Auschwitz Currency???

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 26 Jul 2002, 16:26

Excellent! Thanks for the posts and pictures, Luca.

I am with David on this one. Does anyone know specifically what these notes were used to purchase, and where in the camp they were used?

And to add a few more questions: Who was eligible to receive this currency in Auschwitz? SS personnel? German criminals? KAPOs ?

More specifically, did Jewish prisoners receive and "spend" these notes, or were they only for non-Jewish internees?

Thanks

Charles Bunch

Re: Auschwitz Currency !!!!!!!

Post by Charles Bunch » 26 Jul 2002, 17:55

Aleksei2 wrote:
Charles Bunch wrote:
sylvieK4 wrote: ......
there are numerous other camps that issued currency, although no information exists about the currency. Other camps that had money issues included: Auschwitz, Bohlen, Dachau, Flossenburg, Grini, Gross-Rosen, Haselhorst, Neuengamme, Ravensbruck, Sachsenhausen, and Stutthof.

**************note_this***********
In the spring of 1945, as the Allies drew closer, the Nazis began to destroy records of their crimes, including papers relating to the development of camp monetary systems. The result was that few bills and even fewer documents survived, in effect creating numismatic rarities. Although this does not preclude the possibility that information might surface in the future, it is probable that our knowledge will grow slowly, if at all.

Thank you for infor.

But I doubt validity of such kind of "fundamental explanations". Why ? - Because it is NOT an EXPLANATION, but some kind of trivial attempt of TRANSPOSITION (translation, shift, covering) ONE FACT to another one's [or even an arrays of "facts"] with addition of new
groundless statements - like this " .....although no information exists about the currency".

So, sorry - ones again "... girls, girls, girls!" Oh, Maaaaa! Sorry! - " ... words, words, words".

And Again: - " ....The result was that few bills and even fewer documents survived, in effect creating numismatic rarities."

So, - we just waiting for this "numismatic rarities", because it [seems to me] could change our knowledge about dark side of WW2 events.

So, - I am still waiting.

Thank you.
You may wait all you want, but since your concerns are not clear, I'm not sure what you're waiting for. Nothing will ever change a desire to disbelieve.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 26 Jul 2002, 18:18

Just for the sake of clarity, the quote in the post of Charles Bunch is erroneously attributed to me.

Apparently Aleksei attributed a quote from an article to Mr. Bunch and myself, but it is not anything I had written.

I am satisfied with all the serious posts made here, and very pleased with the wealth of information provided.

Luca

Post by Luca » 28 Jul 2002, 13:45

Dear Members,
concern the use of the notes some explanations is in the old email of the precious Phil...
Since this was an extermination camp, very few of the notes were used by prisoners, especially the Jews.
Most of these notes were used by the SS guards with a select few going to privileged prisoners.
Today is arrived another email that i add:

Dear Luca!
Attached scan shows a similar note from KZ-Flossenbürg. Be aware the same print mark in lower left, except for month "8.44" (August 1944) for the Auschwitz one, and "11.44" (November 1944) for the Flossenbürg. According to the mentioned Pick and Siemsen this type were used in Auschwitz, Flossenbürg and Ravensbrück, but most other KZs also used such "Lagergeld" as payment to Capos and "Funktionshäftlinge" (prisoners working in the administration of the camp). Most KZs also had a cantina in one or another form, and some of them even a brothel, where the money could be spent (if there were something to be bought or some service).
Regards Erik L.

Im desolated but the pic (tif) that i ve recived no appare.
I use ACDS for open the pic that is good.
My son that know pc problems say that the sender ve make some mistake.
If i remeber well i ve the same note,but will hard search in the big confusion of my bad home.
If search no will good i will disturb the precious Erik.
Best Regards
Luca

David E M

Post by David E M » 28 Jul 2002, 14:15

Luca, Mille gratzie, we have all appreciated your posts here,you have answered something a lot of us have been waiting for, and I thank you for the effort you have made.
Mi Dispiace, Ho dimenticato tutto il mio Italiano, pero, ringratziatato per il suo auito.
Tanti Auguro.
david.
sorry for the spelling.

