Movie "Battle of the Bulge"

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
nebelwerferXXX

Re: Movie "Battle of the Bulge"

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 01 Sep 2010, 06:54

Clock with one cycle only: 50 hours, full-scale attack:
1) What's the fuel consumption?
2) What's the total number of rounds of ammunition fired?
3) Where's the furthest advances did the Germans reached?

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 01 Sep 2010, 12:31

Yes... Battle of the Bulge - the battle someone had heard about, and wrote a script from memory. Anyone heard of the tank battle for Amblève? You can learn all about it in the movie, but don't check with the historical sources... The conflation of von der Heydte's paratroopers and Skorzeny's commandos... Hessler's M3-towed HQ caravan... The Germans referring to mist and cloudy weather negating the Allied air superiority, only to have most of the movie take place in sunny weather... Yeah, the movie is a hoot.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 01 Sep 2010, 13:27

IvanSR wrote:I believe you are talking about Battleground, which depicts the battle of Bastogne.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041163
Oh, SNAP!
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Bellum se ipsum alet, mostly Doritos.

stickdude

Post by stickdude » 01 Sep 2010, 17:52

While I don't disagree that historical inaccuracies, the weather, etc. can be very annoying you have to keep in mind that these morons in hollywood DONT CARE what actually happened, couple that with the fact that even DOCUMENTARIES need only be based on a true subject, but have absolutely no historically accurate material, for them to be considered documentaries to hollywood. Also, they're trying to tell the story of an event that occurred over the course of weeks in a couple of hours - characters and timelines are combined and altered to fit into what they intended.

I think some are being a bit nit picky - it was a decent movie but I never watched it expecting reality, in fact quite the opposite. The last place I'd ever go for truth, facts or history is hollywood - I'd rather trust a politician to be honest!

I have scant little respect for hollywood, their revisionist history, their idiotic agendas and their general ignorance about the real world - but lets keep in mind that their goal is solely to make money and to entertain (although I'd also argue they have a propaganda agenda in the modern era) with 'entertain' being way behind making money. Just look at the current crop of crap coming from the mindless twits, all re-makes or the same re-hashed stories over and over and over again. For all the empty hype about 'Avatar' it was still the same old story we've seen over and over again, the only difference is characters and location.

IvanSR

Post by IvanSR » 02 Sep 2010, 04:08

OpanaPointer wrote:
IvanSR wrote:I believe you are talking about Battleground, which depicts the battle of Bastogne.

Oh, SNAP!
What is SNAP? :)

IvanSR

Post by IvanSR » 02 Sep 2010, 04:10

stickdude wrote:While I don't disagree that historical inaccuracies, the weather, etc. can be very annoying you have to keep in mind that these morons in hollywood DONT CARE what actually happened, couple that with the fact that even DOCUMENTARIES need only be based on a true subject, but have absolutely no historically accurate material, for them to be considered documentaries to hollywood. Also, they're trying to tell the story of an event that occurred over the course of weeks in a couple of hours - characters and timelines are combined and altered to fit into what they intended.

I think some are being a bit nit picky - it was a decent movie but I never watched it expecting reality, in fact quite the opposite. The last place I'd ever go for truth, facts or history is hollywood - I'd rather trust a politician to be honest!

I have scant little respect for hollywood, their revisionist history, their idiotic agendas and their general ignorance about the real world - but lets keep in mind that their goal is solely to make money and to entertain (although I'd also argue they have a propaganda agenda in the modern era) with 'entertain' being way behind making money. Just look at the current crop of crap coming from the mindless twits, all re-makes or the same re-hashed stories over and over and over again. For all the empty hype about 'Avatar' it was still the same old story we've seen over and over again, the only difference is characters and location.
Yes, some are being a bit nit picky, because they keep in mind that at the same time BoTB was made, there have been also good and historically far more accurate war movies that came from Hollywood (A Bridge Too Far is a great example).

Today's Hollywood is a different song.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Sep 2010, 08:42

IvanSR wrote:
OpanaPointer wrote:

Oh, SNAP!
What is SNAP? :)
It's a phrase that means "You beat me to it." This scene sticks in my mind from that movie:

Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

IvanSR

Post by IvanSR » 02 Sep 2010, 12:26

Seeing air support for the first time?

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Sep 2010, 14:24

IvanSR wrote:Seeing air support for the first time?
And not sure which side it's on.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

Harro

Post by Harro » 02 Sep 2010, 15:20

IvanSR wrote:Yes, some are being a bit nit picky, because they keep in mind that at the same time BoTB was made, there have been also good and historically far more accurate war movies that came from Hollywood (A Bridge Too Far is a great example).
Yu do realize that "A Bride too Far" was made a decade later and with a budget the makers of "Battle of the Bulge" could only dream about? Apart from time and budget we're talking adventure movies vs. historical drama.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Sep 2010, 16:15

Some friends of mine were complaing about the "liberties" Peter Jackson took with The Lord of the Rings. I told them "it's a move about the world Tolkien created." Same with these movies, it's about the war, it's not the war. Taking movies to seriously leads to madness. 8-)
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

B Hellqvist

Post by B Hellqvist » 02 Sep 2010, 21:22

It is one thing to simplify events, conflate characters, introduce fictious characters and lesser events, and making a movie that rapes history. Like the "Battle of Amblève" I mentioned above - instead of using some historical event, they made up a battle. I don't expect 100% accuracy from Hollywood (or Pinewood, or Babelsberg, or whatever other studio is behind a film), but having all those resources at hand, just 20 years after the events, and producing a piece of shit is an affront to the veterans and audience.

OpanaPointer
Financial supporter

Post by OpanaPointer » 02 Sep 2010, 21:26

B Hellqvist wrote:It is one thing to simplify events, conflate characters, introduce fictious characters and lesser events, and making a movie that rapes history. Like the "Battle of Amblève" I mentioned above - instead of using some historical event, they made up a battle. I don't expect 100% accuracy from Hollywood (or Pinewood, or Babelsberg, or whatever other studio is behind a film), but having all those resources at hand, just 20 years after the events, and producing a piece of shit is an affront to the veterans and audience.
Think of it as an art school with a history department. You get the Maji were Renaissance clothes, Alexander wearing Roman armor, etc. Pretty. Nonsense. Pretty nonsense.
Come visit our sites:
hyperwarHyperwar
World War II Resources

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 26 Dec 2010, 01:49

I am watching it right now...Very Good movie for Christmas!

nebelwerferXXX

Post by nebelwerferXXX » 25 Jan 2011, 06:58

How about a remake for instance of the 'Battle of the Bulge' for today's moviegoers?

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”