Joief Schegerer death card, Grenadier-Regiment

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
TJames

Joief Schegerer death card, Grenadier-Regiment

Post by TJames » 20 Aug 2016, 17:30

Good Afternoon,

I recently brought a death card of a sergeant who served in the Grenadiers and was killed. I noticed there are a few abbreviations and words on the document that i can't find out the meaning of and was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on it (my German really isn't that good so I've probably missed other details too) It seems to mention he was awarded the ek1 and ek2 along with the Assault badge and maybe the Wound badge. Is it possible if it mentions where he was from? I think i read something like "Rißihub" although i'm not too sure as i'm not that similar with German towns and cities. Any help or translation is well appreciated! :milsmile:

Many Thanks,

TJames
Attachments
Josef Schegerer edit1.jpg
Josef Schegerer edit1.jpg (229.53 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

hucks216

Re: Joief Schegerer death card, Grenadier-Regiment

Post by hucks216 » 20 Aug 2016, 17:49

Here is his entry in the Volksbund Database. Looks like he was killed during the fighting at Jassy in Romania and that is where he is buried. He was awarded the Iron Cross 2nd & 1st Classes, War Merit Cross 2nd Class with Swords, Infantry Assault Badge and Black Wound Badge.
He was born in Loisnitz.
jsvb.jpg
jsvb.jpg (54.88 KiB) Viewed 1372 times

history1
Banned

Re: Josef Schegerer death card, Grenadier-Regiment

Post by history1 » 20 Aug 2016, 22:03

Hi,

below the name the text reads
" A farmers son from Ritzlhub, NCO and platoon leader in a Grenadier (Infantry) - regiment". Couldn´t find a place with this name but fallingrain points to this place, marked is also the POB Loisnitz: https://goo.gl/maps/r5y5MjATJsP2
http://www.fallingrain.com/world/GM/02/Ritzlhub.html
The text doesn´t say which Wound Badge he got, might be the black as Hucks suggested but might be a different too.
The text reads further " Participant in the Austrian and the Czech campaign, in the campaigns against Poland, France and Russia. Who found on June 2nd 1944, after 4.5 years of front service, as result of serious wounding at the Eastern Front at the age of 28 a hero's death."

TJames

Post by TJames » 22 Aug 2016, 19:32

Hi Hucks and History,

Many thanks for this help, it is really appreciated! I have been looking up on the battle and it seems he was a part of the Panzer-Grenadier-Division "Großdeutschland" which is made up of many different regiments. I was wondering if from this picture there are any clues to what regiment he was in as from his dress type i have never seen this open collar look before (or if he was a artillery detachment or signals and so on) The battle seemed a bloody one with around 45,000 casualties during the First Jassy-Kishinev offensive. Very much a forgotten front it seems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panzer-Gr ... eutschland

Many Thanks again!

TJames
Attachments
Josef Schegerer edit 2.jpg

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 22 Aug 2016, 19:38

It is possible that he belonged to GD as they did have one Grenadier-Rgt (or rather a Pz.Grenadier Rgt) as well as a Pz.Fusilier Rgt but unfortunately there just isn't enough details to be certain so he could of belonged to another regiment. There is nothing on the uniform photo that shows GD insignia.

TJames

Post by TJames » 24 Aug 2016, 15:35

Hi Hucks,

Yeah its a shame about the lack of details, I'm not really sure where i can go next with this. I'm pretty new to doing research from the other side of the wire as I've only researched Allied soldiers, I know in situations like this i can always go to the Imperial War Museum or Regiment museums as such. Do the Germans have any equivalent places for me to contact? Or i could always contact the District records of Loisnitz.

Many Thanks,

TJames

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 24 Aug 2016, 15:47

You could certainly try that avenue or you could try Deutsche Dienstelle that holds Wehrmacht service records although they do tend to only release the information to the Next of Kin - but it has been known for them to bypass that so it is worth the attempt. But it may take a month or two for them to reply. You have the date of birth on the Volksbund entry, and his forename is Josef rather than Joief.

Deutsche Dienstelle: https://www.dd-wast.de/en/home.html

history1
Banned

Re: Josef Schegerer death card, Grenadier-Regiment

Post by history1 » 24 Aug 2016, 20:07

Hi guys,

I changed already the given name in the caption of my first response, there is no "Joief" in German language. Has to agree with hucks about the uniform photo. No details/hints for the GD- division. I think they even added/retouched the EK and the ribbons later on the photography. Nothing unusual!
Need to mention that the Wast -informations are mostly liable to pay costs. I had only one case until now that there was no fee because the very minor information they provided.

TJames

Post by TJames » 25 Aug 2016, 22:07

Thanks very much for that you two! I appreciate the help a lot,I will probably look into contacting the archives and hopefully they won't mind the fact that i am not a relative. This really is all new to me especially being an Englander as we (at least where i come from) don't really speak of the Axis soldiers as having an individual life story and history, just more as one military motion and machine. Hopefully i'll be able to venture deeper into this story.

Many Thanks Again!

TJames

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”