need help identifying bayonet

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
T.Greschner

need help identifying bayonet

Post by T.Greschner » 08 Sep 2015, 23:59

Im unsure if I am posting in the right forum, im new here, but I figured this would be the best place to get some info. So, recently I had recieved a bayonet from my father to add to my ww2 collection of items. Being 27 years old I assumed I knew everything my dad has in his possession yet he constantly pulls things out of storage and surprises me with little bits of history from Germany where I was born. This bayonet, from what my father can remember, is from yugoslavia and it was made to fit the german mauser. When I look on the internet I cannot find the exact model of the bayonet and most of what I find have more markings than mine has. The only marking I have are on the cross guard where it has PS 1941 then a small circle around the letters ivu. Right next to the barrel ring theres the letter T. I attatched some pictures, I look forward to any input you all may have and thank you greatly in advance.

jopaerya

Re: need help identifying bayonet

Post by jopaerya » 12 Sep 2015, 16:36

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 14 Sep 2015, 00:54

Italian WW2 Carcano bayonet, wouldn't actually fit a Mauser (the hole for the barrel is much to high on the guard for a German Mauser- ).. Yugo. story sounds true as many Italian fought, served, and died in Yugoslavia- with many joining the Partisans after Italy "changed sides"... so much Italian equipment served "all sides"...
John G.

T.Greschner

Post by T.Greschner » 14 Sep 2015, 05:36

Wow, thanks guys, it definitely has to be a Carcano bayo. I greatly appreciate the help, it bothered me not knowing details on this piece. I do have a question, I noticed a lot of these bayos have some sort of identification at the bottom of the blade, is there something unique about a bayo without an identification on the blade?

I am new to having a bayonet in my WW2 collection so I apologize if I ask something I probably should know already haha.

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 14 Sep 2015, 10:32

While many bayonet's markings are on the flat of the blade by the handle, it really just depends on the bayonet type... doesn't mean anything special or is it that unusual...

You can pick up a vintage Italian "Frog" (the belt hanger that slides on the sheath) for fairly cheap on E-Bay which would add to the collectibility and value of your bayonet.
John G.

Glad to help on any artifacts.... WW1 - WW2 (all nations) and someone should be able to help here or advise where to ask...

T.Greschner

Post by T.Greschner » 14 Sep 2015, 17:31

Thank you very much, I appreciate all the info!

Return to “Other Equipment”