DAK Barrel

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
RG

DAK Barrel

Post by RG » 07 Sep 2014, 09:31

I found this barrel somewhere in Tunisia, could it be property of Romel?
Attachments
beczka.jpg

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Re: DAK Barrel

Post by John G. » 07 Sep 2014, 11:49

RG,
In the sense your asking... yes, a German 200L. Barrel for aviation Gas (1941 dated)..... technically not Rommel's "himself" as this is "Luftwaffe", but "close enough"... is it a complete barrel or just the "top"?.... are there "more than one"? The barrels would be pretty impossible to display/ship...but the tops (or "text sections" of the tops) would be certianly of collector/display interest... if you were in a position to "do" such a thing... (if these are just buried/dumped somewhere....). I'm sure a nice top like the one pictured would certianly be worth a reasonable amount...but not sure about shipping & customs, etc. in Tunisia?

Neat find, especially if just "out there somewhere".... I'm sure if you knew where to search and had a good metal detector, there'd be alot of stuff in Tunisia to be found (some quite dangerous, too!)...
John G.

RG

Re: DAK Barrel

Post by RG » 07 Sep 2014, 15:26

Thanks for an answer.

Well, this barrel is still in use, I found it at the entrance to the traditional home of Berbers in Matmata city (the same place where Luke Skywalker grew up;)). The barrel is near the small cistern which provides water for the home, unfortunately I did not consider the real function. As you can see, the barrel is complete and in my opinion in quite good condition.
Attachments
P8260289.JPG

Return to “Other Equipment”