Where Eagles Dare

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Dortmund

Where Eagles Dare

Post by Dortmund » 02 Jun 2016, 13:42

I have a question about the movie Where Eagles Dare, I was shown on TV the other day and and there is a point that's been bothering me, can anybody help?

It's the scene after the guys have gotten into the castle and then Eastwood goes into the 'Funkraum' and kills the radio operator, O.K. so far. Later they are talking to the captured German Generals and Burton asks one of them to check his identity by making a call to Fieldmarshal Kesslering's H.Q. in Italy and speak to his Chief of Intelligence, Major Wilner, after all, they have "One of the most powerfull radio transmitters in Europe". The call was then made, WHO MADE THE CALL? The radio operator is dead! Do they have two "most powerful radio transmitters in Europe"? if so why kill only one radio operator?

If you take out this scene entirely, it works fine. If you have this scene inserted AFTER they leave the main room to stop any radio messages being sent out then this is also fine, but it makes no sense as it stands. I mean what the radio operators mate wants to come over for a coffee or chat about the latest football scores, or an officer wants send an important message or a sargent want to just check and make sure everything is alright or even if the guys shift is over and his replacement comes in to take over. Everything falls apart.

Did I miss something in the plot or is it just one of those stupid plot holes whis makes no sense?

Thanks for letting me get that of my chest, it has really been anoying me.
Dortmund

von thoma

Re: Where Eagles Dare

Post by von thoma » 03 Jun 2016, 23:07

I think the call is made by telephonic line, not radio.
and speak to his Chief of Intelligence, Major Wilner.
Where eagles dare.jpg
Where eagles dare.jpg (5.75 KiB) Viewed 10930 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

GregSingh

Post by GregSingh » 06 Jun 2016, 10:41

Yeah, they killed radio operator, but forgot to cut phone lines...
Good movie to watch, but don't go into details...90% of scenes are improbable.
Surely skilled commando can wreck a havoc, but Germans in that movie look like complete idiots.

Stephan

Post by Stephan » 19 Jun 2016, 19:30

A radio operator wasnt absolutely necessary to send, - maybe if they used only morse, and nobody else knew how to.
Of course, if someone unskilled send morse, all listeners would immediately understand someting funny was going on.
In fact, seasoned radio operators recognized each others just by their morse-sending technique.

The main task was to sit and listen / watch for coming in or coming out messages...

offizier1916

Post by offizier1916 » 21 Jun 2016, 17:28

sorry for off topic: this film was brilliant. this ridiculous Major von Hapen. As an gestapo officer wearing the german cross in gold and the Nahkampfspange in Gold? lol! and of course he is blonde and always wearing gloves. Hollywood as its best

kobold

Post by kobold » 09 Dec 2016, 23:09

I am surprised ( but also relieved) that there hasn't been a fast and furious/independance day
style remake...

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 15 Dec 2016, 03:01

kobold wrote:I am surprised ( but also relieved) that there hasn't been a fast and furious/independance day
style remake...
Don't give them any ideas... We'll see Brad Pitt and Shia Labeouf gunning their way through the Alps if we're unlucky.

kobold

Post by kobold » 17 Dec 2016, 01:56

my nightmare is always "starring Will Smith as a wisecracking [insert role here]" since that is all he ever plays.

Sampo Jämbeck

Post by Sampo Jämbeck » 06 Feb 2017, 22:24

The worst mistake in Where Eagles Dare is probably the helicopter.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 07 Feb 2017, 03:03

Yeah, heli was pure movie fiction, but it is just a movie, and all in all quite entertaining when viewed as a movie, not a docudrama

sitalkes

Post by sitalkes » 10 Feb 2017, 03:57

Sampo Jämbeck wrote:The worst mistake in Where Eagles Dare is probably the helicopter.
No, only the use of a US Bell 47 helicopter (first produced 1947) is wrong, the Germans did have helicopters that were used by mountain troops later in the war. Read this: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/sho ... hp?t=56377

Video of them here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVUwXzxHnww

Ryokai

Post by Ryokai » 20 May 2018, 03:14

The whole movie was riddled with errors.
The SS major wearing a black dress uniform when he would have been wearing feldgrau.
The 4-barrelled AA gun in the castle courtyard that would have restricted field of fire due to the castle walls. It should have been mounted on a tower.
The crashed car blowing up as soon as it went over the cliff, doesn't happen.
One passenger going through the windscreen of the crashed car while Clint Eastwood stays in the car mostly unharmed.
Clint Eastwood attempting to sneak up on the radio operator who was listening to music. In real life he would have shot him with a silenced pistol or just rushed him with the knife.
The JU-52 at the end reporting an engine out but actually landing with 3 engines working, this would have alerted the tower staff.
Richard Burton's team just waltzing around the military installation without being challenged.
The large dynamite bundles being secured to the fireplace pillars in the room, after the explosion the pillars are seen unmarked.

Mark in Cleveland, Tn.

Post by Mark in Cleveland, Tn. » 20 May 2018, 07:21

Well, your list is short compared to, as you see fit to post, factual vs.fiction, it's a mover AKA fantasy story.If you want to be picky, lets see, haircuts NON-regulation,,caps non regulation, fake smoke coming from castle in long shots, modern designed cable cars being used, post war Kubelwagons being sed, AT-6 Texana being used as German fighters, Germans speaking English, Germans understanding English, movie shot with darkening filters to simulate darkness, fake snow, come on man it's a movie!!

Richie B

Post by Richie B » 20 May 2018, 07:46

I am outraged, I thought it was a documentary. I'm going back to the cinema and demand a refund.

Pips

Post by Pips » 24 May 2018, 02:21

:D :D

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”