Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Fake or real Luftwaffe Dagger

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general.
Hosted by John G & William Kramer.

Fake or real Luftwaffe Dagger

Postby Jarnob on 06 Sep 2010 19:33

Hi all,

i need some help identifying wether this Luftwaffe Dagger is real or not.

Makers Mark is Payl Wyersberg & Co Berlin. As far as i can find Paul Wyersberg came from Solingen - or am i wrong?
I've read about these Makers Marked Luftwaffe daggers and they all say these are fake ; how come that i can find some on the internet being sold (and bought!) for 350 pounds??

The oakleaves on the upside part of the scabbard look wrong to me.
Also the ring with the oakleaves around it has some rude molding seams on 2 sides.

Or is this just a badly made authentic dagger? Can anyone confirm?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jarnob
Netherlands

Re: Fake or real Luftwaffe Dagger

Postby Jarnob on 06 Sep 2010 19:37

More photographs:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jarnob
Netherlands

Postby John G. on 07 Sep 2010 00:57

Jarnob,
The Berlin trademark is a dead giveaway....definately a reproduction....several other tell-tale things also but the trademark is the easiest and most obvious....

As to why there being sold for 350 pds. on the internet......because a fool and his money are soon parted! Save yours....
John G.

Ref. "Reproduction? Recognition!" by F.J. Stephens....
John G.
Forum Staff
United States

Postby Jarnob on 08 Sep 2010 09:43

Thanks for the info John!
Jarnob
Netherlands

Postby scruffy on 08 Sep 2010 17:14

it might be a ww2 parts dagger -with a repop blade ,.......is the grip solid plastic? or wood core?
scruffy
United States

Return to Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria