Fury: New WW2 film about U.S. tank crew coming in 2014

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
StefanSiverud

Re: Fury: New WW2 film about U.S. tank crew coming in 2014

Post by StefanSiverud » 23 Nov 2014, 09:45

Regarding turrets being blown off tanks, it's far from impossible and has been caught on film many times. The calibre of the gun hitting the tank does not matter, it's the ammunition exploding inside the tank that sends it flying.

StefanSiverud

Post by StefanSiverud » 01 Dec 2014, 22:46

SPOILERS BELOW!
Now that I've seen the movie, I can say even my low expectations were far too optimistic. What utter garbage! The Hollywood clichés just get more frequent as the film passes, and the final battle is almost unbearably ridiculous. Just to mention two examples:

In spite of several of the singing "elite" SS-men carrying Panzerfauste, none of them are fired. Instead, an additional two boxes of four each are brought in, though only three are fired. The first two miss from 15-25 metres, the third kills the loader. After that the crew is given a break to mourn their dead comrade, and when the crew opens up with the .30 cals again, the SS-men return fire with MG-42's and hand grenades.

Most ridiculously, the SS-men were nice enough to use 20 second delay fuzes for their Stielhandgranate, allowing the protagonist ample time - even getting permission to leave - to escape the tank before the explosion.

Some credit should still be given to the props and special effects departments, their work is the only reason for watching the movie.

Leerhöy

Post by Leerhöy » 02 Dec 2014, 14:58

Agreed....
Interested in anything regarding 21.Pz.Div in Normandy, as well as Opel Olympia OL38 and DKW NZ 350-I in general.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Dec 2014, 15:54

It was a fun movie if you kept in mind that it was a movie and not a docu. I liked the way Wardaddy let his guys go on for a while and then yanked their chain hard when he'd had enough.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

Rittmeister

Post by Rittmeister » 03 Dec 2014, 19:09

I dont like when the germans missed with PAK -they never missed in that range (almost) ,I think the best scenes are when Mr.Pitt fires a captured stg44(lovely),its typical bollywood movie to kill all the bad germans at the end(unbelivible)

Sauerteig

Post by Sauerteig » 08 Dec 2014, 20:30

My question is this: should I watch this just to get a more perfect understanding as to how full of bullsh*t Hollywood is, or just skip it altogether. Perhaps a few select scenes will suffice?

Eques

Fury

Post by Eques » 09 Dec 2014, 04:26

This is probably the best recent movie about tanks in WWII, unfortunately.

Mil-tech Bard

Post by Mil-tech Bard » 09 Dec 2014, 05:12

Both the final combat scene with Fury and a small scene earlier with Brad Pitt looking to the sky seeing American bomber and German fighter contrails are straight from Belton Cooper's book "DEATH TRAPS -- The Survival of an American Armored division in World War II"

In the hard back copy of DEATH TRAPS that I have, Fury's final combat is straight from pages 148 and 149, and it was set in fighting around "Hastenrath & Scherpenseel" in 1944 right down to the 76mm HE ricochet.

The contrail scene was on pages 180-to-182 and involved German rocket firing fighters versus B-17's.

colt45

Post by colt45 » 10 Dec 2014, 18:49

sound was great , sense also... not bad for hollywood

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 10 Dec 2014, 19:43

colt45 wrote:sound was great , sense also... not bad for hollywood
MG42, perfect. I told my wife, That's what Ma Deuce soynds like." (She never joins me on Long Gun Day.)
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Sarge3525

Post by Sarge3525 » 15 Jan 2015, 17:02

Absolutely insane film.
Unrealistic on so many levels. To be watched only for entertainment.
The thing that shocked me is that the usual past-time of defaming German soldiers now has extended to GIs aswell.

The tank crew is a murderous scum bunch. They even have anachronistic hairstyles (shaved on sides). They practically rape a German girl and then present it as normal behavior in war.
They beat and insult Waffen SS troops, shoot POW in cold blood, should I add more? Preposterous.
This is disgusting for WW2 vets who for the overwhelming part behaved not like pirates but like good soldiers.

And on the war scenes side....Too many unrealistic things to mention.
First thing would be "Ze dumb Germaaans", about 300 Waffen SS, failing to destroy a single immobilized tank. It was like watching the 300 film but set in WW2.
But the whole scene is absolutely insane.
300 Waffen SS in a war zone marching on a road singing loudly.
Then charging at a single tank and getting mowed down.
About half of them have panzerfausts but all miss except which doesnt even kill the occupants.

And of course the Tiger/Sherman fight...
The Tiger misses ridiculously many times, and when it shoots the Shermans doesnt blow them up...With an 88 at point blank range!

Mamma mia...
This is truly a film that disgusts me of WW2 films.
I think only the German films about the era are tolerable (Downfall, Stalingrad, etc).

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 15 Jan 2015, 17:37

I think it was a good thing to remind people that the GIs weren't saints. The mode of delivery might be a bit crude, but the point is important.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

aghart

Post by aghart » 01 Mar 2015, 11:05

tm10.jpg
The entrance looks good!
tm10.jpg (116.34 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
tm9.jpg
Information
tm9.jpg (102.54 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
tm11.jpg
Something seems to be missing?
tm11.jpg (109.63 KiB) Viewed 3171 times
tm8.jpg
The best laid plans?
tm8.jpg (66.75 KiB) Viewed 3171 times

I recently went to the Tank Museum at Bovington ( I live only 15 miles away) to see the "Fury" exhibition, slight problem in that the Sherman was not on show that day as it was in the workshop. I do know one of the Museum staff who worked on the film. He told me that the Sherman that lost it's turret to the Tiger was a dead hull with a plywood turret and that it was being dragged by a steel tow rope by the tank in front, that's why the scene was filmed from the front of the column (to hide the steel cable). He also explained that they told the film makers that in reality the Tiger would have stayed stationary and engaged the Sherman's from it's hidden location and picked them off at distance whilst having it's thick frontal armour facing the enemy. This however was not reality, it was a movie and entertainment not historical accuracy is paramount.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Mar 2015, 12:36

aghart wrote: This however was not reality, it was a movie and entertainment not historical accuracy is paramount.
Careful, you'll be burned as a witch if you keep saying that kind of thing. :lol:
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

PF

Post by PF » 02 Mar 2015, 14:29

YEAAH HOLLYWOOD IS ENTERTAINMENT NOT REALTY......A bridge on the River Kiwi comes to mine...according to a documentary on the Burma Railway..the bridge {Which in real life was bombed from the air} had a low death rate...but not so Hellfire pass....now which are is a movie been made from...although there there may be an occasional exceptions :lol: :roll: -yet even then characthers are compesites--and events as well...so it can conceivable that some one could see a reeneactment of something that happened to him...yet just not the way neither him remembers it.... :milwink:

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”