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 28 Jul 2002, 14:33

Thank you so much, Luca, and many thanks to your friends, as well, for providing that information! Excellent images, too.

Luca

Post by Luca » 28 Jul 2002, 16:30

Dear Memebers,
thank You a lot for the gently comments.
I will send Yours thanks to my friends.
Im very happy too cause i ve great interest concern KL and ghetto items.
Im really surprised cause i ve take the Flossemburg note in only half hours.
Incredible!
Is around 1 year that i search some philatelic pieces from Teresin in my house but,for the moment,no appare.
Searching for Flossemburg note i ve dicovered others 2 notes.
1 is form Buchenwald and ve a little handwrite in side back.I hope that some Members can traslate for me.
Second is from Mittelbau and i search the traslation of the side back.
This last i show in front side too cause (if i remeber well) is very no common...or maybe i no remeber well?
Bah! In any case maybe some Member ve interest for look...or maybe not?.... 8O
So...the pics.
Thank You very much!
Luca

PS = the enlarge of the notes re 300. For the handwrite 500.
Attachments
note mittelbau b.jpg
note mittelbau b.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
note mittelbau f.jpg
note mittelbau f.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
buchenwald note.jpg
buchenwald note.jpg (14.25 KiB) Viewed 1056 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 28 Jul 2002, 17:11

Attachments
note flossemburg.jpg
note flossemburg.jpg (54.83 KiB) Viewed 1050 times

sylvieK4

Post by sylvieK4 » 28 Jul 2002, 17:13

Yes, thank you. Do you have any Ghetto coins you can show us?

If you have any postal stamps from any of the ghettos, can you post those too in the "Documents" section of the forum? I'd be interested to see ghetto stamps there.

Luca

Post by Luca » 28 Jul 2002, 17:19

David E M wrote:Luca, Mille gratzie, we have all appreciated your posts here,you have answered something a lot of us have been waiting for, and I thank you for the effort you have made.
Mi Dispiace, Ho dimenticato tutto il mio Italiano, pero, ringratziatato per il suo auito.
Tanti Auguro.
david.
sorry for the spelling.
Dear David,
grazie per gli auguri!
Your Italian is better that my English!!! :D
with friendly
Luca

Luca

Post by Luca » 28 Jul 2002, 18:07

sylvieK4 wrote:Yes, thank you. Do you have any Ghetto coins you can show us?

If you have any postal stamps from any of the ghettos, can you post those too in the "Documents" section of the forum? I'd be interested to see ghetto stamps there.
Ok, but i want a kiss! :P
:lol:

So,
concern the coin is possible look pieces from Litzmannstadt in several places.
If i remeber well i ve look some pieces in a page show here,in Your forum.
Another pic in old email maybe in document section (with an old Jew book)
In the last years much coins appare in the market but i ve great suspects for this, as others metal pieces (no coin) concern Ghettos.
I no ve 1 piece.

Concern Litzmannstadt stamp i no ve suspects, i can confirm that a very great numbers of fakes re around the globus. (stamps,proof,variety, probedruck and so,maybe signed but the sign is fake too)And some original very interesting pieces.
I no ve 1 piece and in general no ve much postal documents from this ghetto.
From Terezin i ve several pieces around in my home.
I can show for You without problem but..what You want look and why?
For example, a simple pic of the stamp or a very big enlargement for can look if Yours pieces re good or not?... used or not?..and so...
Exemple= I ve some stamps in the formulary that was send to the parents and formulary without stamps (cause was necessery go in the central office in person for take the stamp,where Herr Catz sometime put a cancel on the formulary, same day no was black or red but purple color, and exsist differents types of formulary...and so.
In any case stamps was only used for send parcel, very different and long is the situation concern the postal documents from and to Teresin, and different again from the small fortess and so....
Others different situations i can show concern Jew post.
In concrete i vent idea concern the system for help You,please,inform me and,if i can,i will show for You.
with friendly
Luca

PS=the "Document" section where You want look the pics re this =
Documents, Postcards & Other Paper Items ?

Aleksei2

First Q's on KZ-money

Post by Aleksei2 » 29 Jul 2002, 00:34

Luca wrote:....
Hello,Luca

Thank you for interesting infor.

