What are the Germany's "Wonder Weapons"?

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
HansvonLuck

What are the Germany's "Wonder Weapons"?

Post by HansvonLuck » 02 Aug 2005, 23:37

Germany held high hopes for these "Wonder Weapons" during the last years of war.

My question is:
Other than V1, V2 and Jet aircrafts, were there other equipments considered as "Wonder weapons"?

JonS

Post by JonS » 02 Aug 2005, 23:48

V3 cannon?
bent-barrel-assault-rifles?
IR?
last gen subs?
armies of the undead?

bryson109

Post by bryson109 » 03 Aug 2005, 00:22

Andreas

Post by Andreas » 03 Aug 2005, 00:34

Albert Kesselring was apparently referring to himself as the V3 when he arrived to take over command of the western front in 1945. :)

All the best

Andreas

HansvonLuck

Post by HansvonLuck » 03 Aug 2005, 00:43

Oh yes, thanks...

Oh and what's IR and Armies of the undead??

...And bent-barrel-assault-rifles are considered Wunderwaffes?
I've also heard that the Germans were developing Anthrax that were supposed to be massed produced by late summer '45. Is that considered as Wonder Weapons?

Anyway, thank you all and especially Bryson for those excellent links.

JonS

Post by JonS » 03 Aug 2005, 00:58

Infra Red.

AotU is a Castle Wolfenstein reference, and probably shouldn't be taken seriously. That makes it like a lot of the 'real' wonder weapons, I suppose.

bryson109

Post by bryson109 » 03 Aug 2005, 01:31

IR was real.

IR = Infrared.

The Germans developed Nachtsichtgeraten (infrared night-vision devices), and planned to mount such devices on Panther tanks, and STG 44 assult rifles.

JonS

Post by JonS » 03 Aug 2005, 01:45

n/t.

HansvonLuck

Post by HansvonLuck » 03 Aug 2005, 02:25

bryson109 wrote:IR was real.

IR = Infrared.

The Germans developed Nachtsichtgeraten (infrared night-vision devices), and planned to mount such devices on Panther tanks, and STG 44 assult rifles.
I see.. :wink:
Didn't know that IRs were considered as "Wonder weapons"... Anyway, thanks for info

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 03 Aug 2005, 17:11

HansvonLuck Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:25 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bryson109 wrote:
IR was real.

IR = Infrared.

I see..
Didn't know that IRs were considered as "Wonder weapons"...
Yes.
It is a "wonder-weapon" considering that no one had it at the time, and had it on the battlefield.
Many times I have read that the USA was the first to use Infra-red scopes during the Korean war in the 1950´s but that is just propaganda to hide the true fact that the german had invented and used it first during the last months of World War II.

Most Allied countries won´t admit that they were tecnologically far behing their enemy (nazi germany) during WW2.
But for historical reasons I have to give credit where credit is due. Which means, that even tho the Nazi guys were evil, they had some amazing weapons and were far superior in weapons/tecnological inventions. Another way to look at it is that they (the Germans) gave IN to the "dark force" and joined Darth Vader. Yes, they were evil.

But seriously speaking now,
they were pretty much ahead of their time, except those weapons were not put to good use, or were not put into use earlier on during the war.
Which is good for the rest of humanity. Good triumphed over evil... otherwise today we would all be walking around with swastikas and screaming "Heil Hitler". :roll:

Anyway, the list is long for Germanys "wonder-weapons" if you ever decide to explore into it.
So far it has taken me 15 years reserching and I´m still finding wonder-weapons they invented!
Here´s some you can start reseaching into...

