The reason for German Death Cards???

Discussions on Axis documents, postcards, posters and other paper items as well as feldpost numbers.
SAJ

The reason for German Death Cards???

Post by SAJ » 09 Feb 2005, 06:14

Hello all, I have recently become interested in the German Death cards. I would like to know what their actual purpose was for. I have heard that these cards were give out to family members when a member of the German military was killed. Is this true, and if not, is there anymore information that someone can provide about these cards.
Thank You all!!!

Christoph Awender
Forum Staff

Re: The reason for German Death Cards???

Post by Christoph Awender » 09 Feb 2005, 06:36

SAJ wrote:Hello all, I have recently become interested in the German Death cards. I would like to know what their actual purpose was for. I have heard that these cards were give out to family members when a member of the German military was killed. Is this true, and if not, is there anymore information that someone can provide about these cards.
Thank You all!!!
Yes, these cards were and still are given out to the visitors of the funeral and relatives of the person. It is a very long tradition.

\Christoph

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 09 Feb 2005, 21:27

Just to make it clear, do allow me to add that the use of death cards was and is by no means limited to commemorate deceased military personnel; as Christoph said, they are a common part of the funerary culture and tradition here.

(Assistance in choosing the design and text of a death card and ordering the required quantities from print businesses on behalf of the deceased's family is a standard part of the services rendered by German funeral parlors; the military has nothing to do with it.)

SAJ

Thanks

Post by SAJ » 10 Feb 2005, 02:22

Thanks for all of the help!!!!

Erich

Post by Erich » 10 Feb 2005, 17:58

thought I would throw one out as an example..........comments ?
Attachments
wintersteigerludwig.jpg
wintersteigerludwig.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 11198 times

CHRISCHA

Post by CHRISCHA » 10 Feb 2005, 21:13

That looks like an early uniform.

What was the name of the naval base/installation at Bordeux?

buchi

Post by buchi » 10 Apr 2005, 11:14

Hello all,

Nice card! It has been a while since I visited this forum.
Here are some of my cards:
First one is a member of the handschar-division
Attachments
ss helmet!!!.jpg
ss helmet!!!.jpg (91.9 KiB) Viewed 11074 times

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 10 Apr 2005, 12:34

As usual Buchi you bring out some nice ones to start. I have found it hard to find cards with Anti- Partisan Badge on it...very nice!!!

Erich

Post by Erich » 10 Apr 2005, 15:36

great card Buchi ! here is another KM soldier lost in the Afrikan theater 1942
Attachments
wartnerfritz.jpg
wartnerfritz.jpg (60.67 KiB) Viewed 11048 times

Erich

Post by Erich » 10 Apr 2005, 15:39

another KM loss this time in December of 1943
Attachments
ehrlwilhelm.jpg
ehrlwilhelm.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 11046 times

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 10 Apr 2005, 16:41

ok - I guess should show some examples. As some of you maybe aware that my book on this subject will be ready in early 2006 (Buchi - I know you already know this) and here are some examples of my collection from over the years.

First one..... This card is often found as a fake but this original shows the FJ soldier awarded with three Panzervernichtabz. (tank destruction Badges), Kreta and Afrika Cuff Titles and a few other awards.

Second one.....This soldier has been awarded the Cholm shield. He is one of only 5000 recipients of this award.

This one is for Erich who seems to like KM cards.....

Image Image

Last one for now (A sneak preview of the front cover of the book!!!) .....A Hauptmann killed within the first weeks of the war. This death card comes in the form of a postcard.......

Enjoy........

Erich

Post by Erich » 10 Apr 2005, 18:03

good show Rev, and best wishes for a very successful book. Yes I am mostly interested in KM personell. Hre is a marine artilliere man
Attachments
hacklhubert.jpg
hacklhubert.jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 11033 times

buchi

one espcecially for Erich ;-)

Post by buchi » 11 Apr 2005, 12:50

I'm not a big collector of KM cards, I only have a few.
This one you will certainly like Erich.
It's a card to Heinrich Jürgens, a maschinenmaat on a U-boot. He's wearing the U boat combat clasp and the u-boat abzeichen. Also a he was kia in february 1945!
Attachments
Scannen0014.jpg
Scannen0014.jpg (89.92 KiB) Viewed 11012 times

Erich

Post by Erich » 11 Apr 2005, 20:00

another fine card Buchi and you guys are picking up some wonderful pieces especially with pics of the fallen with awards on the tunic. here is one which is a bit strange as the card mentions a regiment instead of a Abteilung
Attachments
wilhelm.jpg
wilhelm.jpg (31.27 KiB) Viewed 10991 times

Revellations

Post by Revellations » 12 Apr 2005, 01:50

Erich,

Sorry to say that a card that mentions a Regiment is just as common as it mentioning an Abteilung (Battalion). You will also get cards that say division as well (See Buchi's SS Card above). Less common are the cards that give you unit numbers and/or names. Still found in abundant numbers they are just less common then saying Regt/Abt/Div etc. Of course this is all in my book....Erich you will have to get a copy :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol:

I thought I would add a few more but will leave it there as I am starting to use some of my good examples from my book. I am happy to continue viewing this post and making comment or adding thoughts as we go along.

Ok - the first one has to be a KM for Erich. Went through a few to find this one for you... do you notice the date of death. Can you think of what ship he might have belonged to???

One thing I have noticed about this post is that we have forgotten our brethren in the air (Luftwaffe). So here is an example of an extremely decorated individual who saw quite a bit of combat over the years........

Time to throw in a Knights Cross Card......looks like the same printer made this card as well as Buchi's last example. (See he has used the same template for both cards)....

Lucky last. I have put in a village death card. These were printed and updated during the war and would be found at the village church as a memorial to those who had fallen during the war. They sometimes were posted on the village notice board if they had one.

Well I hope you liked my examples. Please keep your examples coming......

Return to “Axis Documents, Feldpost numbers, Postcards & Other Paper Items”