "Gas" 1975, German chemical bombs and projectiles were stored very many locations by both the Wehrmacht and the Luftwaffe. IIRC, Hogg mentioned nerve gas munitions being found in 100's of ammo dumps/airbases.

These locations also stored regular munitions, so basically any German military base/ammo stockpile could have contained them. The major ones near the plants/towns that produced them can certainly be assumed to have contained them. Many of these were or are still being used by German and Nato armies as munition storage areas, which is why you don't hear much about them :milwink: . Serious Googling will find you many.

And the factories that produced them had large storage/trans-shipment areas too. The BASF factory in Ludwigshafen is a well known location.
IG Farben in Dyhernfurth was another.
I suggest researching factories of the IG Farben conglomerate(Bayer, BASF, Hoechst) to find which others produced them.There were also several pilot plants and Labs which made them.

All were dumped at sea post-war or shipped back to various allied nations for study.

stellung

Post by stellung » 31 Mar 2014, 20:19

The nerve gas shells were confiscated. The British tested nerve gas extensively, along with the Americans and Russians. It is unclear if the French acquired or destroyed what they came across. "The British confiscated 10,500 tons of tabun-loaded weapons from the Germans -- virtually the whole of the GA stockpile." Source: Gassed by Rob Evans.

Helmut0815

Post by Helmut0815 » 02 Apr 2014, 20:04

Hoch wrote:I am curious just where these stockpiles were located. Has any location been released, because I'm not finding any one location,
Here are some:

-- Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Löcknitz (agents: Lost)
-- Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Dessau (agents: Lost)
-- Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Lübbecke (agents: Tabun)
-- Luftmunitionsanstalt Frankenberg (agents: Tabun)
-- Heeres-Munitionsanstalt St. Georgen/Traunreuth (agents: Clark I and II)
-- Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Lehre (agents: Lost and Tabun, over 6,000 tons) --> http://relikte.com/lehre/index.htm
-- Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Urlau (agents: Tabun, Sarin, Phosgene, Adamsit and Lost, a total of over 10,000 tons) --> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heeresmuni ... talt_Urlau
-- Heeres-Munitionsanstalt Feucht (agents:Lost, 18 tons) --> http://www.wehrtechnikmuseum.de/Exponat ... eucht.html)
-- Heeresversuchsstelle Munster --> http://www.geschichtsspuren.de/artikel/ ... toffe.html

regards

Helmut

stellung

Post by stellung » 03 Apr 2014, 04:28

Thank you, Helmut.

gambadier

Post by gambadier » 20 Apr 2014, 09:04

Munster, AKA Munsterlager, near Soltau. This was a pre-war R&D establishment and subsequently the Bundeswehr's NBC defence research establishment.

Return to “Other Equipment”