Tornister radio and Panzergrenadiers

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Gunsche

Tornister radio and Panzergrenadiers

Post by Gunsche » 06 Jun 2016, 15:30

Does anyone know if panzergrenadiers mounted in halftrack used the backpack radios and at which level were they employed?

Wondering the same about panzergrenadiers riding in trucks.

Thanks in advance :D

Gunsche

Re: Tornister radio and Panzergrenadiers

Post by Gunsche » 12 Jun 2016, 21:20

The halftrack troops maybe only used the 251/3 halftrack variant?
But the truck mounted guys must have had portable radios?

Gary Kennedy

Post by Gary Kennedy » 15 Jun 2016, 16:02

There does seem to be a real deficit of info re German radio issue. I've only seen a few scraps of info, and it does depend on which period you're talking about.

The Nov 1941 Panzer Grenadier KStN tables show the 'tornisterfunktrupp' at several levels.

In the Signal Platoon of the Regimental Staff Coy there were four 'b' Troops, each of a leader, driver and radioman, all carried in a Kfz2. Total of 12 men and four cars. It's not stated but I'd assume there was one pack radio per Det.

In the Signal Platoon of the Armoured PzGren Battalion, there were two 'd' Troops, but only one vehicle, a SdKfz 250/3 that could be replaced by a SdKfz10. The Troop had two Dets again each a leader and two men, with one man acting a driver. The Signal Platoon of the Motorised PzGren Bn had the same layout, but changed halftracks for two Kfz2 cars. Again, I'm assuming there was one pack radio per three-man Det.

The Nov 1943 PzGren KStN show a few changes.

In the Armoured Regtl Staff Coy there are now three 'g' Troops, each of just an NCO and radioman. They look to be carried in other transport within the Platoon, I think one Troop per 251/3 light Radio Troop '30Mw'. In the Motorised Staff Coy it's similar to before, with four 'g' Troops, each of three men. The first and second Troops each had a four-seater car, while the third and fourth shared a single 2-ton lorry.

In the Armoured PzGren Bn there were four 'g' Troops, paired up in two SdKfz 251/3 vehicles. Each Troop had a leader and radioman, and there was a driver for the halftrack. Total 10 men and two SdKfz 251/3s. In the Motorised Bn there were only two 'g' Troops, each of a leader, driver and radioman with a four-seater car. Same format was carried over to the Apr 1944 KStN.

I've seen one list of radio sets, but only for a 1944 Panzer Brigade. That showed nine 'Satz Torn Fu Ger g' for the PzGren Bn. Another doc shows the Aug 1944 version of the Panzer Brigade PzGren Bn having (I think) four in the Bn HQ Signals Platoon plus one per Coy HQ.

Gary

Gunsche

Post by Gunsche » 18 Jun 2016, 15:46

Thank you!
Just what I was looking for :)

Return to “Other Equipment”