Sea-mine made of concrete

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
leif-tore

Sea-mine made of concrete

Post by leif-tore » 18 Apr 2014, 20:34

Hello

These pictures shows what should be a sort of sea-mine, which is made of concrete.
The outer diameter is ca 80 cm, and the inner diameter is ca 50 cm.
The small hole in the top is ca 55 mm in diameter, through the steel insert.
The height is ca 170 cm.

From an eyewitness, who was a young boy during WW2, we have been told that they were made locally.
Then they were filled with something that looked like soap-bars, and then sealed in the bottom.
On the top there was a "pole" with a glassball or something similar at the end. This was the ignition for the mine.

When the mines were "set up" at the location, they were launched from a boat. They were lying on a wooden trolley with steel wheels, and was erected before they were launched.

After the war, these soap-bars were used by the locals to blast different things, from what we have been told.

Has anybody in here any information regarding this? Can someone confirm this? Pictures?

Best regards,
Leif-Tore
Attachments
Betongmine_3.jpg
Steel insert in the top of the mine
Betongmine_2.jpg
Two mines with the top up
Betongmine.jpg
The bottom opening of the mine

StefanSiverud

Re: Sea-mine made of concrete

Post by StefanSiverud » 19 Apr 2014, 22:38

Naval mines are far from my area, but looking at it, it appears to be a variation of the Küstenmine A using more concrete and less steel.
How was the wooden bottom lid held shut?

leif-tore

Re: Sea-mine made of concrete

Post by leif-tore » 20 Apr 2014, 18:40

StefanSiverud wrote: How was the wooden bottom lid held shut?
I will Ask my source if he knows/remembers.

Leif-Tore

Return to “Other Equipment”