Favourite weapon

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
ChristopherPerrien

Re: Favourite weapon

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 09 Feb 2013, 23:08

Trackhead M2 wrote:
ChristopherPerrien wrote:Both the M2 Browning and the DshK HMG's predate the MG42/3 GPMG's and are still widely used.

Also it is arguable that a CzechZb26 or BAR descendant, is still soldiering on in the form of the FN/MAG, L7,and M240 series GPMG's.
Dear CP,
Well done. Also, doesn't the FNC and FAL series of rifles have some Browning in them too. I also recall that the M-60 LMG has components which harken back the the Lewis Gun.
Strike Swiftly,
TH-M2
Almost every firearm of today is a frigging Browning derivative of some sort, AFAIAC, :lol: , It just goes to say he was a hell of an engineer. Hard to find a gun he didn't have something to do with now.

Be it auto-pistols, auto-rifles , auto shotguns, or MG's; His designs are still considered the best , and are merely copied or borrowed from by EVERYBODY else.

fredleander

Post by fredleander » 10 Feb 2013, 02:36

Hi, Chris,
ChristopherPerrien wrote:As to the the Mg42, it is a very aestethically nice weapon to look at, and its effectiveness it was beyond repute. Today, with its reduction in the ROF, there really is no difference tween the FN/Mag and the German M3 other than mere Aesthetics. It is a prettier gun, IMO..
Well, the FN/Mag is gas-operated (like the M60) and the MG3 has a delayed blowback action. What is the ROF of the MG3 these days? I didn't know it was reduced. In my days it was faster than the MG34 and that one was around 900 rpm's. At least that is what the manual said. The MG3: 1000–1200 rpm. Of the two i would choose the '34 simply because of the single-round selector. We also had tucked away some nice tripods for the '34.
ChristopherPerrien wrote:On the same note, a .50 cal aint a bad weapon either , just in a different class , and it looks B.A.D. too, :D . It still is a fair anti-tank/armor weapon,93 years later 8-) , besides its always accepted deadly anti infantry MG role and that is something.
The .50 cal. as an anti-tank weapon is probably to go a little too far..... 8O ....Anti-APC, however....The new Raufoss multi-purpose ammo is nice. Anti-infantry it's overkill. Besides, it is seldom seen on proper tripods like we had these days. Mostly mounted on vehicles with very rudimentary grip/sighting arrangements. The Norwegian Vinghöi company made a very nice double shoulder-stock arrangement for vehicles. Otherwise it's just waste of ammo.

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book about Operation Sealion:
https://www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - an eight-book series on the Pacific War:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf

ChristopherPerrien

Post by ChristopherPerrien » 10 Feb 2013, 08:38

Well, the FN/Mag is gas-operated (like the M60) and the MG3 has a delayed blowback action. What is the ROF of the MG3 these days? I didn't know it was reduced. In my days it was faster than the MG34 and that one was around 900 rpm's. At least that is what the manual said. The MG3: 1000–1200 rpm. Of the two i would choose the '34 simply because of the single-round selector. We also had tucked away some nice tripods for the '34.
Well ,the action of both guns kinda crosses the line. The M240/FNMAG, does use recoil to lock and unlock the toggle bolt assembly along with being gas operated. It has been many years since I really was into all the details of how these weapons operated. And I personally never was able to fire an MG3. I understood the ROF of the MG3 to be 1000rpm , when I was in the US Army in the 1980's. The M240 had a high setting of 950 rpm. And that was a "fire hose" if you held the trigger down and the weapon would get away from you on an unlocked sliding pintle mount on the M1 loaders hatch in a few seconds of full auto . :milsmile:

Fun stuff I must say. Especially when you steal an extra 100-200 rounds from the ammo point, when you were only supposed to get 100, and then repeat the same for 6 tank qualification runs in one day :mil wink: . I CAUSED an ammo shortage for some the night runs of my tank company. They had to go borrow bullets from another range. I hate to think what kinda ammo shortage I could have made with an MG3 :lol:

Both used the same ammo, so I don't really see a difference tween the two; firing an extra 50 bullets would be extremely problematic, and just increase the chance of a cook-off. And I have seen the results of that from an M240 in a coax mount in an M60A3. They can/will literally "blow up" at about 2000 rounds full auto non stop, if the barrel don't melt first. I saw a staff sergeant once melt two barrels and destroy 2 M240's before the third simply blew up. Dangerous practice but fun.

Too bad I can't recall the # of parts an M240 had when "field-striped" . I think it was "6". Had to be one of the most simple, elegant, designs I have ever seen for such a deadly piece of equipment. I'd like to break down an MG3 and really compare the two. Maybe someday :)

As to the .50 Cal as an "anti-tank" weapon 8-) , yes they can still cause spall on the turrets of most modern MBT's from the side and rear aspects, and can also damage the engine compartment area's. The best of M2 AP rounds will go through about 3/4 inches of armor and will cause spall with about one of inch of armor at 500m. The 50cal keeps APC's from ever being considered "tanks" on any "real" battlefield, besides the Big Bullets that real tanks can fire , and even true tanks have to respect what a 50cal can do to them.

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 22 Mar 2015, 07:28

nebelwerferXXX wrote:LMG: Bren Gun (UK)
india, bren.jpg
india, bren.jpg (22.24 KiB) Viewed 575 times

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 22 Mar 2015, 07:32

nebelwerferXXX wrote:
german mg-34.jpg
german mg-34.jpg (22.57 KiB) Viewed 574 times