How to tell if photograph are genuine - based on the paper

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
Daniel L

Post by Daniel L » 04 Feb 2004, 01:10

Thank you very much Kahn! Do you know when this system ceased to exist?

Best regards/ Daniel

Tracer

Post by Tracer » 04 Apr 2004, 09:51

thanks to all who contributed on this thread..

I saved myself $15.00 by not buying 5 repros/fakes at an Antique shop today..

pity..

They were great portraits of some officers in various services..

-Tracer

Tracer

Beware.. "avegga" on ebay

Post by Tracer » 08 Apr 2004, 09:46

Beware.. "avegga" on ebay

among many photos he has these 4 for sale..

I have a book with the upper left photo in it..

and he uses the same photo of the backside for each auction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2237303791

-cheers

Kimmo

Post by Kimmo » 08 Apr 2004, 11:13

Damn it!

Tracer, I have this photo:

http://www.silentwall.com/Equipment59.html

And the backside contains the samekind of writing and a samekind of stamping and a numbers with a red pencil!!

I didn't buy that picture from ebay, it's aquired from Finland and the edges are not similar with those pictures that you have.

Have you done the black light test to those pictures? I have to do that during the weekend.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 08 Apr 2004, 14:11

The photos like those posted by Tracer are all fake. There are three main points of identification:
1 edges
2 writing on the back
3 colour

Any photo which have one or two is fake. Any photo which have only three should be treated with suspesion

Christian

Kimmo

Post by Kimmo » 08 Apr 2004, 14:27

I have to check with the blacklight, because my photo is missing the edges, although the markings on the back are the same, with only the number is different.

Thankfully I didn't pay too much for that picture.

buchi

question

Post by buchi » 26 Apr 2004, 15:53

So, pictures on ridax, mimosa and leonar paper are always orginal ones?

Greetings

Brecht

buchi

fake or real?

Post by buchi » 26 Apr 2004, 18:18

What do you guys think of this one? (don't mind the green line)
Attachments
fallschirm.jpg
fallschirm.jpg (17.69 KiB) Viewed 8680 times

buchi

Post by buchi » 26 Apr 2004, 18:19

another one
Attachments
krete.jpg
krete.jpg (12.99 KiB) Viewed 8678 times

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Re: fake or real?

Post by Christoph Awender » 26 Apr 2004, 19:15

buchi wrote:What do you guys think of this one? (don't mind the green line)
Impossible to judge from the two images.

\Christoph

buchi

Post by buchi » 26 Apr 2004, 19:24

The first picture is on Leonar paper.
Is this a guarantee that's is real?

Greetings

Brecht

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Re: ..

Post by Christoph Awender » 26 Apr 2004, 19:30

buchi wrote:The first picture is on Leonar paper.
Is this a guarantee that's is real?

Greetings

Brecht
It depends on what you mean by "real". Just that it says “Leonar” on the back doesn´t prrof anything unless you know how a genuine “Leonar” paper looks and feels.

\Christoph

Mysteron

Post by Mysteron » 01 Nov 2004, 06:05

Maybe I am wrong, but showing pics with a large green line through them (and scanned to a much smaller size than the originals) makes it look like you want us to give you our opinion about their veracity, so that you can then sell them for a tidy profit!

I do mind the green line.
It says "I don't want anyone having even a scanned copy of these pics for their collections", or "I don't share...I only sell!"

Why don't you post the pics without reducing the size and then defacing them with Photoshop first, then ask our opinion. I might be more inclined to answer. My fiance is a professional photographer.

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Post by Christoph Awender » 01 Nov 2004, 06:43

Mysteron wrote:
Maybe I am wrong, but showing pics with a large green line through them (and scanned to a much smaller size than the originals) makes it look like you want us to give you our opinion about their veracity, so that you can then sell them for a tidy profit!

I do mind the green line.
It says "I don't want anyone having even a scanned copy of these pics for their collections", or "I don't share...I only sell!"

Why don't you post the pics without reducing the size and then defacing them with Photoshop first, then ask our opinion. I might be more inclined to answer. My fiance is a professional photographer.
Why the aggressive tone?? Selling photos is no crime, also he didn´t say anything that he wants to sell them or that they even belong to him.
The green line is in my oppinion also a legitimate tool preventing people just to scan through the web and "collect" everything they can get. Your reaction makes me believe that you do that(?) Personally I don´t like people to just copy and paste photos which took me a day trip to a veteran, fleamarket or archive, cost me money etc...
So I also protect them with markings. Nothing wrong with that again. So why so aggressive?

\Christoph

Mysteron

Post by Mysteron » 01 Nov 2004, 07:15

Christoph Awender wrote:
Mysteron wrote:
Maybe I am wrong, but showing pics with a large green line through them (and scanned to a much smaller size than the originals) makes it look like you want us to give you our opinion about their veracity, so that you can then sell them for a tidy profit! [.......]
Why the aggressive tone?? Selling photos is no crime, also he didn´t say anything that he wants to sell them or that they even belong to him.
The green line is in my oppinion also a legitimate tool preventing people just to scan through the web and "collect" everything they can get. Your reaction makes me believe that you do that(?) Personally I don´t like people to just copy and paste photos which took me a day trip to a veteran, fleamarket or archive, cost me money etc...
So I also protect them with markings. Nothing wrong with that again. So why so aggressive?

\Christoph
Because it's our collective history that is being sold to private collections. Right now in Canada we are fighting to prevent a Victoria Cross from being sold to a foreign private collector for $500,000 ... rather than going to our national museum where it belongs. The vets are horrified, and rightly so, that the medal that brave young soldier saved many lives and nearly died to earn will end up in someones private collection. I'll scan the article if I have time once my scanner is fixed.

Of course I sometimes copy and paste pics from online! Are you claiming you don't? Somehow I doubt that.
But I also talk with veterans, go to second hand stores etc and try to find these war mementos myself. If I ever obtained anything of genuine historical value it would go right to a museum, like our Wartime Heritage Museum in Ottawa.
As for my collection, I prefer to collect replicas or copies of pics. Unlike some, I actually have respect for the men who fought and died on both sides and don't think their personal items should be sold on eBay to the highest bidder.
You may be a Moderator, but that doesn't make your opinion any more valid than mine. It just means you've been here longer.
Donate some of your "protect them with markings" pics to Wartime Heritage Museum before you judge me.
Selling things like photos is no crime, true. But it's not exactly honourable either.
Think about that before you react next time.

David (Mysteron)

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”