Signatures written with pencil ?

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
ignacioosacar

Signatures written with pencil ?

Post by ignacioosacar » 22 Nov 2015, 22:31

I noticed in the film "Operation Walkiria" by tom Cruise that a mobilization order is signed by a General with a pencil. Many details were carefuly considered in that film. Years ago I sldo read that Himmler used to sign routine orders with a greenish pencil. Is that so ? I sounds strange signing with other item than a fountain pen.

Cheers

hucks216

Re: Signatures written with pencil ?

Post by hucks216 » 22 Nov 2015, 23:17

It is true that Himmler used to use a green pencil, mostly to just initial orders. Signing award citations & orders in pencil was very common. In the field officers would have had ready access to map pencils and such like.

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 23 Nov 2015, 00:48

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copying_pencil
The copying pencil served as a convenient substitute for the fountain-pen: it could be carried on one's person without need for ink or fear of leaks

wm

Post by wm » 23 Nov 2015, 19:32

They were still sold not that long ago. But they had to be moistened, usually by saliva. In other words you have to "kiss" them to use them. Without kissing the writing was barely visible.

Miss_Novotny

Post by Miss_Novotny » 27 Nov 2015, 11:49

ignacioosacar wrote:I noticed in the film "Operation Walkiria" by tom Cruise that a mobilization order is signed by a General with a pencil. Many details were carefuly considered in that film. Years ago I sldo read that Himmler used to sign routine orders with a greenish pencil. Is that so ? I sounds strange signing with other item than a fountain pen.

Cheers
In my research history I've noticed that a lot of letters, telex's, telegrams etc were written with pencil. They were mostly a crayon type pencil or what GregSingh said.

another one apart Himmler who used pencils was Heydrich.

Cheers
MN

ignacioosacar

Post by ignacioosacar » 26 Feb 2016, 15:43

Until not many years ago the military practice was covering maps with celuloid or plastic sheets. The writing on them was done with a red/blue geasy lead pencils. One colour in each end. Some were produced with an embedded string along its lenght which allowed to expose the lead without the need of a sharpener. Black or green pencils were was also used to mark other issues not related with friendly/enemy forces. It is likely then that they were used for other routine documents too. It was hard to erase them. Cotton and alcohol was used. For staff work In field conditions the expenditure of these items was as critical as the lack of fuel, water, food or ammo. I suppose that Faber Castel and others made fortunes with this.

mlongmire

Post by mlongmire » 10 Mar 2016, 02:55

Himmler often wrote or signed memos in green pencil but am wondering if anyone is familiar with and/or has come across his writing in regular lead or non colored pencil. Would be most interested if someone here can clarify or point to an example. Thanks.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”