Axis History Forum

This is an apolitical forum for discussions on the Axis nations and related topics hosted by Marcus Wendel's Axis History Factbook in cooperation with Michael Miller's Axis Biographical Research, Christoph Awender's WW2 day by dayand Christian Ankerstjerne’s Panzerworld.

Skip to content

If you found the forum useful please consider supporting us. You can also support us by buying books through the AHF Bookstore.

Auschwitz Currency???

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.

Auschwitz Currency???

Postby sylvieK4 on 26 May 2002 17:54

Most of us have seen currency that circulated in various ghettos during the Nazi period, such as the examples below from Terezin and Lodz.
An acquaintance of mine, who collects rare/ historical coins and bills, insists he has seen currency printed by the Germans for use inside the Auschwitz-Birkenau KZ. He wants to purchase some of these bills.

I say there was no currency printed for in-camp use at Auschwitz, and that if he is able to buy examples of bills purporting to have been used at that KZ, he will be throwing his money away on fakes.

Does anyone here know if there was ever currency printed for in-camp use at Auschwitz-Birkenau during the Nazi zeit, or is this alleged currency a post-war scam targeting collectors?

Terezin:

Lodz/ Litzmannstadt:

Last edited by sylvieK4 on 26 Jun 2002 15:15, edited 2 times in total.
sylvieK4
United States

Postby Dan on 26 May 2002 17:58

Good post. I've also read that there was currency in use at Auschwitz. Hope you get lots of replies.
Dan
Financial supporter
United States

Re: Auschwitz Currency???

Postby Hans on 26 May 2002 19:06

sylvieK4 wrote:Does anyone here know if there was ever currency printed for in-camp use at Auschwitz-Birkenau during the Nazi zeit, or is this alleged currency a post-war scam targeting collectors?

There were so called "Prämienscheine" in the concentration camp Auschwitz, they read something like:

"Prämienschein über 1 RM
Konzentrationslager Auschwitz
[stamp + prisoner number]"

but I've no idea which group of prisoner got these and which camp (most likely Auschwitz I, the main camp, I guess), and what they could to do with them.
The one I remember had a prisoner number that was given to a prisoner from a Gestapo transport, not from Jewish transport.

I hope this helps your acquaint.

Hans
Hans
Germany

Postby Kim on 28 May 2002 22:28

Yes,there was apparently"lagergeld at some camps .Small denomination and non-negotiable outside the camp to render it useless in case of escape. Here is an article about it from the Barnes review http://iolaos.com/scriptorium/english/a ... money.html
Here are some pictures
http://www.reptiles1.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/powcamps.html
A search on"concentration camp money"will give you links to paper money collecting sites. Cheers, Kim
Kim
Financial supporter
United States

Postby David E M on 29 May 2002 08:41

Excellent post Kim, Killed anything I was going to write. However, do you know of any Lagergeld from Auschwitz?.
cheers, David.
David E M
Australia

Postby Starinov on 29 May 2002 15:09

I don't know if Wieslaw Kielar wrote about Auschwitz currency in his memoirs "Anus Mundi". He was an early immate from 1940 to 1945 with the number 728. So if you have a copy of his book, try to find something. I can't help you there: I lost mine :(
Starinov
Canada

Postby Kim on 29 May 2002 21:41

I checked in the "Standard Guide to World Paper Money" both General Issues and Special Issues volumes by Albert Pick. Lots of obscure German military scrip,railroad currency,etc,etc but NO lagergeld of any sort. Pick also wrote,however,"Das Lagergeld der Konzentrationslager und D.P. Lager 1933-1947" Another book which may tell the answer of the Auschwitz currency question. is "Prisoner of War and Concentration Camp Money" by Lance K. Campbell. Best wishes, Kim
Kim
Financial supporter
United States

Re: Auschwitz Currency???

Postby Aleksei on 29 May 2002 22:58

[quote="sylvieK4"]Most of us have seen currency that circulated in various ghettos during the Nazi period, such as the examples below from Terezin and Lodz.
An acquaintance of mine, who collects rare/ historical coins and bills, insists he has seen currency printed by the Germans for use inside the Auschwitz-Birkenau KZ. He wants to purchase some of these bills.

Hello,

Not only money, but PostOffice (postcard service), own courts, punishment systems and so called vouchers too ...

Thank you,

Aleksei.
Aleksei
Russian Federation

To Akeksei

Postby Kim on 30 May 2002 06:44

Spaceba,ochen horosho. Sorry no Cyrylic on my keyboard,and I learn no Russian for 25 years. Do you have information of the Auschwitz camp money? Kum
Kim
Financial supporter
United States

Re: To Akeksei

Postby Aleksei on 30 May 2002 18:42

Kim wrote:Spaceba,ochen horosho. Sorry no Cyrylic on my keyboard,and I learn no Russian for 25 years. Do you have information of the Auschwitz camp money? Kum

Hello,

Type key words "PostCards from Auschwitz" into CGI interface of any internet-searching machine you to preffer.

While find some examples of them - look at post-stamp detail (you may inspect also the content into them. Sometimes it is amazing.)

You will definitely find traces of digits and abbrevation RM or something like that.

Any more ?

Thank you.
Aleksei
Russian Federation

Postby Benjamin Fanjoy on 30 May 2002 19:15

A friend of mind knows an Aushwitz survivor , and he said they did have currancy, he still has a few bills, I can post pics if you guys wanna see them?
Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned
United States

Postby Aleksei on 30 May 2002 19:26

.:MarK_III:. wrote:A friend of mind knows an Aushwitz survivor , and he said they did have currancy, he still has a few bills, I can post pics if you guys wanna see them?

Hello,

I do, i do, i do, i do .....

Thank you.

I waiting while ....
Aleksei
Russian Federation

Postby sylvieK4 on 30 May 2002 20:40

Yes, Mark, please post the pictures of the Auschwitz currency.

Is the survivor your friend knows Jewish? Did he or she actually use this currency?

What was purchased with it at Auschwitz, and who actually accepted these bills (e.g did the guards or fellow prisoners sell items to prisoners in exchange for the currency)?

Was the currency used by Jewish prisoners, or only non-Jewish?

Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Thanks again, Mark.
sylvieK4
United States

Postby Benjamin Fanjoy on 31 May 2002 02:37

I will talk to the gentlemen on saturday and ask him all your questions, and ask his permission to post his currancy.
Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned
United States

Postby sylvieK4 on 31 May 2002 14:40

Thank you, Mark!
sylvieK4
United States

Next

Return to Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items