Luftwaffe Guiding beams

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Erik E

Luftwaffe Guiding beams

Post by Erik E » 22 Nov 2003, 18:58

Hallo!

Searching for info on the various guiding beams used by the Luftwaffe, like Knickebein, Wotan I & II, Elektra, Y-X Verfahren and all those..... :)

It doesn`t have to be too technical, but yet I need to know how they worked!

Erik

daveh

Post by daveh » 22 Nov 2003, 20:19

Knickebein:
Two radio beams were sent out. A series of dots and dashes were sent to the left and right of the desired course, when the aircraft was on course the tone was steady. It was developed from the Lorenz blind approach system and required a high degree of skill in instruement only flying.

The farther from the originating radio beams the wider the steady note area. therefore an intersecting radio beam was used to signal the start of the bomb run

X-Geräte :
Apart from a broad and narrow beam that guided the bomber in the direction of the target, three crossing beams were used, that allowed the calculation of ground speed and the timing of the bomb release. In this way blind bombing was possible. A disadvantage was that X-Geräte was a fully automated system, and more sensitive to jamming.

Y-Geräte:
The Y-Geräte navigation system again used a single directional beam. A transponder in the aircraft retransmitted the signal to the ground station, thus allowing it to calculate the distance to the target. Like X-Geräte, it was used by elite "pathfinder" crews in specially equipped aircraft.

Wotan I was a single-beam system in which the ground station transmitted two signals; one for direction and a second for ranging. The airplane picked up the beam signal and re-transmitted it back to the sender. The distance of the aircraft from the ground station was calculated from the time it took the signal to return, and the bombs were dropped automatically at the correct point.

I found Y-Geräte and wotan I described in different sources and am uncertain if they are different names for the same system. The descriptions are similar enough to suggest that they may well be the same.

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 22 Nov 2003, 21:10

Very good Dave!
Thanks alot! I guess then the Wotan II would have 2 beams?

Erik

gabriel pagliarani

Post by gabriel pagliarani » 25 Nov 2003, 16:05

daveh wrote:......
Wotan I was a single-beam system in which the ground station transmitted two signals; one for direction and a second for ranging. The airplane picked up the beam signal and re-transmitted it back to the sender. The distance of the aircraft from the ground station was calculated from the time it took the signal to return, and the bombs were dropped automatically at the correct point.....
Wotan I was the father of actual IFF active transponders (IFF= Identification Friend or Foe) and the distance was calculated by time-sharing as you well explained. Y-Gerat worked on frequence-sharing and distance was evaluated by Doppler effect. But both systems were affected by metric wave-length emissions. Too wide WL for good accuracy...

Valtoro

Re: Luftwaffe Guiding beams

Post by Valtoro » 03 Jun 2016, 22:56

Intelligence sketch from 1941 showing the arrangement for the Knickebein-station at Klepp outside Stavanger.
Attachments
Knickebein-Klepp_Stavanger.jpg

Return to “Other Equipment”