War Correspondents Question

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Heer Grun

War Correspondents Question

Post by Heer Grun » 14 Oct 2005, 00:48

Did the Germans have any war correspondents? If so, what kind of cameras did they use? I would like to find camera from that era that I would be able to take/use at reenactments.
Thanks

James

GebirgsNachHpt

Post by GebirgsNachHpt » 14 Oct 2005, 01:49

All kinds Heer, however most were professional models... Leica IId's, Rolleiflexes, Praktica's ...both 35mm for the Prak. and Leica and medium format for the rollei...

Just Search for Leica IId on ebay...you will find many modern russian Zorki copies of the Leica IId..due to them taking the factory with them at the end of the war..

All the best in your impression

Heer Grun

Post by Heer Grun » 14 Oct 2005, 02:28

Thanks, im looking for somthing durable, im a trained photographer so im sure i could figure anything out, even if its not a nice new nikon.

GebirgsNachHpt

Post by GebirgsNachHpt » 14 Oct 2005, 19:45

What branch of service have you thought of doing for your impression...once i know that i can help you with the special insignia...

Heer Grun

Post by Heer Grun » 14 Oct 2005, 20:09

I just joined a unit of the 6th. SS Nord

GebirgsNachHpt

Post by GebirgsNachHpt » 15 Oct 2005, 17:36

Ok, then i would suggest soldat.com for the insignia..he will set you up with the proper cuff title for the standarte (prop. unit) attached or near 6 SS Nord

ChrisMAg2

Post by ChrisMAg2 » 16 Oct 2005, 17:40

GebirgsNachHpt wrote:All kinds Heer, however most were professional models... Leica IId's, Rolleiflexes, Praktica's ...both 35mm for the Prak. and Leica and medium format for the rollei...
Praktika is a label of postwar east Germany or atleast it was not a major brand during 3.Reich.
Major brands of 3.Reich Germany are for 35mm:
Leica, all types of II to III with all subtypes, but all were viewfinder cameras
Contax, Contaflex, e.a

Rollei,
Voigtländer, etc.

War correspondents were mainly equipped with 35mm Leica Typ III d, f, g and K, if they did not have their own equipment. The "K" was a special edition of the "d" for very low temperatures (K = Kältefest, resistant to cold). Haredely anybody used bigger filmsizes then 35mm, except for very specialy purposes, but for sure not in the combat line.
A cooespondet for pictures (Bildberichter ->photojournalist) carried besides one or two camerabodies also interchangeble lenses. The length of focus was usually -35 or 28mm wideangle sometimes-, 50mm as a standard, 90, 120 and/or 180 for telephotos.
Flash or torchlight could also be found in their equpment case.

A correspondent team consisted usually of two (one for the photos, one for the story (Wortberichter)) men. But they could also operate individually. Besides these there also cine units with one to two men operating a 35mm cine camera (Arri, Askania...) with and without sound recorders.

For recce purposes cameras with long focal lengths (i.e. Leica + 1000mm lens ->Fernkamera) were also in use.

Heer Grun

Post by Heer Grun » 19 Oct 2005, 02:40

1000mm, wow thats more than ive ever used

Return to “Other Equipment”