Censored Mail ?

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
von thoma

Censored Mail ?

Post by von thoma » 09 Aug 2015, 15:58

It was censored the mail of german soldiers at the front ?
The disasters of war came to their families ?
Someone knows something...
Thank you.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

uhu

Re: Censored Mail ?

Post by uhu » 09 Aug 2015, 20:46

The U.S. censored some mail during the Cold War. But there were ways around it. Here's one example.

Airman: Dear Mom, I can't tell you where they stationed me, its a secret, but I shot a Polar Bear today.

Airman: Dear Mom, still can't tell you where I am now, but I made love to an Eskimo woman today.

Airman: Still can't tell you where I am, but the squadron doctor says I should have made love to the Polar Bear and shot that Eskimo Woman.

Dieter Zinke
In memoriam

Post by Dieter Zinke » 11 Aug 2015, 11:50

willi_klingel

Post by willi_klingel » 11 Aug 2015, 19:19

I am not an authority on the censorship methods used by the German Armed forces in WWII. All armies have censorship in times of conflict. Censorship is necessary to minimize the leak of information to the enemy. Obviously it is impossible to prevent all leaks. It would be interesting to know who performed the censorship of German soldiers mail. For example was it a function performed by army personnel or was there 'political' involvement? I am sure that someone who studies these things will be able to answer your questions. Censorship was not just confined to soldiers' mail. Keeping information from the public at large was also used as a means of censoring what the public was permitted to know. The British have their 'Official Secrets Act' which withholds information. Some items from WWII are still classified and kept from public knowledge.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”