While viewing pics of KZ-money you have post - some
additional questions arosen, but due to luck of time
now I post only few of them "embedded" inside foto fragments.

Next bunch of Q on KZ-money will follow a little bit later.

Thank you.

pic1 - vizible backside text ?

pic2. - how many KZ-money had been published in 1939-1945 ?

pic3. - banknote marking detail

pic4. - banknote handwritten detail. Does it possible to see whole image for
buchenwald note ?

pic5. - banknote marking detail again.
Attachments
pic3.jpg
pic3.jpg (36.29 KiB) Viewed 988 times
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (17.62 KiB) Viewed 987 times
pic1.jpg
pic1.jpg (84.15 KiB) Viewed 985 times

Aleksei2

GUI - errror? Re: First Q's on KZ-money (add on)

Post by Aleksei2 » 29 Jul 2002, 00:41

Aleksei2 wrote:
Luca wrote:....
Hello,Luca

Thank you for interesting infor.

While viewing pics of KZ-money you have post - some
additional questions arosen, but due to luck of time
now I post only few of them "embedded" inside foto fragments.

Next bunch of Q on KZ-money will follow a little bit later.

Thank you.

pic4. - banknote handwritten detail. Does it possible to see whole image for
buchenwald note ?

pic5. - banknote marking detail again.
Attachments
pic5.jpg
pic5.jpg (27.96 KiB) Viewed 977 times
pic4.jpg
pic4.jpg (38.47 KiB) Viewed 976 times

Luca

Post by Luca » 29 Jul 2002, 01:56

Dear Aleksei2,
im not expert concern notes and im very sad cause i vent good documentation concern this but i hope that i or some others can reply to Yours future questions.
So..
Pic1 = nothing in back side, if You want i will scan for You the backside.

Pic2 = Flossemburg open 3 may 1938 to 23 April 1945 with around 110.000 prisoners during all the time (with subcamps).No idea how much notes where produced for this camp and where.This note was produced in 1 million piece.No idea if the original proyect was realised or if all the pieces was consigned or how much was in effect used.I SUPPOSE that for this note only 1 serie was produced.

Pic3 = 1 the detail of the cancel is no available cause the pic was take from a site in the net from my friend.
2 D.St i don't know what is this but i SUPPOSE that mean Dienst stempel or Dienstelle stempel or so
3 the official number of pieces was half million
KL/101 - 8.44/500.000 i think, cause similar informations im others officials print material during TR mean Konzentrationlager/code number of the tisk - date of the emission / number of pieces issued

Pic4 = pic of the note will arrive in my next email
-- i think no but i will control better, is in any case is possible that the writer was in post war for example sign of collector or expertise sign or the list of supermarket or store or so.Maybe undersend what is write can help us for understend better......what you think is write?

Pic5 =Cause i ve discovery this note only this morning in my home i ve start a little search from my friends for better informations,in any case i think:
1 Yes, is serial number,more complicated work but when is listing the receptient (the man that take in office some notes) i think is possible know all the money moviments into the camp or so, is only an idea.
2 i SUPPOSE L/0663 mean Lager or Lagergeld/ code number

Please, inform me if You ve undersend my poor english.
Im waiting for Your next questions.
Best Regards
Luca

Aleksei2

Post by Aleksei2 » 29 Jul 2002, 12:23

Luca wrote:Dear Aleksei2,
im not expert concern notes and im very sad cause i vent good documentation concern this but i hope that i or some others can reply to Yours future questions.

Please, inform me if You ve undersend my poor english.
Im waiting for Your next questions.
Best Regards
Luca

Hello, Luca

Thank you for additional infor.

May I ask you to scan and send me high res. copy for KZ-notes you publised (and my be you have too ...) avers&revers side.

If it is possible to you, please scan them with 200dpi (not higher 300dpi, full color-mode, not TIFF, but JPEG with filter 8 if you use Photoshop for scanning).

My public mail - [[email protected]]

Please, any mail attachment (stand alole pic, zip, rar or selfextracted archives) must never exedeed 1 MegaBytes.

Thank you.

My next Qs - later this day.

Thank you.

PS. Marcus, I am sorry for posting mail for private comm.

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”