- semiconductor-based infrared detectors and IR
- VTOL (vertical take-off and landing) craft
- special Synthetic fabrics
- The Jet airplane/bomber (you already know that)
- The rocket airplane (you already know that)
- V-1 , V-2 , V-3, V-4... up to V-10 long-range missile/rockets
- Guided missiles/rockets
- sound cannons
- noise cannons
- V-3 cannon
- submarine rockets
- flying wing airplane
- Stealth paint and other ferromagnetic materials for radar absorption, for airplanes and submarines
- First use of Helicopter for miltary use
- electromagnetic weapons/cannons
- anti-tank disposable weapons
- x-ray and gamma radiation weapons (known as death-ray)
- electric cannon
- sabot-shells for cannons
- tanks weighing up to 100 tons and more
- hydrokinectic power transmissions for tanks/vehivles
- gas turbines for tanks/vehicles
- snorkel breathing apparatus for submarines
- special plastics
- forerunner of modern submarine (type XXI and others)
- automatic recoiless gun/cannon for battlefield use and airplanes
- multiple rocket launcher
- schardin effect mine (explosively formed projectile)
- super 80mm cannon (dora/gustav)
- super mortars
- schrage musik
- MP-43 assault automatic carbine
- thermal radars
- thermal homing warheads
- miniature Tv cameras and monitors for guided weapons
- first TV broadcast
- special ramjets
- many special shells
- chemical weapons (tabun - Sarin - Soman)
- electron microscopy
- magnetophon sound recording and reproducing system
- special quartz clocks
blah
blah
blah

the list is just too loooooooooong to continue.
You try to find the rest.

Good luck and have fun

Cheers
MAX~thehitman

Jon XLH

Post by Jon XLH » 04 Aug 2005, 12:31

Max

I think you need to broaden your research base. Rather than going through your entire list lets just look at the first cab of the rank. IR.

The Germans had a world beating lead in chemistry. This gave them the edge in some fields such as nerve agents, which they alone had developed. However everyone had infrared, even low-tech types like Australia, Russia and Italy. (Australia and Italy had break-the-beam type harbour protection infrared and the Russians had a useable driving system in 1940 called DUDKA).

Only the Germans had infrared image forming equipment (of such quality = range – due to their chemical knowledge making the filters and layering phosphors coatings for receivers, etc) to be able to use it for weapons control for AFV’s. Everyone else had picture forming driving systems suitable for 30 – 50 meters.
The Germans knew the west had IR and specifically forbad its use on the Western front. The west knew the Germans had IR and went specifically looking for it. Had the Germans used IR Panthers on the western front the British alone had thousands of IR detectors ready to hand out.

The British were the first to mount their TABBY system on a Sten gun in June ’44 (Source PRO, dated blue print). Whereas the Germans only saw the need for small arms infrared in October ’44 at which point the VAMPIRE was designed (source: Dr Gaertner, head of WaPruf 8/I Optics, report to American interrogator’s June 1945). Neither of which saw much action. The American M3 Sniperscope was first used on Okinawa to great effect (they claim 30% of all small arms casualties due to it’s use) against the Japanese in 1945. (5 years before Korea).

I always get a laugh from the American code for their infrared, which was NAN or NANCY. The thought of all those Nancy boys blazing away!

The real lead the Germans had in infrared which got the allies hot and bothered after the war (apart from the quality of the picture forming gear) was the industrial sized production of Pb (lead) crystals which have a certain thermal detection window. Very exciting in 1945, less so now.

If you have an interest in Television you may be interested to know the first televised infrared image was by the Scottish inventor John Logie Baird in Leads in 1926. The astonished crowd at the demonstration had to be dispersed by mounted police. That was 10 years before the 1936 AEG infrared tube.

Jon

MAX_theHitMan

Post by MAX_theHitMan » 05 Aug 2005, 21:44

Many thanks for that info Jon XLH :D

Very cool of you to share that with us. :wink:

Sotka

Post by Sotka » 07 Aug 2005, 18:24

'Allied planes approaching! Launch the WASSERFALLS!'

Were wasserfalls some type of ground-to-air AA missiles or pure fantasy?

Regards,

Tuomo A.

Jurrie

Post by Jurrie » 08 Aug 2005, 11:47

@sotka,

They were ground-to-air missiles, but never deployed..

Jurrie

hchris

Post by hchris » 08 Aug 2005, 16:23

Jurrie wrote:@sotka,

They were ground-to-air missiles, but never deployed..

Jurrie
Are you sure about that? I think I can remember reading about some aircrafts that have been shot down with those things....

Return to “Other Equipment”