German photos with text on the back

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
chris705

German photos with text on the back

Post by chris705 » 17 Feb 2014, 12:06

Hello all, after going through some boxes in storage I came across a plastic bag full of world war 1 & 2 photos. They are mainly all German but I have some US and British ones to.
On the Back of the German ones are pieces of paper with German text on. I've translated some and they are area photo was taken general description and I think the solider/person that took the photo. I have quite a few of Hitler, goring and Goebbles, mussolini.
Are these pictures worth anything ? and do people collect them ? Some are pretty awesome and have stamps on the back saying seized from enemy records. I'll attach some pics to see what you guys think.
Front
AnyCap13.JPG
Back
AnyCap14.JPG
Front
AnyCap7.jpg
AnyCap7.jpg (56.67 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Back
AnyCap8.jpg
AnyCap8.jpg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Attachments
AnyCap15.JPG

chris705

Re: German photos with text on the back

Post by chris705 » 17 Feb 2014, 12:11

Front
AnyCap9.jpg
AnyCap9.jpg (69.76 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Back
AnyCap10.jpg
AnyCap10.jpg (51.46 KiB) Viewed 364 times
Front
AnyCap1.jpg
Back
AnyCap2.jpg
I have around 200 pictures in total

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 17 Feb 2014, 21:52

These are "Associated Press" type prints, from various news sorces.... some appear period and some maybe more modern (1960s) reprints...(check paper for "glow" with blacklite).... back in the old days...news organizations and newspapers kept huge inventories of photographs for referance use....including Axis, Allied, and Neutral countries....which were liquidated in the 1960s/70s as WW 2 drifted into the past....

You also have some "Hoffmann proofs", from H.Hoffmann's studios (Hitlers personal photographer)...also liquidated in the 1950s/60s 10,000s of prints....

All have collectibility....subject matter and clarity make some differance, most are in the $10./20. each price range if not damaged and an ORIGINAL Print (not a later reprint)..... (As official news photos, these would have existed in great quanity at one time....but how many have survived is anyone's guess).
John G.

chris705

Post by chris705 » 17 Feb 2014, 23:02

Thanks for the info John, who would be best to approach to appraise my collection ? Would I be better off selling them as a whole or individually ?

John G.
Host - Militaria sections

Post by John G. » 18 Feb 2014, 15:44

Everything depends on your knowledge and expectations..... Of course, the only way to make "every penny" is to sell each one indivigually and wait for some newbee who has never seen a picture of "Adolf" before..... a dealer would only pay 20/30% low retail for photos (too specialized for most collectors/dealers) in most cases, unless they specialize in photos...

No restrictions on photos, so I'd sell them on eBay (or) either indivigually or in lots of "4 or 5"....(similiar subject matter?)...but there's lots of reprints and fakes there....so prices vary greatly (as do sales)....you'd have to tack pricing, etc. and be competetive...

I wouldn't know who or where to go in British Isles with these....but many BIG NAME Dealers from G.B.
Good luck.
John G.

PS... You can certianly try to "Sell" them here on the forum (and skillfully ask anyone "interested" to send you a PM)...

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”