Games with identifiable units

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Marcus

Games with identifiable units

Post by Marcus » 18 Sep 2009, 09:45

I thought that we in this thread could collect information about games (computer games, video games, board games etc) dealing with WW2 were identifiable units are the focus of the game or notable for other reasons (games that include a large number of units such as Hearts of Iron are not really relevant here), it can be for example that they are the focus of the game, that the games covers a specific action where they played an important part or that it is seen on the markings or insignia (if the game does not focus on specific operations or units).

For example: "Barbarossa: Army Group South, 1941" designed by Vance von Borries and published by GMT Games deals with Heeresgruppe Süd.

This thread is inspired by the interesting info that have come up in the Movies with identifiable units thread.

/Marcus

LWD

Re: Games with identifiable units

Post by LWD » 18 Sep 2009, 14:14

Potentially a very large topic. Many WWII board games have "identifiable" units although it depends somewhat on how you define it. For instance in Squad Leader the counters are generic but the units are often identified in scenarios. Almost all naval wargames identify the individual ships or at least the larger ones.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 18 Sep 2009, 14:42

LWD wrote:Potentially a very large topic. Many WWII board games have "identifiable" units although it depends somewhat on how you define it. For instance in Squad Leader the counters are generic but the units are often identified in scenarios. Almost all naval wargames identify the individual ships or at least the larger ones.
True, for it to be manageable we probably need to limit the thread to units that are the focus of the game in question or are notable for other reasons.

/Marcus

Brady

Post by Brady » 15 Apr 2010, 01:47

You mean like Matrix Games, War In The Pacific/AE?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 15 Apr 2010, 08:43

Brady wrote:You mean like Matrix Games, War In The Pacific/AE?
Any types of games (board games, computer games, console games etc) with units that are the focus of the game in question or are notable for other reasons, so not a game that for example covers the whole Eastern front and all units active there.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 23 Oct 2011, 10:45

Any additions to this list?

/Marcus

LWD

Post by LWD » 24 Oct 2011, 14:59

Marcus Wendel wrote: Any types of games (board games, computer games, console games etc) with units that are the focus of the game in question or are notable for other reasons, so not a game that for example covers the whole Eastern front and all units active there. ...
Wasn't there a series of board games (Eurpopa series I t hink) where the object was to cover the whole war in Europe? I think they represented actual units down to regimental level specifically. If so does this count or not?

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 25 Oct 2011, 20:23

LWD wrote:Wasn't there a series of board games (Eurpopa series I t hink) where the object was to cover the whole war in Europe? I think they represented actual units down to regimental level specifically. If so does this count or not?
The idea of the thread was to include only games that focus on specific individual units or where specific such units play an important part.

/Marcus

LWD

Post by LWD » 26 Oct 2011, 16:07

Marcus Wendel wrote:
LWD wrote:Wasn't there a series of board games (Eurpopa series I t hink) where the object was to cover the whole war in Europe? I think they represented actual units down to regimental level specifically. If so does this count or not?
The idea of the thread was to include only games that focus on specific individual units or where specific such units play an important part.

/Marcus
Well the initial post did say where units were "specirically mentioned". In the games in that series did focus on particular campaigns and often specific units played important parts in those campaigns. I guess in part the question is what do you consider a "unit". Is Army Group Center a unit? or are you looking at division and below? Or some other level?

Ironmachine

Post by Ironmachine » 27 Oct 2011, 12:18

In board wargames there are many such games.

A good example could be the series about the Grossdeutschland in The Gamer's Tactical Combat Series. There are now three games:
GD'40: The Battle for Stonne, May 15, 1940.
GD'41: Battle for the Tula Highway, October 22-25, 1941.
GD'42: Battle in the Luchessa Valley Nov-Dec 1942.

In fact, almost all the games in The Gamer's Tactical Combat Series fall within the parameters of this thread (like for example Black Wednesday, about the Spanish Blue Division at the Battle of Krasni Bor).

Anohter example could be Decision Games' new series, called Famous Divisions. Funnily, the first game in the series, to be publised in World at War #20 magazine, is... Famous Divisions: Grossdeutschland Panzer. :lol:

Regards.

LWD

Post by LWD » 27 Oct 2011, 14:32

Not sure it's a good example of the above but one of the Eastern Front games had a Rudel counter and special rules associated with it.

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 27 Oct 2011, 19:23

LWD wrote:Well the initial post did say where units were "specirically mentioned". In the games in that series did focus on particular campaigns and often specific units played important parts in those campaigns. I guess in part the question is what do you consider a "unit". Is Army Group Center a unit? or are you looking at division and below? Or some other level?
I agree that the first post was a bit unclear. If a game focuses on the actions of Army Group Center then that would be a good example.

/Marcus

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 27 Oct 2011, 19:38

Thanks Ironmachine.

/Marcus

Galahad

Post by Galahad » 11 May 2012, 05:06

--I've played all of these and they can be quite challenging--and a lot of fun. Forming a kessel of multiple divisions is definitely fun. The major problem with the games, most of them, then and now, was finding an opponent (or opponents) who both knew the rules (of which there could be a LOT in the monster games) AND had the time needed to play a complete game. Something like Panzergruppe Guderian was playable in an afternoon, more or less. As were the Army Group South Quad games. But something like Wacht am Rhein was a major project involving a huge amount of time to complete.

--To start with, see if you can find a copy of Panzergruppe Guderian. It simulates the 1941 Battle of Smolensk. It was originally released by Simulations Publications, Inc. in 1976, and was re-issued by the Avalon Hill Company. As I recall, the German units represented the historical units in the battle.

--SPI did a number of operational level simulations on battles and campaigns on the Eastern Front, some of which used historical orders of battle. For example this link names several and gives links to info on each, though it first leads to the entry for PGG:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3041 ... e-guderian

--Also, there was Destruction of Army Group Center, about the Soviet summer offensive.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/8755 ... oup-center

--And, especially, Wacht am Rhein, a monster simulation of the Battle of the Bulge. It's a grand tactical simulation, with units at the regimental/battalion level, and as accurate an order of battle as could be found when it was released. This link describes the game and gives its components (which include 1600 counters):
http://mapandcounters.blogspot.com/2009 ... -1977.html

--Not to mention this: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5677/arnhem

--If you want more.....holler!

Trackhead M2

Post by Trackhead M2 » 12 May 2012, 16:16

Dear MW,
I still manage to play Victory in the Pacific , War at Sea, Battle of the Bulge and D-Day occasionally. The land campaign games do take time to set up and play. The naval games set up quickly and an afternoon is usually enough to play. I have had a couple interesting games of VITP where the Battle of Midway becomes almost like Jutland if the IJN has a low success rate at Pearl Harbor. Avalon Hill also used to make a real "beer and pizza" card game called Naval War where the Washington Naval Treaty really effects who can win. The surprising thing is my usual opponent is my now 20 year old daughter.
Strike Swiftly.
TH-M2

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”